Defence next season

Andyy53

With Bougherra probably leaving, Weir hopefully calling it a day, Foster going back to Aberdeen and Papac said to be leaving too, we really need to strengthen our defense next season. I've heard were after that Brazillian guy, Douglao I think hes called, but IMO we would need another 4 or 5 defenders to be safe for the season, assuming they all leave. I for one would love Bartley to stay, whether it be on loan or permanent, as I think he looks a leader in the making, something which we really need, a leader. But I have no idea on other defensive players who we could afford. If they can find players like Izzaguire on the cheap, whats to stop us? Theres only a few I'd take from the SPL to be honest, and even thats pushing it. What do yous reckon?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Full back wise I think Lee Wallace and Keith Watson have massive potential. Paul Dixon arguably has the best cross in the SPL at the moment, his cross for DU's second goal was outstanding against us.

Would love to see Ross Perry given a chance next season as he could become another Wilson if not better.

:drugang:

Full back wise I think Lee Wallace and Keith Watson have massive potential. Paul Dixon arguably has the best cross in the SPL at the moment, his cross for DU's second goal was outstanding against us.

Would love to see Ross Perry given a chance next season as he could become another Wilson if not better.

Watched Wallace a few times against Mcgayday when their game was on setanta a few years ago, very rarely beaten. As for Dixon, I agree. Not seen any of Watson to comment on him. Think we might go back for that championship guy we were supposed to be interested in in Jan. I wonder.

Wee Cole and Hegerty might get the chance to step up or that big Polish boy in our youth team, im sure at least one of these boys will feature next season.

So we now have at least 3 guarentee'd defenders for next season and maybe 4 wae that Brazilian boy...

Maybe Bamba is worth a look or that other big boy Dikoh at hibs? Cheap and seem to do a decent job time to time. Am sure Ally has this as a top priority with naming a defender hes intrested in already, so am sure Rangers scouts are busy as we speak :sherlock:

Really don't see why the lad is disliked on here. Been excellent for Hearts the last few seasons.

Wallace is solid, has a sweet left foot. Of-course he has areas that would need to be addressed, but at a better team I think he could thrive.

IIRC his contract expires in 2012, so could get him on the cheap. Dixon is another with potential. I know many on this board don't like to sign 'SPL players' but some of these lads have potential to become very good IMO.

Watson was the best player on the park that day, had Wylde in his back pocket and made about 4 last ditch tackles to save them. Looks to have raw talent and is only 21.

I agree with you, ive wanted Wallace for years. I liek Dixon and Watson is showing some potential.

(tu)

But could we really sign Conway, Goodwillie and another 1 or 2 from Dundee Utd? Just to piss off Thompson i think we should. :) They are no worse than what we have.

We need a whole new defence by the sounds of it.

Whittaker for right back ... but no idea the rest.

I wouldn't sign Foster and I'd tell Papac to finish up.

Weir will retire and Bougherra we will need to cash in on if it's true he rejected a new contract.

Remember last summer Jose Goncalves claimed on his official website that he had agreed to join Rangers, then everything went quiet and he spent 6 months out of the game before returning to Switzerland

Just wtf was that all about

I'd have signed him

Kaspars Gorkss from QPR and Ashley Williams Swansea City would be two good solid defenders for next season. Lee Wallace from Hearts and David Barron from St Mirren for full back as well.

We were linked with Kasper Gorkss when he was at Blackpool.

Ashley Williams would be a great signing. Superb defender and a leader too.