If Craig Levein was Rangers manager

Brock

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are lots of arguments, just because you don't agree with them doesn't mean they don't exist.

Labelling a huge section of the support as blindly loyal, intimating that they are too stupid to see what you can see so clearly is just offensive and not a little arrogant.

I never called anyone stupid, people are just letting their hearts rule their heads and it needs to stop for the good of the team.

Tactics, coaching & signings are the 3 areas I think are most important - is there ANY argument that these areas show signs of being a success under Ally?

I never called anyone stupid, people are just letting their hearts rule their heads and it needs to stop for the good of the team.

Tactics, coaching & signings are the 3 areas I think are most important - is there ANY argument that these areas show signs of being a success under Ally?

I don't think we are in a position to judge signing,

2011 - he couldn't get the players he wanted (Goodwillie, Juhasz, etc)

2012 January - all trialists and freebies

2012 August - late dash to get numbers to fill gaps.

With that being the case, it is hard to even start judging how the tactics work for sure. Ditto for coaching, it takes longer than 7/8 months to see an impact.

Do you not think 'hearts ruling heads' implies we are mentally deficient?

Genuinely, I would say that it needs to be around 6 months after a proper transfer window. That will allow him to have had the opportunity to bring in players with being forced to either rush things or shop in the free transfer market, and then also give those new players some time to adjust to playing for us.

I realise that the end of next season isn't going to be popular with a lot of people who want far quicker results, but it is probably the first time I would feel it was fair to do so.

Edit: that would be to judge him, I would question him constantly for decisions he makes and selections/tactics, etc

That's fair enough mate and alot of posters who I have posed the same question believe the same as yourself! I do understand the logic behind it but from my point of view I am looking at it in the sense he signed quite alot of players (maybe not first choice) and he has worked with them day in and day out for nearly a year yet I see very little improvement....is there any guarantee either we will get our first choice targets in the next window or that they will prosper at rangers under ally (black, sheils etc seem not to have)....

Depending on reconstruction that year you have afforded ally could be the last season before we go back into the old firm...win at all cost environment and I would have concerns over both our progress as a team in terms of philosophy, structure etc and the financial strain we would need to put ourselves under to compete again with Celtic. Many of our younger players progress will be stunted playing in the manner we have this year and the lack of continuity (new team being built) restricts the room for progression.

I hope I'm wrong and as I say I am content (not nesecarily happy) to give ally time, not because I have seen great tactical or developmental qualities but purely because of who he is and what he's done going back to the op!

I don't think we are in a position to judge signing,

2011 - he couldn't get the players he wanted (Goodwillie, Juhasz, etc)

2012 January - all trialists and freebies

2012 August - late dash to get numbers to fill gaps.

With that being the case, it is hard to even start judging how the tactics work for sure. Ditto for coaching, it takes longer than 7/8 months to see an impact.

Do you not think 'hearts ruling heads' implies we are mentally deficient?

Nope, just misguided.

His signings have been SPL players for the 3rd division and they have been rubbish.

We have got steadily worse as the season has gone on, good coaching would make them better not worse.

Tactics are long ball after long ball with no invention.

If this was the SPL I would not feel as angry and disapointed but I think people forget what division we are playing and the level of players we are up against.

That's fair enough mate and alot of posters who I have posed the same question believe the same as yourself! I do understand the logic behind it but from my point of view I am looking at it in the sense he signed quite alot of players (maybe not first choice) and he has worked with them day in and day out for nearly a year yet I see very little improvement....is there any guarantee either we will get our first choice targets in the next window or that they will prosper at rangers under ally (black, sheils etc seem not to have)....

Depending on reconstruction that year you have afforded ally could be the last season before we go back into the old firm...win at all cost environment and I would have concerns over both our progress as a team in terms of philosophy, structure etc and the financial strain we would need to put ourselves under to compete again with Celtic. Many of our younger players progress will be stunted playing in the manner we have this year and the lack of continuity (new team being built) restricts the room for progression.

I hope I'm wrong and as I say I am content (not nesecarily happy) to give ally time, not because I have seen great tactical or developmental qualities but purely because of who he is and what he's done going back to the op!

Case and point.

I understand the concerns and the points, but do think that there needs to be proper time.... I also understand why others are not as comfortable with that.

Nope, just misguided.

His signings have been SPL players for the 3rd division and they have been rubbish.

We have got steadily worse as the season has gone on, good coaching would make them better not worse.

Tactics are long ball after long ball with no invention.

If this was the SPL I would not feel as angry and disapointed but I think people forget what division we are playing and the level of players we are up against.

I don't agree that we have got steadily worse. First couple of months we weren't even top of the table. We went through an excellent run of wins, and it has tailed off as the title has been won. Not saying it is great , or even good enough for the money, but it is what it is.

Just dont understand why we keep getting threads all aimed at having a pop at Ally over & over again what has he done so wrong he stuck around help save our club put hes own money in & done what he set out to do win this league do not understand why the anger & hate towards him by the same posters ? beats me Trust in Ally :mccoist:

Just dont understand why we keep getting threads all aimed at having a pop at Ally over & over again what has he done so wrong he stuck around help save our club put hes own money in & done what he set out to do win this league do not understand why the anger & hate towards him by the same posters ? beats me Trust in Ally :mccoist:

To be honest with you I have seen no anger or "hate" towards ally....yes there are a number of posters, including myself who seriously question the progress we have made under ally and his attributes as a manager however that is very different to what you have described. The idea that he "stayed around" and his general conduct and role throughout our troubles added to his legendary player status has given him more leeway justifiably but that can't last forever!

Levein would be 2nd in the 3rd div. at best. the IF he was in the same position is a bigger if than you think.

Levein is USELESS. Infact, he's WORSE than useless he's dangerous. If he was in charge our club would be disgraced.

McCoist is 1st in the only league he's allowed to play in. he can't do any better than that. A couple of losses, SO WHAT? it's going to happen.

This is a question directed at the Blind Loyalty Brigade.

If Craig Levein had taken over 2 years ago instead of McCoist and had proceeded to manage the club in the way McCoist has, would you still be backing him right now?

I think an honest answer would be no and if no then can you expand on your reasons for that?

Loaded question but here is a loaded question back. If N Lennon became the manager of Rangers and we were not put in the 3rd, would you back him? This question has the same validity as you'rs.

To answer your question Levein would not have been able to manage the club the way McCoist has; he would have walked away.