Rangers Total Football?

DEXYSC

Now we’re playing in div3 I want to know opinions on our tactics, we’ve bought SPL standard players to get us back up as soon as...

Over the past 20 or so years I’ve seen Rangers deploying different tactics and style of playing to suit SPL/premier league or European football.

My point is now we’re out of Europe for at least 3 years,

Do you think now is the time to put a marker down to play a certain way of football and stick to it. I.e. total football (Dutch style).

Total football is just an example, what I’m saying is a way of playing football that doesn’t change because of the personnel who plays that day.

For years IMO Rangers have always reacted to situations at the time (defensive tactics that got us through to uefa cup final).

I’m not saying there was anything wrong with those tactics they obviously worked until the final.

I remember when we played juventus and got humped at Ibrox and away, but at that time we steamrollered teams in Scotland.

We played raith rovers on the Saturday and it was 90% attacking football,

then we played one of the best teams in Europe at the time and it was at least 70% defending.(total change of tactics) It didn’t work.

My point being now we have time on our side,

I think we should introduce a way of playing football that will be attractive to watch plus at the same time producing the correct results.(Most Times)

IMO we’ve been hindered to the style we play because of the pressure of winning the league, cups and Europe.

Now we have breathing space to play a certain way to be effective and successful.(most times)

Our history dictates 4-4-2, I don’t disagree but any tactics will do me as long as it’s successful.

Bottom line: I think now is the time to do it, get our way of playing a good system and any players we buy must adjust to our tactics rather than vice versa. Barcelona and other teams do it.

We will never have a better chance to do it, because of where we’ve been put. (div 3)

I would love to see progress in our system because as our last game showed: If Rangers don’t win and win in style, the Bears aren’t happy.....

We've got the strikers to play long ball football, but we've brought in ball playing midfielders like Black and Shiels (who can also play up front).

I'm honestly not sure what Ally wants to go for.

Sandaza can play it on the deck, but Kyle looks like an idiot tbh - and I say that with the greatest respect as the guy is a Ranger now.

Rangers have had a history of strong defences going back years. Probably why defensive football took over in Europe as we played to our strengths, but every team that has success in european competitions has a rock solid defence even if they don't score loads. Only exception may be Bareclona but they're a different kettle of fish. Look at Chelsea last year.....

Rangers have had a history of strong defences going back years. Probably why defensive football took over in Europe as we played to our strengths, but every team that has success in european competitions has a rock solid defence even if they don't score loads. Only exception may be Bareclona but they're a different kettle of fish. Look at Chelsea last year.....

I agree m8, my opinion is whatever system we play is stick to it, so every player knows their role. With our resources compared to European elite, good defence and hit on the break at this stage should be the way forward and buy players accordingly. That would seem the way forward for europe and easily here so get that system going now! Dont waver from it!

This is as good a chance as any for Ally to develop his own individual style. I certainly don't have an issue with the big men up top but if we're going down that route let's see some width in the team. Some of the players Ally are buying should allow us to comfortably bully teams but I'd love to see Ally develop a team that's happy to get the ball onto the deck and comfortable with it to hold onto it. We're not going to start playing like Spain or Barcelona but we've got a great opportunity to make the best of a bad situation and nurture a team who win but also do it playing football.

Our main problem is the defenders lumping the ball forward. If Ally can get them to use the midfield more then we'd see an improvement in the quality of play. There were lots of times Black etc were free for a pass and actively looking for it but Goian or Boca would just lump it forward.

If you can't use a ball the way it should be used then you shouldn't be at Rangers. Defence can be strong, midfield should be strong and powerful; but the using the ball well should be the Rangers way. I am sick of seeing us totally useless and ineffective at free-kicks and corners.

If you can't use a ball the way it should be used then you shouldn't be at Rangers. Defence can be strong, midfield should be strong and powerful; but the using the ball well should be the Rangers way. I am sick of seeing us totally useless and ineffective at free-kicks and corners.

(tu) This.

