***Pregame Analysis - Rangers versus PSV Eindhoven***

nvager

Rangers versus PSV Eindhoven in the Europa Cup at Ibrox stadium, Glasgow, on Thursday March 17, 2011. Kick-Off 8:05 PM

A tricky game lies in store for Rangers and PSV on Thursday night. We are at home, but have no away goals. The tie is balanced on a knife edge. We are proficient defensively in Europe, but not too good at scoring goals or winning games outright. We will have to win on Thursday to go through unless we tie 0-0 after extra time and win on penalties.

The omens are good starting with Sporting lisbon and now PSV. Past history is with us. PSV have never beaten us nor any Scottish club.

Is that enough to see us through? Heck no! We will need to score and we have a limited amount of decent strikers. One and he is ineligible. We will need to make do with Diouf, Healy, Lafferty or Hemmings - maybe Naismith if fit? We need to add pace to the team badly. We need to put pressure on their defence. At the same time guard against an away goal. This is the tricky part. It is a big ask.

What will Walter do. It is certain that he will play another 5-4-1 formation but hope to attack more. If so please use pace on our wings. Play Weiss on the right and Wylde on the left. Play Davis and Whittaker/Hutton in the middle? Edu is just so off form! Play Lafferty/Healy/Hemmings up front. Diouf has too little pace.

I would be tempted to bring on Hemmings if PSV score. It would be great if Naismith was fit or Ness, but I really doubt they will be.

I would then play McGregor, Foster, Bougherra, Weir, Bartley, Papac, Weiss, Davis, Hutton/Whittaker, Wylde, Lafferty/Healy/Hemmings.

We need to get our midfield fully functional early in this game. No excuses we need to get off to a great start. If we concede a goal we will be playing catch up and in a really bad position, but that's not to say we defend like crazy at home. Put them under attack. It is the best way.

A win is very possible but it will be one heck of a game as hopefully we do the right thing and win at home. Let Ibrox rock! Rangers 2-1 PSV Eindhoven. Who's next?

Their fullbacks looked decent and 541 that Walter will go with there is no way the starting wide men should be both Weiss and Wylde and they just dont have the defensive capabilities or dicipline for that job - Foster has looked competent in that role and has a good engine and could support Weiss on right. I think Papac does get caught a bit but solid enough but with Whittaker in front of him that carries threat and pace and reasonably solid defensively.

Despite his shit form I cant see Edu being dropped unless Hutton is fit, but given Huttons injury lay off cant see him getting a start so Edu will get the nod along with Davis. I do think some pace is needed so Weiss might get the nod for one of the wider roles so would see him and Whittake wider in midfield. I think Diouf will be used just to hold the ball up initially with Laffterty replacing him on 70 minutes or so.

McGregor

Foster Bougherra, Weir, Bartley, Papac

Weis David Edu Whittaker

Diouf

Laffterty for Diouf, Hutton for Edu and Wylde for Weiss on or around 70 minutes if needing to chase the game.

Would love to see Naimith back.

Would start with an attacking 4-1-3-2 reverting to Davis dropping back alongside Hutton in a 4-2-3-1 when under pressure, with Lafferty dropping back between the 2 wide men.

McGregor

Foster Bougherra Bartley Papac

Hutton

Weiss Davis Diouf

Healy Lafferty

But it'll be 5-4-1 i'm sure.

We will play 5-4-1 no doubt about it.

Going from the previous european games we always look most likely to get joy from our wing backs in one of Foster, Whittaker and Papac. Whittaker would offer a better attaking option from wing back than Papac but i'm pretty sure Smith will go with Papac.

Diouf will be the loan striker again, the only dilema i see Smith having is how to shape the midfield. Davis right or centre? Whittaker right or left?

I think he will go for...

McGregor

Foster Boughy Weir Bartley Papac

Davis Edu Hutton Whittaker

Diouf

The alternative midfield would be...

Whittaker Davis Edu Lafferty.

I can't see the starting line up differ much from these.

With Weiss, Lafferty, Hemmings, Healy, Naismith and Ness all potentially on the bench I think Smith will try to keep it tight for 60/70 minutes then try putting on Weiss for a bit of pace and maybe Lafferty or Naismith to try get in behind them from midfield to snatch a goal!

I'm positive that they will score , they have too much of an attacking threat not to score on 180 mins of football

I just don't know where our goals are going to come from

Our free kicks / corners are a joke and have been for 8 yrs

I hate Papac playing as a wingback in a 5 as he isn't attacking enough

I agree mate, Whittaker and Foster are much better at full back than Papac but i really can't see Smith not playing Papac at left back!