Scotland Squad to Face Cyprus

RatedRpoed

Scotland boss Craig Levein has left Barry Bannan out of his squad to face Cyprus in a friendly on 11 November.

The midfielder returned to training with Aston Villa on Tuesday after being suspended following his arrest on suspicion of drink-driving.

And the Scotland manager hinted that Bannan's absence will not be permanent.

"There are certain situations where it's better just to let it resolve itself. Barry will be back in the group after that," Levein said.

Jordan Rhodes receives his first call-up, with England also rumoured to be interested in the striker.

"That isn't the primary reason for the call-up." explained Levein. "I want to reward him for how he has been playing."

Following the match in Larnaca, Rhodes will join up with the Scotland Under-21 squad for a European Championship qualifier in the Netherlands on 14 November.

The Oldham-born 21-year-old, who qualifies for Scotland through the five-year schooling rule, hit 14 goals in six games before the weekend, five of them in two qualifiers for Billy Stark's Under-21s.

"He's been part of Billy's squad for a long time now, and Scotland have been quick to recognise his abilities and we are very confident that he considers himself one of the group," added Levein.

BANNAN FACTFILE

Continue reading the main story

Born: 1 Dec 1989, Airdrie

Height: 5ft 7in

Clubs: Aston Villa, Derby (loan), Blackpool (loan), Leeds (loan)

Aston Villa apps: 31

Aston Villa goals: 2

Scotland caps: 9

But in-form Celtic winger James Forrest drops out of the senior squad to fully focus on his role with Stark's side.

"Billy pleaded with me to allow James to be included in the Under-21 squad as part of the strategy in trying to develop players," Levein added.

"I felt it would be good for Billy to have James's abilities on Monday as well."

QPR forward Jamie Mackie returns to the squad having fully recovered from a leg break, along with Norwich defender Russell Martin, while regulars Steven Naismith and Scott Brown are missing through injury.

Mackie's last international appearance was almost a year ago against the Faroe Islands, while Martin earned his only cap against Wales in the Carling Nations Cup in May.

Martin, who made his name as an attacking full-back, has been playing in central defence this season and Levein wants to give the 25-year-old a chance to impress.

Rangers are the only Scottish club represented in Levein's squad, with the majority of players plying their trade in England.

The manager acknowledged that Leeds forward Ross McCormack, joint top-scorer in the Championship, was unlucky to miss out, saying he was sure the former Motherwell player would feature in future.

Dundee United playmaker Danny Swanson is unavailable through injury, while there is no place for defenders Stephen Crainey and Stephen McManus.

Levein also confirmed there had been "no change" in the situation with Wolves striker Steven Fletcher, who has not contacted the manager since asking not to be considered for the squad to face Northern Ireland in February.

Meanwhile, Under-17s coach Ricky Sbragia will join Levein's backroom team in Cyprus after assistant Peter Houston revealed he would miss the trip to concentrate on improving Dundee United.

Scotland last travelled to Cyprus in 1989 when they were 3-2 winners, with Richard Gough and Maurice Johnston on the scoresheet under the stewardship of Andy Roxburgh.

Scotland squad: Allan McGregor (Rangers), David Marshall (Cardiff City), Matt Gilks (Blackpool),

Phil Bardsley (Sunderland), Christophe Berra (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Gary Caldwell (Wigan Athletic), Grant Hanley (Blackburn Rovers), Alan Hutton (Aston Villa), Russell Martin (Norwich City), Lee Wallace (Rangers), Steven Whittaker (Rangers),

Charlie Adam (Liverpool), Don Cowie (Cardiff City), Graham Dorrans (West Bromwich Albion), Darren Fletcher (Manchester United), James McArthur (Wigan Athletic), James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion), Barry Robson (Middlesbrough), Robert Snodgrass (Leeds United),

David Goodwillie (Blackburn Rovers), Craig Mackail-Smith (Brighton and Hove Albion), Jamie Mackie (Queens Park Rangers), Kenny Miller (Cardiff City), Jordan Rhodes (Huddersfield Town).

no mccormack (td)

Scotland boss Craig Levein has left Barry Bannan out of his squad to face Cyprus in a friendly on 11 November.