For too long we have lacked invention and the ability to knock the ball around with ease. I mean it is not difficult to do it and we have players capable they just need the direction from Ally and also the patience from us the fans to be allowed to express themselves and sometimes make mistakes without being abused.

Time for a new direciton and I would love to see us play a passing game week in week out as our first option then mix it up if needs be.

(tu) This.

For too long we have lacked invention and the ability to knock the ball around with ease. I mean it is not difficult to do it and we have players capable they just need the direction from Ally and also the patience from us the fans to be allowed to express themselves and sometimes make mistakes without being abused.

Time for a new direciton and I would love to see us play a passing game week in week out as our first option then mix it up if needs be.

When I look at us in these situations I wonder what is going on at that state-of-the-art training ground. It isn't acceptable.

When I look at us in these situations I wonder what is going on at that state-of-the-art training ground. It isn't acceptable.

Yeah you would think our players would be working on set-pieces on a daily basis as well as shooting form outside the box.

I honestly blame us the fans and management for a part of it though (not set-pieces etc but our way of palying football). I think our need and desire to win sometimes puts too much pressure on the players at times and they would rather get the ball up the park instead of having some patience and building an attack.

When you see players like Adam, Fleck, Ness, McCabe, McKay and McLeod the one thing you noticed about everyone one of them was that they could play football, could pass and control the ball with ease. So the coaching seems to be working it's just we can't seem to be able to change our overall ethos to suit ball playing players.

If Ally really wants to put a stamp on this team and a new style of passing attractive football then he has to come out and say "right we are going to try and play football the right way and be exciting. We are trying to build something special here but sometimes it won't always come off but we as a team need your patience"

I think if Ally did that then it would take a wee bit of edge off the players. However the hard part is ensuring we keep that winning mentality and thats where I believe the problem is. Winning is more important than playing nice football but I'm at the stage now were I've seen us win many many trophies, a lot of the times ugly and sometimes with style but now I'd like to be winning with style all the time.

Yeah you would think our players would be working on set-pieces on a daily basis as well as shooting form outside the box.

I honestly blame us the fans and management for a part of it though (not set-pieces etc but our way of palying football). I think our need and desire to win sometimes puts too much pressure on the players at times and they would rather get the ball up the park instead of having some patience and building an attack.

When you see players like Adam, Fleck, Ness, McCabe, McKay and McLeod the one thing you noticed about everyone one of them was that they could play football, could pass and control the ball with ease. So the coaching seems to be working it's just we can't seem to be able to change our overall ethos to suit ball playing players.

If Ally really wants to put a stamp on this team and a new style of passing attractive football then he has to come out and say "right we are going to try and play football the right way and be exciting. We are trying to build something special here but sometimes it won't always come off but we as a team need your patience"

I think if Ally did that then it would take a wee bit of edge off the players. However the hard part is ensuring we keep that winning mentality and thats where I believe the problem is. Winning is more important than playing nice football but I'm at the stage now were I've seen us win many many trophies, a lot of the times ugly and sometimes with style but now I'd like to be winning with style all the time.

You make some great points, and it is possibly an attitude of mind about what we ask of our players. It isn't just us; nearly every team in Britain does this. In other countries you wouldn't you would be expected to be capable of using a ball properly; and yet in this country it is somehow overlooked. I can see no other reason why we are so poor when we come up against these countries.

Need to sort out our shakey defence.

Would imagine we might see some rather nice football at Ibrox. My concern though, and this stems from playing in the SPL too, is that we don't try to replicate it away from home. There seems to be a panic that often sets in, like we aren't good enough to play our passing football away from home. Obviously other factors contribute to this, just think we have to be a bit braver and bolder.

Fact is, we are without question, bursting with players superior to other teams around us. We should be showing them this

I agree but my point is we will be promoted this season, for years we've cried out give the youngsters a chance. To me fleck couldn't deliver on the big stage for whatever reason.(there's lots of theories) But surely now the youngsters should flourish without spl/europe games to live up to! Away grounds is a factor this season for not being able to produce the passing football we desire, but playing at Ibrox should tell the difference! But as ive said its not about players it should be about our system!

