Our second biggest problem,

At least edu looks like he wants to play his best and put on a shift.

Yes there are people who should get a game ahead of him and I totaly agree SWSL.

But out of the pool of players ally can only see with his blinders on he's performed the best by far

As soon as Edu got on the park yesterday we actually looked like being able to sustain some pressure.

Having given it some thought, here's how I see things.

The issue of there being no link between our midfield and attack is absolutely correct. Unfortunately, the root of that issue relates back to the injury to Steven Naismith. Davis can link from deep with him on the right, while he would link with Jelavic and Lafferty.

There was an understanding and a devastating style in their play, particularly in the title run in last season and while it wasn't as devastating this season, it was still particularly effective. Wylde brought this balance to the midfield where, if our passing and link up was being halted and broken up by high pressure, we could release Wylde in behind and get a more direct, pacey threat on the other side, with Naismith, Lafferty and Jelavic all able in the air to cause a threat.

This season, without Naismith, we do not have this ability to link between midfield and attack. Steven Davis can do this role on the right, he did it (less effectively than Naismith), in his first couple of seasons at Rangers. The key difference here, we do not have any fit players who have the footballing intelligence to then play the central midfield role that Davis plays in this link up puzzle. Previously, when Davis played on the right in his first couple of years, we had Mendes, Ferguson and Thomson in central midfield. All capable, intelligent footballers who all had an eye for a pass.

Now, if we were to look to use Davis wide right, and when we have looked to use him wide right this season we have McCulloch and Edu to pair together in central midfield and they do not have the intelligence of Davis to play that role. We have Jamie Ness, I think he could play that role though he's a little less prone to driving forward with the ball than Davis is, but he's perpetually injured. I'm not sure if Kyle Hutton can play that role and I don't think Bendiksen plays that role from central midfield.

Agree with what you say but,

no team should suffer so much with the loss of one player.

I think we badly need 2 new central midfielders and with already having 19 choices for midfield, that is a horrific indictment of the gaffer and his squad building abilities.

as i said in my "pick the next team" thrwad i would start with edu and bendiksen in the middle of the park

Given the instructions to just patrol the midfield area 10 yards in front of the defence at all times, i think edu can be one of our best players, yeah he will still get up the park to support etc but the fact he is energetic, athletic and fit means he can actually be described as a "box-to-box" player

god i am going to hate saying this, but remember the ginger rat playing in MoN's team, his job was to simply break up play and then give the ball to the better players in his team, lennon didnt need technical ability, didnt need to look amazing on the ball, didnt have to shoot or be able to pass the ball 50 yards, as long as he halted the opposing mids running at his centre halves he was doing a good job

edu can fill that role no bother, track the runner and put him off, if he wins the ball then give it out wide to aluko, wylde or whoever, or give it to his central partner and allow them to conjur up some magic

this means that both our central mids can focus on one simple job rather than 2

against motherwell i would go with a full team like this

shagger

broadfoot-goian-bocanegra-wallace

edu

aluko-bendiksen-wylde

lafferty-jelavic

a simple 4-1-3-2 that allows mccoist to keep a reasonable amount of experience and his pal lafferty up top, and means the midfield all have one single job

Agree with what you say but,

no team should suffer so much with the loss of one player.

I think we badly need 2 new central midfielders and with already having 19 choices for midfield, that is a horrific indictment of the gaffer and his squad building abilities.

You're absolutely right, it's a failure of our transfer dealings that we haven't managed to sign sufficient cover to soften that blow.

Though, when I think about it, we've rotated and rotated in order to try and find this solution to the absent Naismith that we can't actually tell if there's a sufficient replacement in the squad, because the understanding Naismith, Jelavic, Davis and Lafferty had developed takes time and none of the squad have been given sufficient time, in the same position, to try and develop an understanding.

Personally, in the short term I'd like to see Davis shunted wide and McKay given a run in central midfield. At least until we get a new midfielder.

as i said in my "pick the next team" thrwad i would start with edu and bendiksen in the middle of the park

Given the instructions to just patrol the midfield area 10 yards in front of the defence at all times, i think edu can be one of our best players, yeah he will still get up the park to support etc but the fact he is energetic, athletic and fit means he can actually be described as a "box-to-box" player

god i am going to hate saying this, but remember the ginger rat playing in MoN's team, his job was to simply break up play and then give the ball to the better players in his team, lennon didnt need technical ability, didnt need to look amazing on the ball, didnt have to shoot or be able to pass the ball 50 yards, as long as he halted the opposing mids running at his centre halves he was doing a good job

edu can fill that role no bother, track the runner and put him off, if he wins the ball then give it out wide to aluko, wylde or whoever, or give it to his central partner and allow them to conjur up some magic

shagger

edu

aluko-bendiksen-wylde

lafferty-jelavic

a simple 4-1-3-2 that allows mccoist to keep a reasonable amount of experience and his pal lafferty up top, and means the midfield all have one single job

The best option from a poor choice. (tu)

You're absolutely right, it's a failure of our transfer dealings that we haven't managed to sign sufficient cover to soften that blow.

