Our second biggest problem,

The most options in our squad to choose from yet the weak link in our team, what does Ally do to fix this and why is this the case?

McCulloch - Imposter

Edu - Not good enough but poss best of bad bunch.

Naismith - Injured, our MVP.

Davis - Passenger

Fleck - We simply dont know.

Ortiz - Waste of money

Hutton - Jury still out, will possibly never know

Ness - Always injured

Aluko - Looks exciting, who knows, too early to judge properly

McKay - We simply dont know.

Bedoya - We simply dont know.

Wylde - Hit and miss but a decent out ball on the left, never a right sided player.

Kerkar - Imposter

Bendiksen - Exciting but wont get fair crack of whip

McCabe - Very exciting youth coming through may face same problems as Hutton.

And then those Ally likes to play in midfield, the likes of

Papac - A failed CB who is now a LB, never a midfielder

Wallace - A left back, not a midfielder.

Bartley - Average to decent centre half, never a midfielder

Lafferty - Better striker than wide man, feel for him playing up front for us, must be impossible.

19 players to choose from, 19 and thats just for midfield to fill either 4 or 5 places.

Is it a lack of quality?

Is it a case of favourites first?

Is it a case of experience before skill?

Is it all 3?

Personally i think it is a combination of all 3. The way i look it is, any Rangers player who plays for us must be the best player in the league in his position as we are the biggest, richest and best team in the league, or are we?

Right midfield - 1st preferred player - Naismith. Is he our best option? And is he the best RM in the league? Yes to both imo.

2nd preferred player - Aluko. Is he our best option in the absence of Naisy? Yes imo.

Left midfield - 1st preferred player - Could be argued it is one of Wylde, Papac or Wallace, even Ortiz early doors and at desperate times Lafferty. Proves we still dont have that longed for left midfielder we have desperately needed for several years now. Anyway, Are they our best option within the club? Are they the best left midfielders within the league? Sadly yes and no for me.

Centre midfield - 1st preferred player - Davis. Is he our best cm? And is he the best cm in the league? I honestly do not know the answer to both questions, i am not convinced tbh. Vastly over rated imo and looks like he wants out.

2nd preferred player - McCulloch. Is he our best partner for Davis? Is he one of the best cm's in the league? It would have to be an obvious no to both imo.

3rd preferred player - Edu. Is he a good enough player for Rangers? Is he a stand out in this league? Again, for me, the answer to both is no.

And outside of those 3 it seems no one else gets a sniff in the middle of the park. Despite having 15 midfielders and 4 who are shoe horned in at times, we still seem some way off the quality needed to dominate even the weakest teams in the league. So, is it the players? Are they not good enough or is it the negative tactics deployed by our cautious manager? If there are any tactics that is.

Why are we so poor in midfield? Is it the lack of a steady or able left mdifielder, is it all down to Lee McCulloch being guaranteed his game in the middle? is it both meaning our midfield is starting games effectively 2 men down every week? Then we have Davis off form meaning 3 players missing from a 4 man midfield. We have no chance.

What do we do with guys like Ortiz, McKay, Bedoya, Fleck, Hutton, Ness, Bendiksen, Kerkar and McCabe less so being a youth?

Tbh seeing guys like Papac, Wallace, Bartley and McCulloch being in played in midfield pisses me off even before a ball is kicked, i can only wonder what real midfielders in our squad, and other players in fact, will be thinking to themselves.

It looks to me like Ally will play experience and alleged reputation before skill and excitement, that bit different and for us that will always lead to easy to counter poor play in-game.

Can we compete with Seltics mdifield? Is it allowed or fair to compare?

Aluko or Brown

Wallace or Forrest

McCulloch or Wanyama

Davis or Kayal

3-1 them imo. I think theirs has more football in it, more skill, more drive and more strength, they also had support from the full backs which we didnt. They had no Ledley in midfield, no Ki and no Commons. We had no Naismith and no Edu.

To me we are lacking real quality in there, football brains and a proper ball player or 2. Will Ally change? Can he see the problem? Is there a problem in midfield at all?

With Mr Whyte talking about cutting costs we should look at punting a few midfielders who contribute nothing to our cause.

Maurice Edu is a cracking player, tonight only confirmed that for me. I just don't think the manager instils confidence in him. He comes from a culture where he'd be motivated 24/7, pumped up for games for the entire week before bursting out of the tunnel and onto the pitch, he looks downtrodden at the moment and I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave at the end of the season.

