A wee problem...

Wee CJ

....I know this may not be a nice topic but i have to have some advice...

..I have found out one of my friends has been self harming.I saw her arm on the bus and i was sick actually physically and mentally sick.I cried for 3 hours straight going up and 4 hours straight coming back down the road.

Should I tell someone before it gets out of hand or leave it untill it settles but i dont know if it will?

My mates and I are really upset. :(

Definitely tell someone. Self-harming is not something that people can just stop so it will be very important that your friend gets the right advice and information.

I would also suggest that a parent may not be the place to start, probably a teacher or doctor (if you know one well) would be the best bet as they can get your friend, her parents/guardians the support and help they will need.

Don't worry too much wee cj, there are experts in this who will help, don't feel responsible yourself, its a big burden to try to carry.

....I know this may not be a nice topic but i have to have some advice...

..I have found out one of my friends has been self harming.I saw her arm on the bus and i was sick actually physically and mentally sick.I cried for 3 hours straight going up and 4 hours straight coming back down the road.

Should I tell someone before it gets out of hand or leave it untill it settles but i dont know if it will?

My mates and I are really upset. :(

Self Harming is a serious mental illness. You've done the right thing by posting this as choosing what to do alone is very hard.

The first step is to talk to her - without forcing her, try and make her feel like you care and want to help her, but don't go over the top. Gently say you saw what she did and that you wanna help her if you can.

However, you may feel ill at ease with this; and if so, you MUST consult someone professional - simply your GP to start with. At your/her age, this is a disease and it has to be treated.

I was in the same situation with a friend from college... I felt there wasn't much I could do as she was over 18... and she stopped anyway...

But she got into a really low patch and started again... I tried to talk to her, and tell her I was worried as she could make herself ill, and tried to make her see she could get an infection...

She wouldn't stop, so I went and saw the college guidance tutor for help, and she was lovely, I explained I didn't want my name being used, but I thought someone with a bit of authority, (for want of a better word) could talk to her... and they did in the strictest confidence and my friend didn't know it was me, until I told her myself in my own time after everything had calmed down, and she thanked me for it.

Try talking to a nice teacher (if there is such thing) it's their job to help you and your friend.... If they do nothing, then go to your head teacher. I know that can be really scary... But they will do something to help you and your friend....

If you ever wanna talk.. you know where I am :)

I was in the same situation with a friend from college... I felt there wasn't much I could do as she was over 18... and she stopped anyway...

But she got into a really low patch and started again... I tried to talk to her, and tell her I was worried as she could make herself ill, and tried to make her see she could get an infection...

She wouldn't stop, so I went and saw the college guidance tutor for help, and she was lovely, I explained I didn't want my name being used, but I thought someone with a bit of authority, (for want of a better word) could talk to her... and they did in the strictest confidence and my friend didn't know it was me, until I told her myself in my own time after everything had calmed down, and she thanked me for it.

Try talking to a nice teacher (if there is such thing) it's their job to help you and your friend.... If they do nothing, then go to your head teacher. I know that can be really scary... But they will do something to help you and your friend....

If you ever wanna talk.. you know where I am :)

Thanks Nat :D

Its just that i am so worried about her and iwas in a state yesterday.Was basiclly crying since i saw it :(

But Im gonna use my ability to tell someone and hopefully that will sort it :)

Thanks for your help everyone it mean so much to me :D (smooch)

I agree with Danny - try and talk to her alone first.

It can be quite serious though.

One of my cousins used to do it. He didn't really talk to anyone so I hadn't heard from him in 2 years, but I actually saw pictures of him on the internet! Some of it was pretty bad :o

No idea what he's like these days.

Thanks Nat :D

Its just that i am so worried about her and iwas in a state yesterday.Was basiclly crying since i saw it :(

But Im gonna use my ability to tell someone and hopefully that will sort it :)

Thanks for your help everyone it mean so much to me :D (smooch)

no probs chick.. anytime <kizz>