£1 deal paves the way for Kennedy and Blue Knights to seal Rangers deal

Brian Kennedy and the Blue Knights are back in the race to buy Rangers after striking a deal for Craig Whyte’s shares.

Sale Sharks owner Kennedy is currently in New York on business, but told Sportsmail he has reached agreement with the discredited owner to transfer the shares for £1.

Kennedy and Paul Murray will now go head-to-head with a mystery UK-based consortium for the right to enter negotiations with creditors over a voluntary agreement which would preserve the club’s history and avoid substantial sporting sanctions, including a three-year European ban.

Kennedy and the Knights came close to acquiring preferred-bidder status before the Bill Miller fiasco left administrators Duff & Phelps high and dry.

The entry of an unnamed UK consortium, who have also done a deal with Whyte for his shares, has been the source of widespread scepticism. However, Kennedy’s lawyer held a meeting with Duff & Phelps yesterday and was told there would be an answer ‘one way or the other’ by today.

‘The administrators chose the wrong horse when they went with Bill Miller,’ said the Scots businessman. ‘I wouldn’t like to see them make the same mistake again.

‘Financially, a newco doesn’t work unless you can write a cheque for £35million to compensate for the absence of European football. We would only contemplate a CVA.’

Paul Clark, joint administrator, said of the latest moves: ‘We have continued discussions today with the parties remaining in the bidding process and good progress has been made.

‘We can also state that Craig Whyte has confirmed that he will transfer his shareholding in Rangers Football Club to two of the parties and has indicated he would not be an impediment to a sale.

‘We will issue a further update tomorrow (Friday) and can say that every effort is being made to conclude the sale of the club as quickly as possible.’

The rival London-based consortium is thought to include individuals who have held senior posts at Premiership and Championship clubs.

On Thursday night former player-manager Graeme Souness told Sportsmail: ‘I can categorically, 100 per cent, deny that I have committed myself to any consortium proposing to buy Glasgow Rangers.

‘I have no connection with anyone proposing to buy Rangers.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2142698/Rangers-deal-Brian-Kennedy.html

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not reading any more stories until the name Glasgow Rangers and Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani is mentioned, including a link.

Until then I will wait until Monday when they will announce the SPL has agreed to extend the number of games in the league to allow D+P more time to consider 12 more bids that have just been found in the inside pocket of a suit they have not worn in the past 3 months.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4309889/Ill-only-come-back-with-Brian.html

Exclusive

By ROBERT GRIEVE

GRAEME SOUNESS insists he will only make a sensational return to Rangers if pal Brian Kennedy is handed the keys to Ibrox.

Soeuy last night told SunSport he was not interested in being part of any other bid.

The Light Blues legend, 59, is close friends with Sale Sharks supremo Kennedy.

But Souness fears his plans to gain control of the crisis club are already doomed.

A mystery UK-based consortium were yesterday locked in talks with administrators Duff & Phelps after agreeing a deal with majority shareholder Craig Whyte.

Souness said: “I know rumours have been rife in Scotland but I can’t understand why my name has been mentioned. I say that because NO ONE has spoken to me.

“If Brian Kennedy had been getting involved there was a possibility — and I emphasise the word possibility — of me having some role to play.

“But I spoke to Brian earlier today and it now looks like he’s out of it.

“I know nothing about the other speculation.”

Kennedy, though, is still part of the Blue Knights’ consortium. Their offer remains on the table with a decision expected to finally come today.

Kennedy, below, said: “The administrators chose the wrong horse when they went with Bill Miller.

“I wouldn’t like to see them make the same mistake again.”

Miller’s £11.2million offer favoured a newco scenario but Kennedy stressed again he would only consider a deal that involved exiting administration via a CVA.

He added: “Financially, a newco doesn’t work unless you can write a cheque for £35m to compensate for the absence of European football. We would only contemplate a CVA.”

SunSport can reveal that Kennedy held a secret summit with owner Whyte at his Highland hideaway Castle Grant on Sunday.

The two men talked over options for the stricken Glasgow giants as Whyte battles to find a solution that will NOT see Gers slide into liquidation.

Venture capitalist Whyte is desperate to avoid that scenario.

That’s why he was in negotiations yesterday to push his deal with the UK consortium we revealed as his favoured bidders on Wednesday morning.

That group includes a “household name with Premiership experience” with the big money coming from a Far Eastern financier.

Former directors from clubs in the north east and south of England are also believed to be involved.

But SunSport can reveal legendary boss Walter Smith is NOT involved.

Smith was asked by administrator David Whitehouse to speak to Bill Ng and Bill Miller around a fortnight ago.

They wanted him to outline how much cash would be needed to rebuild the club purely on the football side of things. Other than that, Smith has had no discussions with with any other party

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4309889/Ill-only-come-back-with-Brian.html#ixzz1uWFuABzU

I'd welcome BK and TBK obviously, but I'm seriously worried about how they will keep the club afloat post season :disappointment:

GS has mentioned £3.5M from transfer outs, but surely we owe money to other people etc.

Can someone maybe clarify this?

We should find out today or tomorrow who the people involved in this London consortium are. Personally, if these guys are football minded and have stacks of cash, as the admin have themselves stated, then i want them to buy us. I feel that this is the last chance saloon for the credibility of D&P. If we don't find out who this consortium are by Sunday at the latest, then what little credibility they have left will have gone as far as i am concerned. TBK simply don't seem to have the cash, unfortunately.

I am not reading any more stories until the name Glasgow Rangers and Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani is mentioned, including a link.

Until then I will wait until Monday when they will announce the SPL has agreed to extend the number of games in the league to allow D+P more time to consider 12 more bids that have just been found in the inside pocket of a suit they have not worn in the past 3 months.

hahahahahaha fucking hilarious,nice one (tu)

‘Financially, a newco doesn’t work unless you can write a cheque for £35million to compensate for the absence of European football. We would only contemplate a CVA.’

I'd be very wary about any bid that seems to think that there is realistically £35 million in European money up for Rangers to grab ... it's the kind of fantasy that has brought Rangers to the position it is now.

I'd be very wary about any bid that seems to think that there is realistically £35 million in European money up for Rangers to grab ... it's the kind of fantasy that has brought Rangers to the position it is now.

Things could have been so much different if we had beat Monaco in 2000 at Ibrox & reached the knockout stages of the CL.

Pretty sure Miller missed a sitter in that match.

Things could have been so much different if we had beat Monaco in 2000 at Ibrox & reached the knockout stages of the CL.

Yer feckin arse they wouldv'e just blew that away anaw like every other last penny we made in europe

I thouht tbk didny have the cash? their bid was blown out the water by millers and the money the are using is based on fans investment? my head is bursting lads but for me something doesn't sit well with Paul murray anyway. He was part of the old regime who got us into this mess, why would we want him back? i maybe well off the mark cos there has been so much shit talked about since Feb. But for me now it looks very much like the English based consortium. Whoever they may be. .........

Kenny Miller scored that night. Amoruso gave the ball away to Simone at the edge of the area to put us out im sure.

hope they get control but a standalone cva is the main thing.

the fact the other consortium is in hiding is a worry.

Stop Press.................

kennedy will give whyte his lifetime Directors Box seats. Asked if mini is in agreement , he replied that fucker is lucky if he gets one.rolleyes.gif

Stop Press.................

kennedy will give whyte his lifetime Directors Box seats. Asked if mini is in agreement , he replied that fucker is lucky if he gets one.rolleyes.gif

good for Kennedy. he's going to sit whyte next to Andy smillie and souness in the directors box I hear.