David Murray - Legend or a Spent-force

Frankie

Now, please before we get started, this analysis is neither pro or anti David Murray, but merely a clarification of certain issues. Also, I've deliberately not went into too much depth as to avoid confusion and apologies if I have made any errors in my analysis.

David Murray was born in Ayr on 14/10/1951 and up until his purchase of Rangers was a decent rugby player and partly interested in Ayr United football team. Indeed, in the mid-80s he wanted to buy Ayr but his approach was rebuffed at that time.

Therefore in 1988 he bought Rangers FC from the Lawrence group who had owned the club for a number of years. Hence, Murray was NOT responsible for starting the so-called Rangers/Souness revolution despite what many fans still believe. Souness was actually brought to the club by then chairman David Holmes. These 2 men were then responsible for the return of the SPL championship to Ibrox for the first time in nearly 10 years. Indeed, despite many failing memories, Murray was not involved in the purchase of players such as Woods, Butcher and Gough amongst others.

In actual fact, Murray despite buying the club in November 1988, didn't even become chairman until June 1989.

After that, Murray was partly responsible for some of the best years we have ever had. 9-in-a-row, attracting players such as Goram, Laudrup and Gascoigne and our incredible run in the inaugural CL season in 1992/93 are all things that can be directly attributed to our custodian. For those, he should be quite rightly lauded and loved by every fan. However, this admiration should go both ways as I'll show later.

David Murray bought Rangers for £6million in 1988. The club, due to various factors, is now worth around £40-80million depending on one's viewpoint. When he sells that could yield a 1000% return on his initial investment. Of course, he has also contributed greatly to various share issues; possibly as much as £80million during his 18 year tenure. We have also spent nearly £200million in transfers and ground improvements such as the Club Deck. All for the good of Rangers and more genuine reasons for us to respect Murray.

But let's not forget OUR investment which isn’t just emotional. Rangers fans conservatively invest around £25million per year in the club without ANY say in where our money goes. All in all, that's around £400million+ since Murray took over. I'll let you do the math with regard to where the money really came from for certain aspects of which Murray often takes ALL the credit for. Certainly, at the very least, we should been part of, or privvy, to any decision-making. Hopefully that will change in the future with fans’ groups such as the RST being ever-more involved with the club. A new owner may also be interested in having more credibility by involving the fans at board level.

Now, I'm not saying Murray is a bad man or not worth having at Rangers. He is and he does genuinely want the best for RFC in many ways. However, he's not the omnipotent figure many fans think he is. He's made many mistakes, not least wasting £100 million over 3 years from 1998/99. Yes, his ambition and loyalty to Advocaat's attempt at relative CL success was exciting. Yes, many of us didn't harbour reservations at the time. But, he should have been much more careful. He is the custodian and he is responsible for our club. He should never have allowed £83million of debt to happen. Never. For that he is guilty of mismanagement and even he acknowledges mistakes have been made.

There have been other issues of which I won't go into detail here about but suffice to say that Rangers fans should respect and admire Murray but at the same time he's not irreplaceable and not everything he touches turns to gold. In addition, as much as many fans adore him, he won't be here forever. Murray has already indicated that he will not be leaving the club to his sons. As such, because of his age (he's 55) he has been making plans for moving the club on. That may be in the summer or perhaps more in the medium term. But it will happen. Ergo, he and the fans should be prepared for this inevitability.

After another season of disappointment and off the field problems, the next few months will arguably be the most important of Murray's time at the club. His influence can always be debated. Now, is the time for him to really show his love for Rangers and his excellent business acumen. It's not a time for spin and half-truths. We'll soon see what David Murray is made of.

Is he really a legend? Or will he be remembered as the chairman who helped bring back the glory days but didn’t really have the vision to build on them. Time is not in his side any more. The trophy cupboard is bare once again and our detractors are lurking in the shadows to apply what could be deadly pressure.

