We got off lightly.

Call it raining on our parade or whatever but I firmly believe that this years league title challenge from them was too close for comfort. Ally has a big job on his hands to bring in the right players to contribute to fight our crown. Looking at the old firm games, we lost 3 drew 2 and won 2. celtic have looked strong and Lennon had options to choose from, whereas we were relatively depleted. Of course the management team won't tell the players that they were lucky, much to the old adage,'protect your players'.

I firmly believe we need to try and bring 5-6 quality players on permanent deals in and keep the quality and consistent players we have. For instance, davie weir who is now 41, in my opinion hasnt got much left to give as a first team regular unfortunately. Bougherra Has openly said he wants to leave this summer to England or the U.A.E. Sasa has signed a new deal which is positive, but if he suffers an injury then who do we have to fill his spot? I would like to see rangers buy in 2 new centre backs, a new central midfielder, sign foster up on a permanent deal, a wide midfielder and a run all day link up striker with pace to burn...exactly what we got from Kenny Miller.

I pray that Ally, Kenny And Ian dont waste Craig Whyte's Cash on majority crowd pleasers like Diouf. And cue the rumours that Gattuso will sign in the summer. It's always hard to speculate for the fans (or even managing staff) at this time who will become available so I don't usually put my comments into transfer target threads and slap a price on players assuming that's what we will pay for them but one player has caught my eye.

Instead of going after David Goodwillie, whom is speculated to be linked with both the OF and clubs in England, why not keep an eye on Peterboroughs Craig Mackail-Smith? Boasting 27 goals this season and surely a bagful of assists, surely he is worth a watch IF his current club fail to get promoted from League 1?

Maybe my fellow Gers reading this will strongly disagree at 99% of my last 20 minutes typing but hey! That's what the forums for.

Over to you lot.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post, agree with most of it but disagree with a few bits but with so much being said, thats normal. I dont want Foster anywhere near our club and i do want Goodwillie. I feel very strongly about both those things and without sounding mental, i think our title challenge next season could hinge on what happens with they two. Foster struggled badly domestically for us and Goodwillie has proven that he has goals sewn up in this league.

We have the basis of a right good team and i hope Ally does not spoil it by bringing in utility men who are jacks of several trades but masters of none. I still think we need more skill and flair in the team. I also think we need pace too but with that pace we need an end product.

Celtic are not far behind us no matter what any pair of blue tinted specs says.

Huge summer ahead. Major.

(tu)

Selik have far more to fear from us next season than we do from them.They pulled every trick in the book this year and still we won the League.We will strengthen and I leave that to Ally whom he brings in but dont take him for a fool.He also has a point to prove following Walter the legend and I expect him to bring in his own type of Players.I dont believe in luck over a whole season.You make your own luck and we were the better and more consistent team when it comes to them.

Good post, agree with most of it but disagree with a few bits but with so much being said, thats normal. I dont want Foster anywhere near our club and i do want Goodwillie. I feel very strongly about both those things and without sounding mental, i think our title challenge next season could hinge on what happens with they two. Foster struggled badly domestically for us and Goodwillie has proven that he has goals sewn up in this league.

We have the basis of a right good team and i hope Ally does not spoil it by bringing in utility men who are jacks of several trades but masters of none. I still think we need more skill and flair in the team. I also think we need pace too but with that pace we need an end product.

Celtic are not far behind us no matter what any pair of blue tinted specs says.

Huge summer ahead. Major.

(tu)

I thought foster was rocky away, but when you are at a club as big as rangers, it's maybe nerves. Now that he has that full season by him, he may calm it a bit. Broadfoot was the exact same IMO, he came into his own but got injured. I wouldn't be as hasty to get rid of David Healy either unlike some people. I hope Ally makes his decision on him after pre-season when the guy is fit and playing at his best

Veiss and Bartlley would be bonuses but meh, I'd rather have our players

Even with a small squad we still managed to get 93 points this year, our highest total since 05, that was a great effort so I don't think you should just say we were lucky. Celtic maybe got the better or us in the Old Firm games with 2 wins but that means nothing if you are going to slip up against the other teams. I think the most important thing in this summer is getting players in early rather than waiting around till the end of August. Qualifying for the Champions league group stages is massive this year. You're probably bang on with 5-6 quality players though. Defence is the position that worries me most just now. We must build on our success of the last few years (tu)

I thought foster was rocky away, but when you are at a club as big as rangers, it's maybe nerves. Now that he has that full season by him, he may calm it a bit. Broadfoot was the exact same IMO, he came into his own but got injured. I wouldn't be as hasty to get rid of David Healy either unlike some people. I hope Ally makes his decision on him after pre-season when the guy is fit and playing at his best

Weiss and Bartley would be bonuses but meh, I'd rather have our players

I dont think Foster is half the footballer Blue Cafu is. I dont mind loans, especially if they are fighting for the cause and contributing. Healy i have no idea, didnt get a chance at a ll, bit like Beattie, would be wonderful if both got a good pre season under their belts and we go into next season with hungry strikers and choices up front. I have forgotten about Weiss, that wont happen.

