Whyte - "i Have Inherited A Mess From The Previous Regime...."

scottjf82

Do i really have to answer that question from you of all people Casey.

FFS we are 4 months in to his tenure and because all our problems haven't been solved overnight we are wanting rid of this guy.

If we have to make changes to our business then we decide. Not a bank or a tarrier writing in cyberspace.

Everyone with half a business brain can see the current business model is simply not working and we cannot sustain the current outgoings when compared to our income (minus CL money)

Am i happy about slashing the wage bill or selling players...hell no but the alternative is what exactly?

I didn't see a queue of people wanting to buy Rangers in all the years Murray was trying to sell it.

And as for broken promises can you outline them for me to see exactly what he has done or not since taking over.

Cheers

As far as I'm concerned, if we needed to make changes and wouldn't do it, the bank were correct to enforce those changes. Rangers First and all that. :D

Whyte came in and said there would be 25 million over the 5 years with the possibility of more in the first year if McCoist needed it. He then stated that there would be significantly more than that spent as the original figure wasn't sufficient to get the players needed. This has now been turned completely around to a stage where we need to sell our better players in order to slash the wage bill.

Slashing the wage bill leads us onto the way he took the plaudits for getting Whittaker, Davis and McGregor to sign long-term lucrative deals, thus enabling McCoist to build a strong squad to bring domestic success and to be able to compete in Europe. We now find out that it was merely to stop them leaving cheaply.

Had Whyte come in and been truthful about where we were and how we would get out of it, he would have got the benefit of the doubt from me. All he has done so far is act in exactly the same way as Murray did in his later years, treat everyone like fools.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where's the £25M that Paul Murray and Alistair Johnston were talking about investing in to the club.

Where's Donald Park when the chips are down or any of the other big hitters who were flashing their wallets and egos before Whyte took over?

Petted lips because they didn't get to buy the club?

AJ wanted to increase our borrowing remember! Wow, that would have helped us. :disappointment:

And you presumably mean Douglas Park - the man whose company had higher borrowing than Rangers.

As Adoniram said where were all the people that wanted to buy the club when Murray had the club up for sale. We have fans all over the world, and the ones with money have shown no interest. Along comes a fan and buys the club and all he gets is slagged by some fans.

I'm not slagging him for buying the club. I was sceptical as to how real his initial claims were and now we find out that they were all a fantasy.

Murrayesque, minstral, and you more than most know that's not a good sign.

So this £25M that he has to spend over 5 years.

Just out of interest what would he have done in years 4 and 5 if the bulk of the money was spent on years 1 and 2?

Would we spend £15m now and then nothing for the last couple of years?

And again can anyone show me a direct quote from Whyte stating that this money was for transfers only?

Casey, you do understand that in between times the players failed to get us into the CL or the EL?

Yes, I was there in both Malmo and Maribor. What's your point?

Our failure to improve the team prior to those ties was another gripe I had that was dismissed as negativity and shit-stirring. The players who I was assured were good enough to beat both teams........were not. The signs were there right from our German tour onwards and were ignored by Whyte, McCoist and the 'we've won 3iar' brigade.

Just out of interest what would he have done in years 4 and 5 if the bulk of the money was spent on years 1 and 2?

And again can anyone show me a direct quote from Whyte stating that this money was for transfers only?

even if it was all for wages these cuts wouldn't be as severe. let's be honest we won't be swing it for anything.

Ask Whyte about your first point, he was the one stating it.

Nobody can give you the quote, as you know fine well, as it was worded in an ambiguous way in the circular. For someone who despised Murray for his underhand tricks, it does seem strange that you're now displaying a sense of admiration that he duped us.

Being as we're from the same era, can you name another time following football where talk of transfer budgets ever included wages et al? I know I can't.

The squad was more than capable of beating Malmo and Maribor. A combination of baffling and naive tactics, shocking misses in front of goal and utter stupidity from Bougherra and Whittaker cost us those games.

After all the bulk of the team had just won the league title a couple of months previously.

And out of all the players we were in for i don't think any of them would have made the impact many feel they would have.

Going over old ground but the majority of players we targeted had no intention of playing for Rangers and that includes Goodwillie and Miller.

We're going to be selling players and slashing the wage bill at a far more alarming rate than we were under LBG.

Source? As far as i can remember did we not sign a few players this season? Fail to see how we can be worse off than when Lloyds were holding the purse strings, unless of course you can rhyme off the signings we made in the past 3 seasons; excluding Jelavic?

Ask Whyte about your first point, he was the one stating it.

Nobody can give you the quote, as you know fine well, as it was worded in an ambiguous way in the circular. For someone who despised Murray for his underhand tricks, it does seem strange that you're now displaying a sense of admiration that he duped us.

Being as we're from the same era, can you name another time following football where talk of transfer budgets ever included wages et al? I know I can't.