Can we really trust David Murray to bring us back from the edge of oblivion?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Under no circumastances can he be trusted after making such a statement....

''I dont have the stomach for the job any longer''

Can you imagine yer best Rangers pal saying he doesnt want to go and see the Gers anymore, the friendship would sieze there and then wouldnt it....its shocking

Unfortunately I think the answer is no, we cannot trust the man to protect our club from those who oppose us. Furthermore, the lack of spending 50K here, 300K their has left us to lose out on some players that would have been good additions to the squad, not top drawer but certainly better than some players we have on our books.

Unfortunately I think the answer is no, we cannot trust the man to protect our club from those who oppose us. Further,ore, the lack of spending 50K here, 300K their has left us to lose out on some players that would have been good additions to the squad, not top drawer but certainly better than some players we have on our books.

Which begs the question where can we turn our attention to with regard to a new owner?

Murray wants £x amount to sell and isn't getting it. Meanwhile our club is stagnating under his stewardship (or lack of it). Yet, still the vast majority of Rangers fans won't hear a bad word against him.

How long until the average Joe realises that maybe, just maybe, we're not progressing with SDM at the helm?

He seems to have no enthusiasm for the club any more and for me re-appointing Walter Smith showed a total lack of ambition. I would like him to go now.

When you hear the barstewards name just remind yourselves about what he said...need we say more !

The thing that gets me about the Murray supporters - as you say Frankie they won't hear a word against him.

Well I wish he's gtf, but I do appreciate that we had some great times under him.

But if he gets credit for those times, surely he must take some (most if not all for me) of the blame for the shambles that is RFC in 2007?

The thing that gets me about the Murray supporters - as you say Frankie they won't hear a word against him.

Well I wish he's gtf, but I do appreciate that we had some great times under him.

But if he gets credit for those times, surely he must take some (most if not all for me) of the blame for the shambles that is RFC in 2007?

Who are these people who defend him..Ive only came across backers on forums and I dont believe they are Rangers supporters

Most guyz I know personally face to face want him out quick feckin style beleive me

Well, considering the number of people who violently opposed a peacful protest against SDM last year as well as the vast majority of fans who couldn't care less about 'political' issues, I'd say that unfortunately most Rangers fans are still happy enough with the status quo.

What worries me is if your wish is granted and he sells, who will we end up with?

While i agree SDM's best years are behind him, i don't want some crazed Russian dictator taking over our club.

Look at Hearts! Romanov was going to bring that club to the top, the fans were over the moon when he bought the club! Ask them how they feel now?

What worries me is if your wish is granted and he sells, who will we end up with?

While i agree SDM's best years are behind him, i don't want some crazed Russian dictator taking over our club.

Look at Hearts! Romanov was going to bring that club to the top, the fans were over the moon when he bought the club! Ask them how they feel now?

Hearts were given plenty warnings about the eccentricities of Romanov but Robinson chose to sell anyway.

No Rangers fan, Murray critic or not, wants someone similar to Romanov in charge and none would be so fickle to suggest anthing other than extensive due diligence was performed on any prospective buyer.

For that reason, I'd actually be pretty happy if Murray retained a fair amount of his shareholding and stayed on the board in some capacity. Of course, any new owner is risky (Murray himself was nearly 20 years ago) but we can't afford to stay too conservative or we may scare away any interested parties.

Under no circumastances can he be trusted after making such a statement....

Fs he seems to think we're a feckin toy.

Murray only thinks about himself. Yes we've had good times and bad times but Murray only takes credit for the positive.

The guys a weasel. He only wrote off the debt so it would be easier to sell.

He ain't going to supply regular cash funds so GTF :pipeguy:

Can we really trust David Murray to bring us back from the edge of oblivion?

No, he has no time for us, he doesn't have the drive, enthusiasm for the club and is no longer willing to spend on the quality that we need.

At times when we need backing he is nowhere to be seen. Murray's time is up, he must go. He is not interested and until he goes we will continue to be a shambles both on and off the park.

