Two Of Our Greates Results?

delamonty

(1) 1972 Semi final vs Bayern Munich. A side that would form the core of the 1974 world cup winning team.

(2) Another has to be the 1945 Moscow Dynamo draw. They came to the UK and essentially destroyed all comers in England. It was left up to us to restore British pride. Remember, back then , our lads were working and had to train after they ended a hard shift.... it ended 2-2. And by all accounts, we dominated them in the latter stages of the match. Heart, commitment and pride made that happen.

Look at the crowd... Incredible. How I wish Ibrox was like that today.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=13438

Good clips mate. (tu)

np mate. Thought you -- in particular -- would enjoy.

Those were the days indeed. My Grandfather was at the 1945 match. Talked about it until he died. Loved hearing his stories about seeing The Rangers in the early days. (He was born in 1899) fought in WW1) A Rangers man through and through.

(tu)

That Bayern team were to go on to win the European Cup 3 times in a row, and was filled with players who won the World Cup 2 years later.

Maier, Breitner, Beckenbauer, Muller, Hoeness are still all talked about today, they were that good.

What an achievement to beat such a team on the way to our greatest glory.

That Bayern team were to go on to win the European Cup 3 times in a row, and was filled with players who won the World Cup 2 years later.

Maier, Breitner, Beckenbauer, Muller, Hoeness are still all talked about today, they were that good.

What an achievement to beat such a team on the way to our greatest glory.

Exactly my point mate. We won out of playing for our jersey. We did not have the talent... the inherent skill... and no reason to be on the park with them. But we won.

I see the semi final as a greater achievement than the final. As stupid as that sounds :-)

(tu)

(2) Another has to be the 1945 Moscow Dynamo draw. They came to the UK and essentially destroyed all comers in England. It was left up to us to restore British pride. Remember, back then , our lads were working and had to train after they ended a hard shift....

Are you sure about that?

Exactly my point mate. We won out of playing for our jersey. We did not have the talent... the inherent skill... and no reason to be on the park with them. But we won.

I see the semi final as a greater achievement than the final. As stupid as that sounds :-)

(tu)

I'm not so sure about that mate. We didn't have the talent of the Germans, that's for sure, but Jardine was a World Class player, and there was no shortage of skill in Johnston, McLean, and the imperious Davie Smith, not to mention some teenagers who were on their way to become Rangers legends.

Are you sure about that?

Yes.

It was just after the war and our lads were not full time professionals. Matches were played during the war years -- aye. But in no way was the 1945 team back to full professional quality.

Debatable I'm sure. And worthy of a debate. (tu)

I'll find my original source.

I'm not so sure about that mate. We didn't have the talent of the Germans, that's for sure, but Jardine was a World Class player, and there was no shortage of skill in Johnston, McLean, and the imperious Davie Smith, not to mention some teenagers who were on their way to become Rangers legends.

I know your sentiments -- I share them. But that was a side that would dominate World football. Did we? No. So.... My suggestion -- as simple as it may be -- is correct imho. The semi final was -- and probably still is -- one of the biggest upsets in Footballing history.

And WE did it.

Jardine was unplayable on his day. No arguments from me.

I had the privilege on seeing Slim Jim. A better football player you will not find. As Pele said... "I wish Jim Baxter was born a Brasilian" True statement (tu)

Yes.

It was just after the war and our lads were not full time professionals. Matches were played during the war years -- aye. But in no way was the 1945 team back to full professional quality.

Debatable I'm sure. And worthy of a debate. (tu)

I'll find my original source.

I'm not doubting you, and thought if they did have to do some work, it would be related to the war just finishing.

I don't think I've heard of any of our players having jobs though, outside of being expected to do duties within the army.

I'm not doubting you, and thought if they did have to do some work, it would be related to the war just finishing.

I don't think I've heard of any of our players having jobs though, outside of being expected to do duties within the army.

My Father worked at Weirs. They gave jobs to both sides of the OF iirc. (if I remember correctly).

They certainly worked mate. (tu)

What a night that was v Bayern. They were some team and our guys don't get the credit they deserve for winning that one.

There were 155,000 watching football in Glasgow that night - 80,000 at Ibrox and 75,000 at the scumdome.

I remember my dad telling me of the journey back to Greenock after our game had ended. The tims game kicked off 30 mins after ours so they were listening to the ET as they played Inter Milan in the ECSF. The bus was at traffic lights when Deans missed his pen and he said the bus in front of them was rocking from side to side as the bears jumped all over each other in celebration. It rounded off the night.

He was also at the 1945 game as a 10 year old and talked of that day many times too.

Nice memories of some great days.