If were looking for a system to compete in europe,(in 3years time) surely we can start that system now, if not why not???

You make some great points, and it is possibly an attitude of mind about what we ask of our players. It isn't just us; nearly every team in Britain does this. In other countries you wouldn't you would be expected to be capable of using a ball properly; and yet in this country it is somehow overlooked. I can see no other reason why we are so poor when we come up against these countries.

Without a doubt though there is something not right with regards to coaching as well though. I am not jsut putting it down to fans or wanting to win all the time.

But you see the difference in Spain and even at certain clubs down south like Arsenal. Barcelona for example are simply not allowed to play ugly football as their fans don't accept it. They have a philosophy that always comes first. Even at Real Madrid they said Mourinho would not be welcome their because of his brand of football and even though he is winning he has still had troubles with Real Madrid fans for the way he is doing it.

Even at Arsenal you see them every season coming out and playing the way they believe is right and their fans have bought into it as well. I know the fans at Arsenal have just about lost their patience at not winning anything but they still believe in their brand of football and want to win using it.

We are always going to support our club but if Ally wants the majority fans to keep coming back week in week out throughout the 3rd, 2nd and 1st divisions then he has got to serve up a brand of entertaining football.

I agree but my point is we will be promoted this season, for years we've cried out give the youngsters a chance. To me fleck couldn't deliver on the big stage for whatever reason.(there's lots of theories) But surely now the youngsters should flourish without spl/europe games to live up to! Away grounds is a factor this season for not being able to produce the passing football we desire, but playing at Ibrox should tell the difference! But as ive said its not about players it should be about our system!

If were looking for a system to compete in europe,(in 3years time) surely we can start that system now, if not why not???

Yeah I agree basically. I don't totally agree to having a "system" that is rigid though and defines our play style. I would prefer a play style that can be adapted into different systems.

If we have one system then we would be predictable. We need to be able to adjust our system for when needs be but we should always have an overriding philosophy that defines us.

Although I agree that we should be starting right now at building a style/system that can define us for years to come.

I still get the impression Ally doesn't really know what he's doing.

What the fuck is the point in buying ball-playing players like Black and Shiels and then buying Kevin Kyle to lump it up the park ?

Utterly pointless.

My thought was that Kyle is for away matches. Now that doesn't really make me feel any better because it means our away football is going to be horrendous.

If I see Kyle starting up front at Ibrox ahead of Sandaza, Little, McCulloch and McKay then I know passing football we ain't going to be seeing!

I still get the impression Ally doesn't really know what he's doing.

What the fuck is the point in buying ball-playing players like Black and Shiels and then buying Kevin Kyle to lump it up the park ?

Utterly pointless.

Sadly agree too.

I so desperately want Ally to suceed and there isn't a chance i'm writing him off but I do feel that he is still struggling to get to grips with things. Tactically, sometimes, I struggle to even grasp what formation we are playing.

To be fair though, this is almost like 2/3 years of practice for him to get stuff right and to learn. I'm very much hoping he will

Rangers is built on the basis of 'NO SURRENDER'. You only need 1 goal to win a game. Total football? I'm just happy to watch Rangers play football.

Aye, you obviously saw us in the early 60s and before. If you read the words of Bill Struth properly you will see that nowhere do they say lump the ball up the park, be scared of Brechin or any team for that matter, and never make a chance from a free-kick or corner. Turgid is the word for the way we play. Like it or not, but football IS part of the entertainment business. On a cold Januray night people are expected to go and see Rangers and speak about a lot more than a cagey draw with the likes of Peterhead.

i agree ally has a chance to do what no other manager in our history has had,and change our football philosophy throughout the club.however i think he also realises you cannot play football on these 3rd div grounds after september,as they become nothing better than public parks.so he will play differently away from home this season, hence players like kevin kyle