We need a new leader, someone with a bit of drive and heart. A guy that will bring in new ideas and direction to the club.

I get really pissed off listening to you guyz comparing us with Hertz...I couldnt give a feck about them so feckin drop it

''Ohhh look whats happening tae Hertz do you want the same for us''.......load a feckin pesh grow feckin up will yeez !!

Nothing lets Murray off the hook and sometimes I feel like accepting the likes of Romanov just for the change coz that sly barsteward is walking all over the top of us just the way Romanov does but the differenc e is Murray stays silent while he does it

Moreover, as much as we all make fun of Romanov, during his time at Hearts they finished above us last year and have pushed us all the way this season. And he hasn't taken any crap from the media (as much as his strategy is perhaps a bit eccentric)....

Moreover, as much as we all make fun of Romanov, during his time at Hearts they finished above us last year and have pushed us all the way this season. And he hasn't taken any crap from the media (as much as his strategy is perhaps a bit eccentric)....

But he does have over 40 1st team players and goes through managers like toilet paper.

But he does have over 40 1st team players and goes through managers like toilet paper.

Oh, the guy is a clown but as I say, Hearts have been better than us domestically over the last 2 years. They have had a 2nd place and a Scottish Cup. We've have had a 3rd place and no cups.

Guest orangpendek

in so far as a chairman can be a legend, he's done ok. his role is to provide stability without which a club cannot function - look at hearts - ensure revenue continues to flow into the club and ensure the overall well being of the 'institution,' so to speak. he's certainly done the first, which imo cannot be under-estimated - look at how many english teams crash and burn under 'messiah' chairmen who then bail out to the bahamas or wherever. did the second and third for a time when the living was easy with the sky money etc, but now must be regarded as a spent force. so, to answer the question, was the first is now the second.

Some things need to be cleared up.

We can slate SDM and I agree he has been poor of late, but I believe he was badly let down by PLG who SDM and all of us thought would really be a saviour and not the fud he turned out to be.

SDM I agree really needs to stand up strongly just now for RFC, stop his whingeing and bring in some quality players.

RFC need a STRONGMAN as chairman just now and one prepared to SHOUT OUT all we are doing anti-sectarianwise to ALL AND SUNDRY in the NEWSPAPERS and TV.

He needs to get all the publicity back on OUR side by a constant reassuring publicity campaign and then get that over into UEFA too.

This is not a time for silence - just the opposite.

He also needs to let the fans know where he stands re RFC. Is he going? If so WHEN?

SDM - This is your chance to regain some respect lost in your recent moonbeam statements.

Exactly nvager.

Clarity, leadership and direction have never been more required during Murray's tenure. But the question is can we trust him to deliver these essential virtues?

The jury is out on that one but with every passing day the answer becomes clearer.

Guest orangpendek

but he's made it quite obvious he doesn't want to do these things! plainly he doesn't trust his judgement after the plg fiasco, and the cumulative failures in europe over the years. we can hardly argue that murray's maybe losing his touch when he's as good as come out and said so himself.

but he's made it quite obvious he doesn't want to do these things! plainly he doesn't trust his judgement after the plg fiasco, and the cumulative failures in europe over the years. we can hardly argue that murray's maybe losing his touch when he's as good as come out and said so himself.

Indeed. So why do so many fans still back the man?

More importantly, where do we go from here? What are the alternatives?

that's the 64,000 dollar question. has anyone heard any names of pospective new owners?

There are people interested but it's debatable whether or not they have the required finance to meet SDM's asking price whilst still having the money to change things around on and off the pitch.

that's the 64,000 dollar question. has anyone heard any names of pospective new owners?

The sly one is doing his best to attract bad publicity for RFC to distract buyers away from the club

He just wants to hold on to it and fill the stadium with 50.000 suckers every 2nd week or so

Hence the reason he goes by the name..The sly devious one