Though, when I think about it, we've rotated and rotated in order to try and find this solution to the absent Naismith that we can't actually tell if there's a sufficient replacement in the squad, because the understanding Naismith, Jelavic, Davis and Lafferty had developed takes time.

When you think about it though, he has signed Ortiz and Bedoya both of whom shoudl be able to play there. We also have TKB fit again, he was/is a right sided midfielder too. So Ally has signed players in the eventuality that Naisy or whoever gets injured but he refuses to play them. We now also have Aluko who is playing right mid and he looks decent so the loss of Naisy maybe less felt as Sone gets used to our club and team.

Imo we have a bigger problem in the middle than out wide.

I would love to go into games with 2 strikers being supported by Wylde left and Aluko right, then behind them 2 cracking football players in the middle of the park, i dont think we have the 2 players i think we need.

The best option from a poor choice. (tu)

i dont particularly think its a poor choice mate, just a poor set up of them, we were playing a flat 4 man midfield last night, which is alright if you focus your attacks down the wings, and your midfield centre is fast, mobile and fit, but we didnt play down the wings and our midfield last night wasnt fast, mobile or fit

i dont particularly think its a poor choice mate, just a poor set up of them, we were playing a flat 4 man midfield last night, which is alright if you focus your attacks down the wings, and your midfield centre is fast, mobile and fit, but we didnt play down the wings and our midfield last night wasnt fast, mobile or fit

Its a poor choice imo, we have too many poor players in our squad, choices are limited.

you cant really say much about ortiz, mckay and bedoya though, thats another 3 possibilities, if given enought ime to show their abilities

I want to see more of those 3, Ortiz we have seen but he probably deserves more time given he came to the club unable to speak a word of English. It was always going to take him time to settle, in saying that, we needed players for first team and he is not getting any younger.

Edu is a crackin player?

At what? Fuckin netball??

Wouldn't be fuckin hard tay look good comin on as sub for Rangers last night!!

Plays one or two good passes? In a whole fuckin game?!!

Plays one or two good games in a whole fuckin season?

No pace. Not a box to box player! Can't tackle, so can't break up play! Can't create!(as our results confirm!) A petty fouler! So how the fuck is he a decent centre mid, never mind a fitba player???

We must be gettin fuckin desperate!!

When you think about it though, he has signed Ortiz and Bedoya both of whom shoudl be able to play there. We also have TKB fit again, he was/is a right sided midfielder too. So Ally has signed players in the eventuality that Naisy or whoever gets injured but he refuses to play them. We now also have Aluko who is playing right mid and he looks decent so the loss of Naisy maybe less felt as Sone gets used to our club and team.

Imo we have a bigger problem in the middle than out wide.

I would love to go into games with 2 strikers being supported by Wylde left and Aluko right, then behind them 2 cracking football players in the middle of the park, i dont think we have the 2 players i think we need.

He does, but as I said, he's not given anyone a consistant run in the team in that role to try and develop an understanding with the rest of the midfield/attacking units. I don't think we have a particular problem, as such, other than we've failed to deal with the loss of our star player and how he linked midfield and attack.

Aluko, is a different type of midfielder to Naismith and therefore requires a different style of play. Maybe we haven't adapted to that style, as a team? Maybe McCoist isn't using Aluko correctly?

I wouldn't be against that either and I agree, we don't have the players to play that type of system correctly.

He does, but as I said, he's not given anyone a consistant run in the team in that role to try and develop an understanding with the rest of the midfield/attacking units. I don't think we have a particular problem, as such, other than we've failed to deal with the loss of our star player and how he linked midfield and attack.

Aluko, is a different type of midfielder to Naismith and therefore requires a different style of play. Maybe we haven't adapted to that style, as a team? Maybe McCoist isn't using Aluko correctly?

I wouldn't be against that either and I agree, we don't have the players to play that type of system correctly.

(tu)

shagger

edu

aluko-bendiksen-wylde

lafferty-jelavic

Thats the Team I would have put out against the manky mob last night .Apart from Gioan

With TKB it has balance ,pace and skill.

He can also play a pass and when he came on against Hamburg looked the part and ran the chanels and of course scored.

If he can score against a Bundeslga outfit that will do for me.

He had a good game that night.

We are far too one dimensional and need some variation and balance.

I think we have to put a decent RB in that position as they caused proplem after problem last night .It is a weekness.