He's been our best CM this season by a country mile, put in the best performances over the season so far and has been the only player to turn up in games where we're struggling - and most importantly he doesn't shite out of tackles like a certain S. Davis.

Maurice Edu is a cracking player, tonight only confirmed that for me. I just don't think the manager instils confidence in him. He comes from a culture where he'd be motivated 24/7, pumped up for games for the entire week before bursting out of the tunnel and onto the pitch, he looks downtrodden at the moment and I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave at the end of the season.

He's been our best CM this season by a country mile, put in the best performances over the season so far and has been the only player to turn up in games where we're struggling - and most importantly he doesn't shite out of tackles like a certain S. Davis.

Had a good season but that's too far.

Had a good season but that's too far.

All round midfielder, has a decent strike on him, can pass a ball, can tackle well, can head the ball well. I'd rather have Edu in the midfield than Davis over the course of a season. I know which of the two would put in the better shift.

He was expecting to leave in the summer, not sure what happened. Being our best CM this season is hardly commendable stuff, he is also one of our lowest earners, maybe he fancies a bit of what Davo and Whitts got?

Never saw him hide on the pitch and love that about him, i just dont think he has it, technically. Always looks cumbersome.

All round midfielder, has a decent strike on him, can pass a ball, can tackle well, can head the ball well. I'd rather have Edu in the midfield than Davis over the course of a season. I know which of the two would put in the better shift.

He's an ok passer; nothing more, nothing less. Wouldn't call a centre mid who lacks technical ability like Edu does a cracking player. His main strengths are his athleticism and tackling but he can too often be lacking in technical ability and can look uncomfortable on the ball.

I'd play them together to be honest.

He was expecting to leave in the summer, not sure what happened. Being our best CM this season is hardly commendable stuff, he is also one of our lowest earners, maybe he fancies a bit of what Davo and Whitts got?

Never saw him hide on the pitch and love that about him, i just dont think he has it, technically. Always looks cumbersome.

I find myself agreeing with you for the first time in ages :lol:. Edu does not hide - even when he was getting dogs abuse from the supporters he kept coming back and this season he has been much better. I just don't think he has the technical ability required. His first touch isn't good enough.

I thought he looked a bit gangly to begin with as well, but sometimes he does things which make me think "He's a cracking player". Tonight for example, whether a fluke or not, flicked the ball over a Celtic player on the edge of the box and played the pass into Jelavic, stuff like that makes me think he could turn out a cracking player.

He's been a professional footballer for around 3-4 years remember, the season he came to us he'd just won Rookie of the Year for Toronto, he's at about the same stage of his development as John Fleck or Gregg Wylde is, but considerably older.

I find myself agreeing with you for the first time in ages :lol:. Edu does not hide - even when he was getting dogs abuse from the supporters he kept coming back and this season he has been much better. I just don't think he has the technical ability required. His first touch isn't good enough.

(tu)

He's an ok passer; nothing more, nothing less. Wouldn't call a centre mid who lacks technical ability like Edu does a cracking player. His main strengths are his athleticism and tackling but he can too often be lacking in technical ability and can look uncomfortable on the ball.

Although it's probably not what people want to hear, a player who gives his all is better than a player who has the ability to do things but rarely does. In that respect, Davis is an inferior player to Edu.

Edu's passing tonight was 10x what we saw from Davis. Quick, crisp, clean passes wide and forward, making good forward runs, drawing opposition players out of position.

Edu is a great player, as is Davis, but the whole team seems to have lost confidence recently, I've no idea how to fix that.

Personally, I'd thrust McCabe, Bendiksen and possibly Fleck and Hutton into the team in the next few games, we need some hunger in our midfield, and their desire to win the places for themselves might just be the missing ingredient.

Although it's probably not what people want to hear, a player who gives his all is better than a player who has the ability to do things but rarely does. In that respect, Davis is an inferior player to Edu.

Edu's passing tonight was 10x what we saw from Davis. Quick, crisp, clean passes wide and forward, making good forward runs, drawing opposition players out of position.

Of course, but let's not pretend that Edu is a beacon of consistency. He's had a good season overall but his form towards the end of last season was awful and he still looks like he lacks so much.

I wasn't saying Davis' passing was good either. He keeps things ticking over but often, he doesn't go for the killer ball although he has done it occasionally. Ness is our best passer by a country mile imo.

Of course, but let's not pretend that Edu is a beacon of consistency. He's had a good season overall but his form towards the end of last season was awful and he still looks like he lacks so much.