(tu)

Even with a small squad we still managed to get 93 points this year, our highest total since 05, that was a great effort so I don't think you should just say we were lucky. Celtic maybe got the better or us in the Old Firm games with 2 wins but that means nothing if you are going to slip up against the other teams. I think the most important thing in this summer is getting players in early rather than waiting around till the end of August. Qualifying for the Champions league group stages is massive this year. You're probably bang on with 5-6 quality players though. Defence is the position that worries me most just now. We must build on our success of the last few years (tu)

That's the thing though, they will be more determined not to slip up. Lennon will ensure that they will learn from their mistakes. Just to clarify, I'm not saying that we wont win the league next year, I just think they will up their game and we must have the resources to do exactly the same, only better.

But we needed every one of them to win the league. I think the Rangers Celtic games will be pivotal next season, i dont see either team dropping many points at all. Do you think we will get players in early? I really hope so, but its not how we do business. Most, if not all, of our shaky defence from last year will still be here next season, that worries me.

(tu)

That's the thing though, they will be more determined not to slip up. Lennon will ensure that they will learn from their mistakes. Just to clarify, I'm not saying that we wont win the league next year, I just think they will up their game and we must have the resources to do exactly the same, only better.

I was going to say the exact same thing but couldnt be bothered with the abuse it brings.

But we needed every one of them to win the league. I think the Rangers Celtic games will be pivotal next season, i dont see either team dropping many points at all. Do you think we will get players in early? I really hope so, but its not how we do business. Most, if not all, of our shaky defence from last year will still be here next season, that worries me.

(tu)

I know we did, but the main point is that we got them. Even with a massive improvement the tims couldn't catch us I just wouldn't say all that was down to luck as the OP suggested. Of course I wasn't happy losing 2 games to Celtic but we never panicked and got the results against the other teams. Like you say the amount of dropped points in the other games will determine how pivotal the OF games will be. I think we will have to act quick to get players in. We have Champions league qualifiers and we saw in 08 how failure to strengthen the team in the first two months of the transfer window can cost you! It worries me too, especailly if Bougherra leaves. Getting Bartley back would be a boost but we would still need at least one other CB imo. McCoist has work to do!

I agree that next year will be make or break for them under Lennon assuming he's still there. But they must reach their spending limit soon. And they will drop points, i don't think they will beat their points total from this season. As much as bringing in new players for us, I'd say we have to make sure we keep as many of our best ones as possible. Losing McGregor, Davis, Jelavic or Bougherra would be worse than not bringing players in imo. The biggest thing that is worrying me is we have no idea how McCoist will take to being manager. I know Smith was Souness' assistant and did a fantastic job, but the circumstances are different this time around.

I know we did, but the main point is that we got them. Even with a massive improvement the tims couldn't catch us I just wouldn't say all that was down to luck as the OP suggested. Of course I wasn't happy losing 2 games to Celtic but we never panicked and got the results against the other teams. Like you say the amount of dropped points in the other games will determine how pivotal the OF games will be. I think we will have to act quick to get players in. We have Champions league qualifiers and we saw in 08 how failure to strengthen the team in the first two months of the transfer window can cost you! It worries me too, especailly if Bougherra leaves. Getting Bartley back would be a boost but we would still need at least one other CB imo. McCoist has work to do!

We were brilliant towards the end of the season, but during most of the season most fans were moaning about how poor we were, i think we got lucky, it was out of our hands until they went upto Inverness. That was lucky imo, but the best team always wins in the end and this season we must have been were the better team as we won the league. (tu)

He sure does and i have faith in him to do it. He can stick Foster up his arse right enough! :)

I would urge fans not to get complacent the bheasts are not a million miles away from us despite what some think.

(tu)

Celtic can't up their game much more if at all. They were massively improved this season with the signings they made and we still won the league and cup double. We had a brilliant season and with a few good signings we should be capable of doing it again next season and winning No.55. We'll win it fair and square again as well. 10310.gif

To get £15m this season they will need to sell half a team maybe more.

they did reinvest half or more of it.

if they curtail there spending perhaps they can sell only 1 or 2 good ones and various shite.

or maybe they will get lucky on izzagure and kyal and someone will fall for the hype.

We were brilliant towards the end of the season, but during most of the season most fans were moaning about how poor we were, i think we got lucky, it was out of our hands until they went upto Inverness. That was lucky imo, but the best team always wins in the end and this season we must have been were the better team as we won the league. (tu)

He sure does and i have faith in him to do it. He can stick Foster up his arse right enough! :)

I would urge fans not to get complacent the bheasts are not a million miles away from us despite what some think.

(tu)

Yeah complacency and under-estimating septic would kill us. We should not rest on our laurels, Lemon has them fired up but I think we rose to the challenge towards the end of the season. They dropped more points than us. Simple as. Lucky perhaps in a sense in that we had no control of what they did in their games. I don't think we will rest on our laurels though. McCoist wouldn't be daft enough, and with the takeover we might have some serious money to spend.

Yeah complacency and under-estimating septic would kill us. We should not rest on our laurels, Lemon has them fired up but I think we rose to the challenge towards the end of the season. They dropped more points than us. Simple as. Lucky perhaps in a sense in that we had no control of what they did in their games. I don't think we will rest on our laurels though. McCoist wouldn't be daft enough, and with the takeover we might have some serious money to spend.

(tu)