Well does that not mean that the points you make are equally as invalid because you need Whyte to confirm them first?

And for the record most teams A) Don't announce what they have to spend on new players and B) If they do then they almost always say their is X amount for transfers and never come out and say this is to cover fees and wages.

Football fans expectations by and large are ridiculous and we are no exception.

And at the risk of repeating myself we are 4 months in to his reign as owner. I am not saying everything in the garden is rosy and he hasn't made mistakes. He has and admitted as much yesterday but neither am i going to sit here and slaughter him because he has not waved a magic wand and turned us round in such a short space of time.

Perhaps if McCoist and the players hadn't fucked up so spectacularly in Europe things may just have been very different.

1 million. I guess it could have been worse.

It could have been 7 million. :anguish:

Weiss Man, can I ask a question here as you are obviously clued up on such matters?

IF we had qualified for the CL, would/could Craig Whyte have been able to spend on the strength of the £12/15m that we would have received in May 2012? I can't help but think going out of the CL had a huge detrimental effect on our finances, whether it was budgeted for or not.

eg could he have borrowed on the strength of the CL money coming in at the end of the season?

Do i really have to answer that question from you of all people Casey.

FFS we are 4 months in to his tenure and because all our problems haven't been solved overnight we are wanting rid of this guy.

If we have to make changes to our business then we decide. Not a bank or a tarrier writing in cyberspace.

Everyone with half a business brain can see the current business model is simply not working and we cannot sustain the current outgoings when compared to our income (minus CL money)

Am i happy about slashing the wage bill or selling players...hell no but the alternative is what exactly?

I didn't see a queue of people wanting to buy Rangers in all the years Murray was trying to sell it.

And as for broken promises can you outline them for me to see exactly what he has done or not since taking over.

Cheers

Kilmarnock FC have been in the same boat for a few years now. The fans don't like the Chairman, and they're not happy with his cost cutting year on year. But as Michael Johnston himself says, who wants to buy the club?

Until someone does, they're unfortunately stuck with him. Craig Whyte took us when nobody else wanted to take us. Well done to him I say, and good luck sorting out the mess he's inherited.

he's can only get back what he's put in.

in reality he loses money.

I was under the impression that he could recoup his money and make an offer to buy back the lot at a reduced price. I would say that a club with our fanbase, facilities and with little/no debt would be worth a fair bit more than £18,000,001.

No.

Why would such an astute business man bleat publicly about a mess which he has bought? Why buy it then?

I'm not sure you are being fair. He didn't 'bleat' as you put it, he explained his point of view. You may disagree with it but it seems self evident that there is a 'mess' at Rangers even from our poor vantage point.

Why buy it as a fair question. Ego I imagine, that's the usual reason for getting involved in football. History show's there is little money to be made, uninformed publicly scrutiny to deal with and a 'customer' base which will almost certainly hold you in contempt at some point in the future.

Kilmarnock FC have been in the same boat for a few years now. The fans don't like the Chairman, and they're not happy with his cost cutting year on year. But as Michael Johnston himself says, who wants to buy the club?

Until someone does, they're unfortunately stuck with him. Craig Whyte took us when nobody else wanted to take us. Well done to him I say, and good luck sorting out the mess he's inherited.

The Moffat family who owned Kilmarnock gave the club away for nothing after losing many millions of pounds while owning it. Motherwell are another example of this. Boyle is basically giving the club away now, and even then he's struggling to be rid of it, it's almost comical if it wasn't so sad.

The Moffat family who owned Kilmarnock gave the club away for nothing after losing many millions of pounds while owning it. Motherwell are another example of this. Boyle is basically giving the club away now, and even then he's struggling to be rid of it, it's almost comical if it wasn't so sad.

Very true mate. Jamie Moffat sold the club to MJ for £1, just as SDM did with Rangers FC.

Nobody wants to buy the club from him now, even at a vastly reduced sum (compared to the actual value of the club) and he is therefore, stuck with it.

I'm not sure of the figures but Jamie Moffat lost out big time when the banks went tits up.

Weiss Man, can I ask a question here as you are obviously clued up on such matters?

IF we had qualified for the CL, would/could Craig Whyte have been able to spend on the strength of the £12/15m that we would have received in May 2012? I can't help but think going out of the CL had a huge detrimental effect on our finances, whether it was budgeted for or not.

eg could he have borrowed on the strength of the CL money coming in at the end of the season?

If we had got to the CL, it would certainly have meant that over the next 12 months, our cash in would have been greater than our cash out.

However, i think that really only serves to paint the picture that Whyte wants you to see now.

The bottom line here is that he promised to invest HIS money in the playing squad. Invest HIS money in working capital. Invest HIS money in paying the tax bill. Invest HIS money in doing up the stadium.

If we had got into the CL and he BORROWED anything then he would have been chased out the door. (tu)