Going to the games in the 70s

While Manchester was brilliant, the trips to Leeds and Newcastle late 60's(no quite the 70's but I'm auld), were supreme invasions. Our bus left Denny packed with booze, I mean packed. But by the time we got to Dalkeith we had to top up...!!! The buses all met at Scotch Corner to discuss going into Newcastle..........basically, no singing for about a hour before we hit the suburbs - then windows, doors, wide open and gave it laldy - song after song. Bus after bus after bus with flags, banners, Club shields, pouring into the city. El Alamein could not have been more impressive. Then the game itself (Newcastle)....there were so many Bears that one of the exit gates burst open, so thousands poured in and threw their tickets back out again (they reckon St. James had about 10-15,000 over capacity that night). Once inside, there were bodies all over the place - the gate had pinned them inside up against it, blood broken legs, the lot. After we went down 2-0 some of the brethren decided to invade the pitch. My mate and I got out and went to a pub, where a wee while later the polis came in to empty the place cos some Bears were nicking, not bottles of beer, but kegs - unreal. When we came down the stairs out to the pavement we ran the gauntlet of polis and their dugs. Mind you the woofers were pretty quiet cos we were feeding them beer - ever seen an Alsatian, sitting on a pavement pissed, singing Derry's Walls...? Could go on and on - great night. Who else was there..?

i was there and still got the programme,pannicked like hell when the gates went.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember the trips to Pittodrie? They used to keep them in the stadium after the game until we were away for their own safety. All the Bears would go round to that big grassy bit at the Beach End and hide behind the hundreds of caravans that were there that had been selling stuff. When they came out after about half an hour - ambush and bedlum!

The Lex McLean show on a Saturday night when he would come on in his Gers scarf and say "along the track the train came puffin, Rangers two, Celtic nuffin!" :clap:

Remember it pissing down one game against Aberdeen I think it was and old man's best mate took off his specs to clear them and missed the only goal of the game when we scored. He was pissed at missing the goal and us laughing at him which only made it worse of course, was totally drookit but din't give a toss, gers had won