Gazza back in the game

steffdrum33

Former England midfielder Paul Gascoigne has returned to football as the manager of non-league club Garforth Town.

The 43-year-old has endured a multitude of problems since his retirement from playing professional football, as he has had to deal with alcoholism, mental illness as well as personal legal problems.

The former Newcastle United and Tottenham Hotspur midfielder's last stint in a managerial position saw him being sacked after only 39 days in charge of Kettering Town, with the owner citing alcohol abuse as the reason behind getting rid of 'Gazza'.

"It went really well there [at Kettering Town]," Gascoigne told the News of the World.

"The chairman tried to blame it on the drink but it was totally untrue. He stopped me coaching and he wanted to become manager."

But now having become the manager of the Miners, Gascoigne is looking forward to taking the club to new heights.

"I feel strong right now," he said. "For me personally it's a big challenge. It's whether the players want to join me in that challenge.

"I never knew when I'd get back into football. I want to take the club forward and I want the players to develop.

"I will give commitment to the club. Going to a club like this does not bother me one bit.

"I love this type of football. It is not flash and the players won't be flash.

"I will get the same publicity at Garforth as if I was at a Premier League club and I don't want the players to get carried away with it.

"I am excited. I can't wait to get in and get started but of course I will be nervous.

"I will take a little bit from each manager I've worked with and I want the players to play with a smile on their faces.

"The spotlight has never really been turned off for me.

"I just hope people concentrate on results rather than the other sh**ty stuff.

"Is it my last chance? It's up to me."

Good luck to him .

I live 25 mins away from garforth looks like I have found a second side to follow now!!! Get in there Gazza and keep ur head son!!!! Garforth has A good little ground and decent training facilities and also is a little tie in wi Leeds Utd,

Keep us updated mate. :crabflute:

Just thought i'd let you know the only place to find bang up-to-date Garforth Town info is the fan site...

My link

I'm an Evertonian from Leeds who got into Garforth a few years ago!

Gazza's just one of a long list of players that've played for Rangers and Everton, now I wish him all the best at Garforth.

We'll try and keep you updated with how things go.