Help from Shettleston Bears

Sweetheart

I am looking into the family history of my husband and it turns out his granddad (John Wilson) was a professional footballer. I’m looking to obtain his football stats and a photo, but not quite sure how to go about it, wondered if any bears could help or knew of him through family members.

What I know so far from family is that, he was born in Portadown Northern Ireland 1905, He moved to Scotland as a young boy to live with family. He married Elizabeth Rhymer, whose family were high ranking Orange Lodge members. He lived in Shettleston and drank in The Drum.

He was known as ‘Tank’ Wilson, to the community. One of the family stories is that Manchester United scouts went to his house and his wife sent them to The Drum where he was drinking, they asked him did he want a drink and he said ‘a pint of heavy and a whisky chaser’ the scouts bought him the drinks and left but he was not signed due to a MU drinking policy.

His football career ended when a team mate accidentally broke his leg in a bad tackle, after this he went to work on the docks. He died in the 1970’s after having several heart attacks.

My husband remembers people telling him what a good player he was, when he was a young boy. I would love to frame his granddads’ stats and a photo for him. Thanx.

This would have been a job for the late great Bob Crampsey. Don't know if there's anyone left with his breadth of knowledge of Scottish football history. Good luck with your search, hope someone comes up with something for you.

Who did he play for?

Three of the teams the family believe he played for are Stranraer, Vale of Leven, and Arbroath, but there is no certainty that this is correct. Not knowing the age he started playing football is making the search more difficult.

Have you tried contacting the clubs you think he may have played for? They may not have immediate access to all records but will almost certainly know of an old Statto/historian/lifelong fan they can point you towards.

Have you tried contacting the clubs you think he may have played for? They may not have immediate access to all records but will almost certainly know of an old Statto/historian/lifelong fan they can point you towards.

Yep, Stranraer said they remember a player named 'Tank Wilson' but they had lost all records in a fire,so couldn't check. The others didn't keep pre-war records.

Yep, Stranraer said they remember a player named 'Tank Wilson' but they had lost all records in a fire,so couldn't check. The others didn't keep pre-war records.

You could try the archives of the local papers in the towns where you think he played.

A big thank you to The Gallent Pioneers, Cstamomusa and The_Blue-Flash for all the information, Absolutely over the moon with it. Will update the thread tomorrow once I've had chance to go through it all, so that everyone that helped knows the end of the story :D

They may not have immediate access to all records but will almost certainly know of an old Statto/historian/lifelong fan they can point you towards.

you're very polite

most people just call them obsessive anorak types

good luck with it all tho (tu)

keep us posted