I wasn't saying Davis' passing was good either. He keeps things ticking over but often, he doesn't go for the killer ball although he has done it occasionally. Ness is our best passer by a country mile imo.

Ness is undoubtedly our best passer of the ball, but I doubt there's much he can do from the physio room :disappointment:

Bendikson could have been a big player for us tonight exactly what we were missing

was he available tonight if so why was he not used ?

Because David Healy is Northern Irish and that makes him good at Football for Rangers... or in this reality he's shite.

Bendikson could have been a big player for us tonight exactly what we were missing

was he available tonight if so why was he not used ?

No idea, i dont think he was ever going to be considered for a match at the Piggery sadly or picked in front of Davis or Jig.

Said it a thousand times in the last week but I just cannot discount Ally picking the players he gets on best with.

I rarely see any justified footballing reasons for some of his team selections, McCulloch especially.

I think that is obvious mate. (tu) No one can deny he has his favourites and it affects our teams balance and fluidity.

Whittaker over McMillan no matter how many mistakes he makes.

McCulloch over everyone and anyone no matter if we drop points every time he plays.

Davis over everyone and anyone no matter how poor his form is.

Papac in midfield ahead of actual midfeilders.

Wallace on left wing ahead of an actual left winger.

Thats 5 untouchables who will be picked and played no matter how it affects the rest of the team.

I think that is obvious mate. (tu) No one can deny he has his favourites and it affects our teams balance and fluidity.

Whittaker over McMillan no matter how many mistakes he makes.

McCulloch over everyone and anyone no matter if we drop points every time he plays.

Davis over everyone and anyone no matter how poor his form is.

Papac in midfield ahead of actual midfeilders.

Wallace on left wing ahead of an actual left winger.

Thats 5 untouchables who will be picked and played no matter how it affects the rest of the team.

Not often we agree but I'm with you on that.

The three things that dictate selection policy at Rangers - in no specific order - are;

• How long the player has been there
  • How much the player is paid
  • How 'matey' the player is with the coaching staff

Sad times indeed.

Not often we agree but I'm with you on that.

The three things that dictate selection policy at Rangers - in no specific order - are;

• How long the player has been there
  • How much the player is paid
  • How 'matey' the player is with the coaching staff

Sad times indeed.

Its simply jobs for the boys. Walter started that crap. A job for Ally, a job for Ian Durrant........signing Lee McCulloch, Davie Weir, Andy Webster etc etc

Ally is only doing what his mentor taught him, on and off the park, which is not good enough for us. We are bigger than jobs for the boys. We deserve better than that.

Spot on about Edu, i recall talking to an agent about a few lads at Murray Park and he couldnt believe Edu got a game for us, he said Mo was so poor technically he was behind some of the 16/17 year olds in terms of technical ability.

If we got a decent bid for him in Jan, and by decent i mean making a profit, i would sell him.

As soon as Edu got on the park yesterday we actually looked like being able to sustain some pressure.

Having given it some thought, here's how I see things.

The issue of there being no link between our midfield and attack is absolutely correct. Unfortunately, the root of that issue relates back to the injury to Steven Naismith. Davis can link from deep with him on the right, while he would link with Jelavic and Lafferty.

There was an understanding and a devastating style in their play, particularly in the title run in last season and while it wasn't as devastating this season, it was still particularly effective. Wylde brought this balance to the midfield where, if our passing and link up was being halted and broken up by high pressure, we could release Wylde in behind and get a more direct, pacey threat on the other side, with Naismith, Lafferty and Jelavic all able in the air to cause a threat.

This season, without Naismith, we do not have this ability to link between midfield and attack. Steven Davis can do this role on the right, he did it (less effectively than Naismith), in his first couple of seasons at Rangers. The key difference here, we do not have any fit players who have the footballing intelligence to then play the central midfield role that Davis plays in this link up puzzle. Previously, when Davis played on the right in his first couple of years, we had Mendes, Ferguson and Thomson in central midfield. All capable, intelligent footballers who all had an eye for a pass.

Now, if we were to look to use Davis wide right, and when we have looked to use him wide right this season we have McCulloch and Edu to pair together in central midfield and they do not have the intelligence of Davis to play that role. We have Jamie Ness, I think he could play that role though he's a little less prone to driving forward with the ball than Davis is, but he's perpetually injured. I'm not sure if Kyle Hutton can play that role and I don't think Bendiksen plays that role from central midfield.