Who is the best opposition Player you have ever seen

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 good year on the European arena, that it? what about all the other years when average Euro teams were knocking us out of Europe and taking goals off us for fun? Our defence was regularly ripped apart on the big stage in Europe with the big man at the heart of it, indeed if it was not for Andy Goram, Leeds may have scored about 10 against us. Richard Gough was an outstanding SPL defender, a Rangers legend and true captain of the Rangers, but to claim he was one of the best in Europe, well thats what i call drivel. All opinions of course. :rolleyes:

What about all the other years? Ferguson joined us in 1993 - the season when he gave Gough such a hard time was, er 1992 - at a time when Gough was regarded very highly - name some better CBs from that year's Champions Legaue then?

Oh, and Goram made several good saves in the ties against Leeds but to say that without him Leeds would have scored 10 would only be the case if we had literally played without him, or any other GK.

More crap from you.

Best player ive seen without doubt Messi(as he is for me the best player in the World.....ever), though the Sasa took him out in our games v them.

Best performance ive seen v us, Mendietta (Valencia) was outstanding.....

Agreed. But in that single game Samaras was good. But if the thread is about best opposition player ever seen then the only one I can think of that made me thought "Wish we had him" then it would have been Benzema, although I see he's also up for sending indecent images to under-age girls. :angry:

i thought that game wee were comfortable but for mcgregors rush of blood and boughys stick out leg. if this is your answer then you need to look further than scoring a couple of gifts.

juan roman riquelme for me. he just never gave the ball away and was coolness personified. he could have walked into this years barcelona team ahead of xavi and iniesta thats how good he was.

What about all the other years? Ferguson joined us in 1993 - the season when he gave Gough such a hard time was, er 1992 - at a time when Gough was regarded very highly - name some better CBs from that year's Champions Legaue then?

Oh, and Goram made several good saves in the ties against Leeds but to say that without him Leeds would have scored 10 would only be the case if we had literally played without him, or any other GK.

More crap from you.

What about them? We got humped every year but you want to talk about the one and only year he done well in Europe? What has Ferguson got to do with anything? So now you have accepted he was highly regarded, but not one of Europes best. Thats alot more accurate.

We have already established he had one outstanding year on the European arena, 1992. Considering only 8 teams were in the Champions League that year with no Real Madrid, Man U, Inter or Barcelona, it wouldnt be that hard to be one of the best players in his position, what were we up against? We played 2 good teams that year, Leeds and Marseille. i doubt many players around the world never mind in Europe would have been as decorated as Gough given he played in Scotland and we were so far in front of everyone else, trophies and medals were guaranteed but to say he was up there with the very best europe, well that is just blue tinted nonsense.

The Goalie made loads of vital saves, and most of them were world class, point blank and outstanding reflex saves, saves most other keepers would not have made.

Keep it coming Richard.............

Oh, heres a wee list of names you asked for, i will keep it to teams who won their domestic league that year so's not to embarrass you too much.

Popescu

Desailly

Boli

Koeman

Nadal

Baresi

Costacurta

Maldini

And that is only from the teams who won their domestic leagues and played in or qualified for the Champions League, no players from the other top teams i named above....you have no idea how far away Gough was from being in amongst Europes elite.

:rolleyes: