Ralph Brand

bringonthbarca

Ive been looking into some players from previous generations and have been reading up on ralph brand a bit. I know he had a phenomenonal scoring record (206 apps 127 goals), but im just wandering if any of the older bears can tell somemore about him. Wikipedia is good at stating the facts but doesnt really tell us the opinions of the fans.

Any info very welcome!

Just about remember... Henderson MacMillan Miller Brand and Wilson. Top goalscorer only behind DJ and MacCoist post war. Left in 1965 for Man City. Reason I would imagine was that Rangers refused to match the money on offer down south, same with Baxter.

He was a real goal poacher similar to Jimmy Greaves.He fed off Jimmy Millar and the two great wingers Rangers had at the time.He was never one to be doing that much outside of the box i.e. back tracking or tackling etc but inside the box he was deadly.Probably similar to Kris Boyd but never regarded as lazy or had question marks around his contribution to the rest of the game but it was different then.Forwards were forwards and defenders were defenders with no real expectation for them to do more than the basic job.McMillan was the playmaker and most of the attacking options went through him.

I can mind the League Cup Final against Hearts when we beat them 3-1. Davie Wilson crossed a ball into the box and Brand put a great header past the goalkeeper into the net, it was a great goal. Can also mind when he won his first ever Scottish Cup Medal when we beat St Mirren 2-0 and he scored that day, that was 1961-62 season.

Brand was a top class goalscorer and always seemed to be in the right position to score goals. He also scored 2 goals on his debut against Kilmarnock, and when you think that he scored 206 goals for our club and that was in spite of spending most of 1955 and 1956 on national service.

He also played in seven finals with Rangers scoring six goals and never on a losing side. Also Millar Brand and Wilson, what a trio that was who caused havoc against other teams.Can mind the song that we used to sing was, with heart and hand, and Ralpie Brand we will guard old Derrys Walls.

I can mind the League Cup Final against Hearts when we beat them 3-1. Davie Wilson crossed a ball into the box and Brand put a great header past the goalkeeper into the net, it was a great goal. Can also mind when he won his first ever Scottish Cup Medal when we beat St Mirren 2-0 and he scored that day, that was 1961-62 season.

Brand was a top class goalscorer and always seemed to be in the right position to score goals. He also scored 2 goals on his debut against Kilmarnock, and when you think that he scored 206 goals for our club and that was in spite of spending most of 1955 and 1956 on national service.

He also played in seven finals with Rangers scoring six goals and never on a losing side. Also Millar Brand and Wilson, what a trio that was who caused havoc against other teams.Can mind the song that we used to sing was, with heart and hand, and Ralpie Brand we will guard old Derrys Walls.

You are in your element today Minstral, plenty of reminiscing going on.

Was my favorite player in that team :h34rt:

After he hung up his boots, he went on to manage Darlington in the lower leagues in England...Initially he was reasonably successful, but ultimately got the sack. I remember there was a "fly on the wall" documentary on the TV about him and Darlington. Most of the script in the Dressing Room pre match had to be bleeped out, as the language was too colourful for a 1970's TV audience. He came across a really good bloke, and committed manager.

post-48296-040920200 1288104761_thumb.jp

Wasnt there some sort of 'sensationalised' article in the News of the World where ralph supposedly

lifted the lid on Rangers signing policies.

I dont remember what was in it as i was still a youngster, maybe Minstral knows. Probably a load of codswallop!

Wasnt there some sort of 'sensationalised' article in the News of the World where ralph supposedly

lifted the lid on Rangers signing policies.

I dont remember what was in it as i was still a youngster, maybe Minstral knows. Probably a load of codswallop!

Yes mate Ralph Brand accused the club of having a sectarian policy.

Ralph was a brilliant player for us and minstral has just about covered all the facts about Ralph.

Ralph was (and probably still is) a funny man,but very serious when it came to tactics and how the game should be played.

I was lucky enough to meet him on a few occasions due to my father being friends with a few of the Rangers players of the time.

The first thing you noticed about Ralph was that he had a slight stammer and a few of the players used to wind him up about it, if I remember correctly.

I remember him telling a story about how he used to try and get wee Jimmy Millar to get more tactical...Now whether this was true or not, it was a real funny anecdote.

Apparently,Jimmy and Ralph used to travel to Glasgow every day on the train from Edinburgh (along with a very young John Greig) for training and Ralph used to get into Jimmy's ear about formations, moves off the ball etc! to which Jimmy used to nod his head and say,"Aye Ralphie" and then at training, he would try and get Jimmy to practice these moves for the game on the Saturday.

So comes the Saturday and we are kicking off at Ibrox and Ralph turns to Jimmy and says to him; "Right Jimmy! Do you remember that move we have been talking about on the train?

Jimmy replied..."Haven't got a fucking clue, Ralphie" and kicked off.

Definitely one of the very best we ever had at Ibrox.

It created a bit of a storm too if I remember my history books correctly. One of the big wigs in the press at the time who was staunchly Rangers replied with an article called 'Come off it Ralphie'

Ozblue that is a great story :lol:

As I said, Samuel, Ralphie was a funny guy and I can still see in my mind the way his face twitched when he was trying to get the words out. I was lucky enough to meet many of the Rangers players and I can tell you that Ralph Brand was one of the most astute thinkers of football of his generation.