What players that we have at the moment...

Sheikh Salim

Gone are the days of old, the Laudrups, Gazzas, Mols, Artetas etc. The players we could look at and say, yes they are definitely good enough for Rangers.

With Scottish football having been declining for a good few years now, due to lesser amounts of money in it, obviously the players are of a lesser ability.

So, with that in mind, who in our current squad is a player that is fit to wear the royal blue, and to what we expect?

To me, I would say:

Mcgregor

Bocanegra

Papac

Davis

Aluko (early I know but he is an exciting prospect)

Jelavic

Lafferty

Naismith

Ness

McGregor, Jelavic and Naismith at a push.

Most of these names would not have got near our bench 10 years ago.

That's the whole point though, we aren't the same Rangers of the nineties, and as such our expectations of what players we can attract or are deemed good enough should be much lower.

Well, first of all, we have to figure out exactly what 'Rangers class' can be defined as these days. If it's a squad capable of winning the SPL, then three championships from the last three available suggests that the vast majority of the current lot have the potential to play at 'Rangers class'.

If, on the other hand, we're talking about a team that could get to the last 16 of the UCL (not a totally unreasonable expectation, considering the size of some of the clubs to have reached that stage recently), then I'd say the following have a place in our starting XI:

McGregor

Wallace

Goian

Bocanegra

Davis

Naismith

Jelavic

A right back, a 'Hemdani' midfielder, a decent winger and a good strike partner for Jelavic are needed to take us to that level.

If Aluko and Lafferty find a bit of consistency, then they could join the aforementioned 7, which puts us just two players away from a very decent starting XI.

I think everyone has a different perception of what is 'Rangers class'. For instance, I had Papac on your list, but not Goian or Wallace, Goian due to recent performances and Wallace hasn't really inspired me as of yet.

Sorry mate I think the drink is starting to catch up with me, totally miss-read the opening line.

McGregor

Naismith

Jelavic

Papac

Davis(when on form)

Goian

Bocanegra

Lee Wallace(certainly potential wise)

Neil Alexander

Left out the kids who have potential because they've not played much.

That's more like it :happy:

In today's Scottish football climate they are the only two that you think nowadays are deemed Rangers class?

Well going by your original list...

Mcgregor - good keeper, not Gorams class or probably Klos either at his peak, but still a good shot-stopper and solid enough.

Bocanegra - half a season, done fine but has looked dodgy the past 2 or 3 games when teams get in behind him.

Papac - average and once again today for the second goal stood off the attacker and gave him all the time in the world to pick his pass.

Davis - 1 good game in 20.

Aluko (early I know but he is an exciting prospect)- has played 3 games, how you can say he is Rangers-class on that basis is beyond me.

Jelavic - half-arsed display after half-arsed display. 12 goals in the SPL by xmas? Nothing to write home about.

Lafferty - runs about, good finisher, a squad player at best in any other era.

Naismith - good player, at least when he was playing badly he still got stuck in unlike the rest of the squad.

Ness - potential, nothing more yet. No use to us at all when injured all the time.

Well going by your original list...

Mcgregor - good keeper, not Gorams class or probably Klos either at his peak, but still a good shot-stopper and solid enough.

Bocanegra - half a season, done fine but has looked dodgy the past 2 or 3 games when teams get in behind him.

Papac - average and once again today for the second goal stood off the attacker and gave him all the time in the world to pick his pass.

Davis - 1 good game in 20.

Aluko (early I know but he is an exciting prospect)- has played 3 games, how you can say he is Rangers-class on that basis is beyond me.

Jelavic - half-arsed display after half-arsed display. 12 goals in the SPL by xmas? Nothing to write home about.

Lafferty - runs about, good finisher, a squad player at best in any other era.

Naismith - good player, at least when he was playing badly he still got stuck in unlike the rest of the squad.

Ness - potential, nothing more yet. No use to us at all when injured all the time.

Fair do's with your opinion but realistically the Rangers class of today compared to yesteryear is obviously a lot poorer.

Fair do's with your opinion but realistically the Rangers class of today compared to yesteryear is obviously a lot poorer.

I do see what you're saying in your original post, I'm not expecting miracles given our supposed financial restrictions and the quality of the SPL as a whole, all I ask is for the players to make up in effort what they lack in ability, which a number of them seem unable to do.

the spl is the poorest its ever been.clubs are full of kids or players who couldn't get a club anywhere else.yet all these teams play a better brand of football than us.rangers class? mcgregor,the rest are fuckin hopeless compared to the greats we have had in the past.the players who coined the phrase "rangers class"