The midfielder returned to training with Aston Villa on Tuesday after being suspended following his arrest on suspicion of drink-driving.

And the Scotland manager hinted that Bannan's absence will not be permanent.

"There are certain situations where it's better just to let it resolve itself. Barry will be back in the group after that," Levein said.

Jordan Rhodes receives his first call-up, with England also rumoured to be interested in the striker.

"That isn't the primary reason for the call-up." explained Levein. "I want to reward him for how he has been playing."

Following the match in Larnaca, Rhodes will join up with the Scotland Under-21 squad for a European Championship qualifier in the Netherlands on 14 November.

The Oldham-born 21-year-old, who qualifies for Scotland through the five-year schooling rule, hit 14 goals in six games before the weekend, five of them in two qualifiers for Billy Stark's Under-21s.

"He's been part of Billy's squad for a long time now, and Scotland have been quick to recognise his abilities and we are very confident that he considers himself one of the group," added Levein.

BANNAN FACTFILE

Continue reading the main story

Born: 1 Dec 1989, Airdrie

Height: 5ft 7in

Clubs: Aston Villa, Derby (loan), Blackpool (loan), Leeds (loan)

Aston Villa apps: 31

Aston Villa goals: 2

Scotland caps: 9

But in-form Celtic winger James Forrest drops out of the senior squad to fully focus on his role with Stark's side.

"Billy pleaded with me to allow James to be included in the Under-21 squad as part of the strategy in trying to develop players," Levein added.

"I felt it would be good for Billy to have James's abilities on Monday as well."

QPR forward Jamie Mackie returns to the squad having fully recovered from a leg break, along with Norwich defender Russell Martin, while regulars Steven Naismith and Scott Brown are missing through injury.

Mackie's last international appearance was almost a year ago against the Faroe Islands, while Martin earned his only cap against Wales in the Carling Nations Cup in May.

Martin, who made his name as an attacking full-back, has been playing in central defence this season and Levein wants to give the 25-year-old a chance to impress.

Rangers are the only Scottish club represented in Levein's squad, with the majority of players plying their trade in England.

The manager acknowledged that Leeds forward Ross McCormack, joint top-scorer in the Championship, was unlucky to miss out, saying he was sure the former Motherwell player would feature in future.

Dundee United playmaker Danny Swanson is unavailable through injury, while there is no place for defenders Stephen Crainey and Stephen McManus.

Levein also confirmed there had been "no change" in the situation with Wolves striker Steven Fletcher, who has not contacted the manager since asking not to be considered for the squad to face Northern Ireland in February.

Meanwhile, Under-17s coach Ricky Sbragia will join Levein's backroom team in Cyprus after assistant Peter Houston revealed he would miss the trip to concentrate on improving Dundee United.

Scotland last travelled to Cyprus in 1989 when they were 3-2 winners, with Richard Gough and Maurice Johnston on the scoresheet under the stewardship of Andy Roxburgh.

Scotland squad: Allan McGregor (Rangers), David Marshall (Cardiff City), Matt Gilks (Blackpool),

Phil Bardsley (Sunderland), Christophe Berra (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Gary Caldwell (Wigan Athletic), Grant Hanley (Blackburn Rovers), Alan Hutton (Aston Villa), Russell Martin (Norwich City), Lee Wallace (Rangers), Steven Whittaker (Rangers),

Charlie Adam (Liverpool), Don Cowie (Cardiff City), Graham Dorrans (West Bromwich Albion), Darren Fletcher (Manchester United), James McArthur (Wigan Athletic), James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion), Barry Robson (Middlesbrough), Robert Snodgrass (Leeds United),

David Goodwillie (Blackburn Rovers), Craig Mackail-Smith (Brighton and Hove Albion), Jamie Mackie (Queens Park Rangers), Kenny Miller (Cardiff City), Jordan Rhodes (Huddersfield Town).

no mccormack (td)

More shocked that Goodwillie's in than anything as he's not been playing for Blackburn. (well wasn't, last time I looked)

I thought Miller was injured.

