Gregg Wylde for a shot as a striker?

Colonel Mustard

For me, Wylde doesn't have the trickery to make it as a winger, nor does he have the delivery. What he does have however, is a great burst of pace, and he works hard with plenty of energy.

He's starting to remind me of Peter Lovenkrands, who was hopeless most of the time on the wing, but when he got the chance to use his pace through the middle, did us a good turn as a striker.

I know some on here might laugh off the idea, but there are plenty of precedents to support at least giving it a try. Ralph Brand told me of how he learned a lot being played on both wings, before being moved inside as a strike partner for Jimmy Millar.

Willie Johnston too had spells as an inside forward (a kind of support striker for younger Bears), and also filled in at centre forward on occasion.

Even Stevie Naismith more recently moved from his time on the wing, to become a good support striker for us (when playing there instead of midfield).

I think it could be worth giving Wylde a few bounce games at centre forward to see if it suits him. I haven't see him on the end of enough chances to know exactly how good his finishing is, but we could do with more striking cover, and you never know what you might find out...

...he could be the new Lovenkrands...

...or the new Ally Scott. :craphead:

Not for me, lacks so much to be a professional footballer never mind a starter for the Rangers. He also has a severe lack of composure, he would fall apart in front of goal. Can see the similarity and comparison though. (tu) Neil McCann was my fav winger turned striker :drool:

I've wondered about that strangely enough. Lovenkrands was ruined by us, played as a winger, in my opinion; I do wonder if we in Scotland, rather naively, just assume that pacy players should be wingers. That said, I wouldn't give up on him, he is better than given credit for, and if we play him properly he could be a very good player.

Not for me, lacks so much to be a professional footballer never mind a starter for the Rangers. He also has a severe lack of composure, he would fall apart in front of goal.

Pretty much spot on...

I'm a firm believer of if you are played out of position you should still be able to show that you are a very capable footballer. Wylde seems to lack a lot of technique, I just can't see him progressing in the way that people expect him to, and he has had chances this season.

Not good enough but thats just my opinion of course.

He played two brilliant games for us last season: the tie against PSV at Ibrox, and the League Cup final. What we do wrong with him is put too much responsibility on him: nearly every young player has had that in the last few years because of Squad numbers. Hopefully, with a few more signings, we can gradually bring players like Greg Wylde in and let them develop into the fold at a steady basis.

On a football level, as regards how he plays, I would like to see him take the ball less deep on occasions, and run to the pass rather than take the play deep and beat one or two of the opposition; nearly every time he gets the ball he gets it with two or three players around him: we still don't seem able to play that kind of football in Scotland for some reason.

That said, we did do it today for Stevie's first goal, and we should be doing more of that. A Rangers team, playing the ball, will win all the time.

Pretty much spot on...

I'm a firm believer of if you are played out of position you should still be able to show that you are a very capable footballer. Wylde seems to lack a lot of technique, I just can't see him progressing in the way that people expect him to, and he has had chances this season.

Not good enough but thats just my opinion of course.

When he was in the youth team, his team mates couldnt believe how much he was rated by our coaches, a few of them admitted he was hopeless and all he had was pace which even now, seems pretty spot on. He has had 6 full years to progress as the raw kid we signed as a left back cross left winger, he doesnt look like he has learned anything in those 6 years.

When he was in the youth team, his team mates couldnt believe how much he was rated by our coaches, a few of them admitted he was hopeless and all he had was pace which even now, seems pretty spot on. He has had 6 full years to progress as the raw kid we signed as a left back cross left winger, he doesnt look like he has learned anything in those 6 years.

I disagree: those two matches I referred to tell me there is a player in there somewhere.

That's quite interesting mate, a lot of the people around me at Ibrox all pretty much agree, you just know what he's about to do next.

Can only hope training with players like Aluko who have a lot of skill and tight ball control may just rub off on him.

That's quite interesting mate, a lot of the people around me at Ibrox all pretty much agree, you just know what he's about to do next.

Can only hope training with players like Aluko who have a lot of skill and tight ball control may just rub off on him.

One would think so, eh. Its the lack of progression in the last 6 years which worries me. Training every day for 6 years, surely anyoen would show some form of progression, i just dont see it with him.

2 good games out of almost 50?

Well, not exactly 48 bad games, just a lot more games where he could have done a lot better. He is a better than people think, certainly better than his former team-mates apparently thought he was: he really does need to either work on those things he needs to improve on, or he needs to be played better in the team. A bit of both possibly.

Well, not exactly 48 bad games, just a lot more games where he could have done a lot better. He is better than people think, certainly better than he team-mates thought he was; he really does need to either work on those things he needs to improve on, or he needs to be played better in the team. A bit of both possibly.

Does it not alarm you that he has had so much time to improve yet is still only able to run in straight lines and do nothing else? One would have thought he could have at leats learned something from someone during that period. Something, anything to show the fan, look, i am getting better, i am your future.

Does it not alarm you that he has had so much time to improve yet is still only able to run in straight lines and do nothing else? One would have thought he could have at leats learned something from someone during that period. Something, anything to show the fan, look, i am getting better, i am your future.

I have a feeling he will come good. Those two games he excelled in last season were huge; certainly huge for a young player in his first proper season. It doesn't alarm me, no; it concerns me though that we seem to play him in a one-dimensional fashion. I have made clear where I think some of his faults are, and I think they could be amended. Only my opinion though; we'll see how he does over time.

I have a feeling he will come good. Those two games he excelled in last season where huge; certainly huge for a young player. It doesn't alarm me, no; it concerns me though that we seem to play him in a one-dimensional fashion. I have made clear where I think some of his faults are, and I think they could be amended. Only my opinion though; we'll see how he does over time.

Thats fair enough. (tu)