Always worth remembering...

D'Artagnan

As much as i despise the guy, I think thats taking things to the extreme to be honest. Pretty sure ive used "coconut" before when somebody has said something daft and certainly not meant any racial context.

Kireon Brady on the other hand, well thats a different story altogether :sherlock:

As much as i despise the guy, I think thats taking things to the extreme to be honest. Pretty sure ive used "coconut" before when somebody has said something daft and certainly not meant any racial context.

Kireon Brady on the other hand, well thats a different story altogether :sherlock:

Dont use it in New Zealand fella ;)

Coconut

(US) a person of Hispanic descent who's accused of acting white.

(New Zealand) a Pacific Islander. Named after the coconut, the nut from the coconut palm.

(UK/AUS) a black person who exhibits behaviour associated with caucasians; (US) a black person trying to be 'white'.

(South Africa) a black person who acts white.

(Canada) an individual of South Asian (typically Dravidian) descent, who is accused of trying to be 'white'.

PIRA has been a silly silly boy, which is nice

Powar's position is clearly untenable after that.

You cannot have an anti-racist campaigner who indulges in such racism, or where there is even a whiff of racist undertones to what he says. He has zero credibility and has brought FARE into disrepute.

You cannot have an anti-racist campaigner who indulges in such racism, or where there is even a whiff of racist undertones to what he says. He has zero credibility and has brought FARE into disrepute.

Bang on the money (tu)

Which is nice!

You should visit the Midlands sometime and call any Asian a "coconut"...and please pm me your address so as i know where to send the get well soon card.

There's almost no way an asian in Britain cannot be aware of the racist connotations of this word, it's very well known and when you're job is as some sort of self appointed guardian against racism then you're almost duty bound to research and know what racist terms are commonly in use. It's interesting the guy accuses him of having an anti Liverpool agenda, perhaps Man United are his other team along with Celtic. We've seen the underhand tactics first hand on here, Rangers fans misbehave and a report goes to the SPL and UEFA, Celtic fans misbehave and Piara passes the details of anyone who reports them onto Celtic.

He's 'Bounty' get in trouble for it.

Stole my joke. I was on the way to making it. :disappointment:

I do think though, that this is a bit ostentatious, the guy is a prick, but I'm sure he just meant 'coconut' as 'daft', rather than racist, I've never heard that as a racist term, maybe more fool me.

Stole my joke. I was on the way to making it. :disappointment:

I do think though, that this is a bit ostentatious, the guy is a prick, but I'm sure he just meant 'coconut' as 'daft', rather than racist, I've never heard that as a racist term, maybe more fool me.

As Moonlighter has pointed out Gary this term is viewed as racist by a section of our community (which is all it requires to constitute a crime being committed)

Furthermore considering Power's background it is difficult to believe he would not have been aware of the sensitivities of this word. Moreover he heads an organisation which promotes "zero tolerance" of any kind of racist behaviour - in humour etc.

I wonder if people would have been having such a discussion the first time the word "n***er" was used to describe a black man ?

As per the OP, I remember at the time the Rangers support was "done" thanks to FARE, how it was the dinosaur/bigot/whatever element of the supports fault.. knuckledraggers! remembered!

Interesting that, someone, allegedly called Brady, whom we know about, working on behalf of a man who, as it turns out, is a racist, caused this.

Yet, so many "fans" posted vitriol about being "ashamed" of our own support!

Appears the source for this "story" isnt quite so trustworthy is it?

There's almost no way an asian in Britain cannot be aware of the racist connotations of this word, it's very well known and when you're job is as some sort of self appointed guardian against racism then you're almost duty bound to research and know what racist terms are commonly in use. It's interesting the guy accuses him of having an anti Liverpool agenda, perhaps Man United are his other team along with Celtic. We've seen the underhand tactics first hand on here, Rangers fans misbehave and a report goes to the SPL and UEFA, Celtic fans misbehave and Piara passes the details of anyone who reports them onto Celtic.

Fair enough. Seems a few more people are aware there are other connotations goin with the replies. I honestly have never heard of that being a slur though to be fair, i reckon it was only my kids ive ever said it to. (tu)

Fair enough. Seems a few more people are aware there are other connotations goin with the replies. I honestly have never heard of that being a slur though to be fair, i reckon it was only my kids ive ever said it to. (tu)

I can accept that fully Aluko...but I dont believe for a minute the head of an anti-racist did not realise the connotation of such a word.