No idea why Levein is naming the squad/team two weeks before the game even takes place. Bizarre.

It's what he does.

No point having Miller and Caldwell in the squad tbh, not like we'll learn anything new for the future with those two.

I thought Miller was injured.

No idea why Levein is naming the squad/team two weeks before the game even takes place. Bizarre.

The game is next Friday, so he is probably announcing the squad so the players know in advance who is travelling, not that bizarre.

Had he named the team?

Latest squad

Goalkeepers: Matt Gilks (Blackpool), Allan McGregor (Rangers), Craig Samson (St Mirren)

Defenders: Phil Bardsley (Sunderland), Christophe Berra (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Stephen Crainey (Blackpool), Gary Caldwell (Wigan Athletic), Grant Hanley (Blackburn Rovers), Gary MacKenzie (MK Dons), Steven Whittaker (Rangers)

Midfielders: Craig Conway (Cardiff City), Don Cowie (Cardiff City), Darren Fletcher (Manchester United), James McArthur (Wigan Athletic), James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion), Barry Robson (Middlesbrough), Robert Snodgrass (Leeds United), Ryan Stevenson (Heart of Midlothian)

Forwards: David Goodwillie (Blackburn Rovers), Craig Mackail-Smith (Brighton and Hove Albion), Jamie Mackie (Queens Park Rangers), Kenny Miller (Cardiff City), Jordan Rhodes (Huddersfield Town)

McCormack is just a bizzare non inclusion

Fletcher took a huff and said he wasn't going to play again unless he got off the bench :lol:

Yeah true haha

If McCormack continues this kind of form until the next Scotland game he has to get included, if not then something's definitely up.

WOLVES manager Mick McCarthy has urged Scotland boss Craig Levein and Steven Fletcher to resolve their differences.

Wolves striker Fletcher controversially texted the Scottish Football Association in February to say he no longer wished to be selected for international duty.

The highly-publicised withdrawal developed into a stand-off between Fletcher and Levein, and while there have been hints of a possible reconciliation the former Hibernian striker was not in the Scotland squad for tonight’s friendly in Cyprus.

McCarthy, who played for and managed the Republic of Ireland, was in Glasgow today for a fund-raising lunch for the Prince and Princess of Wales Hospice.

He admitted to be on the outside looking in on the situation but simply wants Fletcher to resume his Scotland career.

“I am not and never have been fully aware of the issue between Fletch and Craig,” said the former Celtic and Manchester City defender.

“If there is an issue between them it is for them to sort out. Not me.

“I don’t delve into it because I have my own problems looking after my own patch, that’s difficult enough.

“But I can advise at my side and Steven wants to play for Scotland.

“I have said to him that I’ve been an international player and an international manager and I understand all the things that go along with that.

“And playing for your country is the best thing you can do.

“And who knows? You might just end up in the finals of the European Championships or World Cups - we did!

“He doesn’t want to miss that. He wants to play so it is up to everyone to sort that out. Not me.”

“Why the hell I am encouraging him to play?” McCarthy added with a smile.

“It just means I have another player away for two weeks.

“It’s doing me a disservice.

“But I am pragmatic about that. They do go away but I want what is the best for the players and to play at international level is wonderful because you learn playing at that level.

“I was a better player having played for the Republic.”

McCarthy revealed that Hibs boss Colin Calderwood wanted to sign Leigh Griffiths, on loan from Wolves, on a permanent basis before the former Scotland defender was shunted out of the Easter Road club last Sunday.

“I know Colin wanted to sign him because I spoke to him,” he said.

“But because football is so unpredictable Colin is not there anymore so that’s changed.

“But there has been a bit of interest because Leigh has been playing well.

“We signed him, we took a chance. From where he came from (Dundee) to Premier League football is a huge gulf so we let him go back to Hibs and play some football and he is doing well.

“So we will see what happens.”

Levein is just being stubborn, waiting for an apology from Fletcher.