Jamie Ness interview

Boab

Jan 9 2011 Mark Guidi, Sunday Mail

JAMIE NESS is desperate to savour more massive games with Rangers after relishing his Old Firm baptism of fi re.

The 19-year-old midfielder was handed his fi rst top-team start in last week's derby and caught the eye with a great performance.

The kid from Troon was stunned to hear boss Walter Smith read out his name as he announced the team just hours before kick-off.

But he was far from fazed by the red-hot atmosphere and impressed as he confidently sprayed the ball about with his left foot. Ness was one of the few plus points for Gers as they crashed to a 2-0 defeat at Ibrox.

And he hopes his display will be enough to keep him in the team for tomorrow's Scottish Cup showdown with Kilmarnock.

Ness said: "It took me a few days to come to terms with everything because it was unbelievable to play against Celtic.

"The manager only announced the team a couple of hours before kick-off in the hotel.

"I had no suspicion I might be in the line-up so it was a bit of a shock. I was surprised but then excited.

"I wasn't nervous at all and was just looking forward to it.

"A lot of the players and coaches spoke to me about the game and told me to go out and enjoy it. I think that's what I did.

"Once the game started I didn't feel pressure - it was just exciting.

"I might have been more nervous had I known a day or two before. Maybe that's the reason they don't tell us until just before kick-off!

"Thinking back, it was all a bit of a blur because it went so quickly.

"I was disappointed with the result but happy that I had played and made my full debut.

"We dominated the first half but didn't start the second period as well as we should have.

"That helped Celtic get on top and after they got the first goal we were always chasing the game.

"I still enjoyed it though. I was happy to knock the ball about and I'd like to think passing is one of my best attributes.

"I was just trying to get the team on the front foot at the start, to play in Celtic's half and get on top of them. I felt we managed that for the first 20 minutes.

"I hope to be an all-round midfielder. I maybe don't score enough goals and that is something I need to work on - but I can defend and attack."

Ibrox coach Ian Durrant was that kind of player during his heyday and Ness claims he has been a huge influence on his career.

He said: "Ian has played a part in getting me here. He has been a big influence in the last couple of years. Ian has been brilliant.

"He was reserve coach when I first came to Ibrox so I've been involved with him from an early age. He has helped me along."

Boss Smith has been forced to rely on youngsters more this term as he works with a smaller squad.

So Ness is out to make an impact in the second half of the season. He said: "I hope I will have the chance to play a part between now and the end of the campaign.

"We have a small squad and if there's a couple of injuries then youngsters will need to step up when they get their chance.

"Kyle Hutton and Darren Cole have played in Europe and done well so hopefully we will all be involved more."

Ness would love to face Killie in the fourth-round Cup clash at Ibrox tomorrow as he was on the Rugby Park club's books before moving to Rangers fi ve years ago.

He said: "I'm a Troon lad so I played for Kilmarnock's Under-14s before going to Ibrox.

"Steven Naismith was in the first team when I was at Killie while Durrant was coaching there. He watched a couple of youth games at the time.

"After playing against Rangers with Kilmarnock they got interested in me. My contract had run down and when Rangers are interested in you it's an obvious choice.

"After looking at Murray Park I saw the standards and facilities were second to none in Scotland.

"So I felt this would be the best place for me to develop.

"Now it's about trying to stay in the first team. I'd like to play against Kilmarnock.

"Naismith and Maurice Edu might be back for Monday so there's more competition but it would be nice if I could play a part at some stage.

"I've been really impressed with Kilmarnock this season, Alexei Eremenko, Ben Gordon and Conor Sammon have been in fine form."

Injuries have held back Ness in the last few seasons but he hopes the problems are now behind him.

He said: "I've struggled with quite a few injuries in recent years.

"But I had an operation on my hernia in the summer which might have been the source of my problems. Hopefully that's it sorted now and I can kick on."

Boss Smith is sure the teenager will be a major asset as Gers mount their push for honours. He said: "Jamie is a bright and confident lad. Numerous injuries held him back but he's now starting to show promise.

"When I came back to Rangers the youth team staff spoke very highly of him.

"I now hope Jamie can go on and get a number of first-team games under his belt."

Good inteview, I hope to see more of him too.

http://www.<No links to this website>/football/spl/rangers/2011/01/09/jamie-ness-i-m-ready-for-more-first-team-action-after-old-firm-debut-86908-22836794/

I still haven't seen him play a whole match yet, but from the little I saw, and from what everybody's saying on here, it seems like he's ready for the first team. I'm actually really happy that we have at least four kids from Murray Park who have shown that they're capable of playing for us right now.

he`s only played 1 and a half games for us