What do the OF victories actually mean?

Danny

The first one was possibly a tad fortunate, after the tims had outplayed us in the first half, only for the most unlikely goal ever to swing the game our way before we then took charge.

The second one looked like the tims had sent on cardboard cutouts of themselves to play.

In saying that, a few tim m8s of mine admitted we'd completely gubbed them at Ibrox - and I had a lot of fun winding some up.

But I do kinda wonder what the bigger picture might be.

Does it prove that Smith knows how to win OF games and the SPL? Or were these 2 OF matches not really that representative of things to come?

The 1st game at Parkhead proved if you dont take your chances then you dont win matches, it was a story of 2halfs and in the 2nd half we were brilliant and it took a bit of luck for us to escape with a victory but for our 2nd half display we deserved our win. The game on Saturday there we were excellent and 2-0 didnt reflect the the game should of been 4 or 5-0. All tims are saying it didnt mean anything but of course it does all Old Firm games mean everything and if the last game didnt mean anything to them why did they send out a full team?? :Animation44:

I also think Saturday proved there is no difference between the teams and that our inconsistency at the start of the season has cost us dearly this year but i do feel we will be back next season to make it number 52 championee

Guest The Brown Brogue

It shows that we have finally gotten over the losing mentality that has run through the side for the past few seasons.

Don't think we should underestimate the psychological effect winning the past 2 games will have on the squad, not to mention the fans.

We've planted a big seed of doubt in their minds now, and for the first time in ages I can't wait for the next old firm game.

It shows nothing at all on it's own. Things can change. Remember that Alex McLeish came in and initially had a good record against Celtic. He latter had a seven match sequence without a win, I think it was.

I would say it shows Walter knows how to play football in the SPL nevermind OF.

Things to come? We will see an improvement. We've already seen a magnificent second half of the season. Shame Walter was brought in too late.

Celtic played a full strength team and everyone knows both teams will do their best to win the derby, no matter if the match means anything in terms of the League.

I am optimistic for next season. If we do not win the league, we will certainlly push it to the wire in my opinion.

We have seen a constant imporvement under Walter culminating in the gubbing of them at IBROX. Sure we had a few draws, but those would probably have been losses under Frenchie.

So... there's never an OF friendly, and winning is not only bragging rights, it continues or stops momentum perhaps even to the next season?

the thing is..as you rightly said, we got outplayed at CP first half, but that generally happens to most teams that go there... WS knew that, got his tactics spot on, we got a goal and from there on in we were the better team by a mile. at Ibrox we are expected to beat any opposition that come , and to be honest that was probobly the easiest game we have played all season, Boyds goal was coming, and even though we sometimes say that..you could tell it was only a matter of time before we scored.

WS does seem to have a nack of saying the right things to the players prior to an OF game to gear them up for it, not only that we have improved every game since he arrived that those 2 results were bound to happen.

on the flip side though..celtic had all but won the league when we played them at CP..and they were officially champions at Ibrox.. but if your telling me they were never up for the OF games or that they 'didnt care' then thats a load of balls

when you look at celtic recent form FORGET plg, forget everything else and look at our draw with inverness and hibs, 4 points down. the gap going into the last 2 games would have been 5 points... im just glad walters got it down to a single digit now anyway. but it would only have been celtics to throw away even if they "won it at halloween"

Everything for a few days before an OF game is different to other games. I am much more nervous before an OF game so when we win the pent up emotions come out and the feeling of euphoria is that much more. To me personally they mean a lot.

I think a few replies have slightly missed the point. It's not 'what do OF victories mean to you' it's 'what did the fact we won our first 2 for ages mean in the grand scheme of things for RFC?'.

I think a few replies have slightly missed the point. It's not 'what do OF victories mean to you' it's 'what did the fact we won our first 2 for ages mean in the grand scheme of things for RFC?'.

I think psychologically it gave the club a massive boost. For a while i think we went to celtic park thinking we couldnt win but not even though we didnt play that well and still won it has made us realise that we can beat them in their own backyard. Celtic have been lucky this year and now they will be having confidence problems after seeing how totally outclassed they were at ibrox. I know the table says 9 points difference but when you think how lucky celtic have been with i think 3 own goals giving them victories they didnt deserve and 4 or 5 games they got lucky last min goals when they had been outplayed the whole match it makes you realise that we can catch them next year. This "luck" seems to have deserted them over the past few weeks. Even with this team we have now if walter smith had been here last summer i believe we would be champions now.