Greatest ever Rangers players

Muirheadbear

I started replying to the other post currently on the forum about this and who should be on the subs bench etc. then decided to start a new thread on this.

I have never been comfortable with the concept of the best ever Rangers 11. Now don't get me wrong, those Bears from Goram to Cooper who were voted are all worthy candidates and true Rangers legends. However was Goram better than Dawson? Was Gough better than Meiklejohn? Was Ally better than McPhail? Alas too many of our fathers, grandfathers and great grandfathers are no longer around to engage in a great debate about this. That of course is no one's fault. Guys like Morton, Waddell, Caldow ( and even Vallance) were less likely to canvas as many votes as Laudrup, Jardine or Hateley.

Not long after that vote and 'creation' of the greatest ever Ranger and team was made I wrote a letter to David Mason (unfortunately it was never acknowledged) making the above point.

So I'll make it again on this forum this time and hopefully someone, somewhere who turns the wheels at Ibrox may consider it. Especially now that our history gets questioned at every turn from every sewer rhat who jealously claims otherwise.

Why don't we honour these great bears of the past who were unable to gather enough votes with a 5m video montage highlighting their great contribution to our great club and its history? It could be shown before every home game and at half time. Willie Woodburn might not be in our 'dream team' but I bet there are a few older bears who swear he should have been! Some others will spout Willie Thornton, Jimmy Millar and Tommy Muirhead as real candidates, but no matter. Lets just honours these bears and teach the younger elements of our support about the great players and legends who gave our forefathers their own great Rangers 11!!! I know some of the names above and many, many more richly deserve it!

Over to you Mr Mason or whoever.

Just a team from more or less my era except for George Young whose ability I'm working on reputation.

Andy Goram

Kai Johansen

Richard Gough

George Young

John Greig

Paul Gascoigne

Jim Baxter

Brian Laudrup

Davie Cooper

Ally McCoist

Mark Hateley

Subs:

Chris Woods

Sandy Jardine

Terry Butcher

Iain Ferguson

Willie Henderson

Colin Stein

Ronald de Boer

Just a team from more or less my era except for George Young whose ability I'm working on reputation.

Andy Goram

Kai Johansen

Richard Gough

George Young

John Greig

Paul Gascoigne

Jim Baxter

Brian Laudrup

Davie Cooper

Ally McCoist

Mark Hateley

Subs:

Chris Woods

Sandy Jardine

Terry Butcher

Iain Ferguson

Willie Henderson

Colin Stein

Ronald de Boer

I recognise your username mate, did you have same id on FF and got banned off there a while back?

Goram, Laudrup, and Gazza. Those are the greatest 3 players I have ever seen wear the jersey. The things these guys use to do would astound the younger spectator. There was points when I thought to myself Goram couldn't be beaten, it was impossible. Gazza running over half the length of the park past 6-7 players and placing it in the net was unreal and he did it several times. I seen 4-5 guys around Gazza and they still couldn't get the fucking ball! Somehow he would emerge from the scrum with the ball at his feet and the opposition bewildered. We were spoiled to have such great players and experience 9-IN-A-ROW all at the same time.

Have been a regular at Ibrox since 1980 and in that time have been lucky to see many great players .Always difficult to compare goalies, defenders,midfielders and forwards,but for me Paul Gascoigne is the best player i've seen for GERS .Always seemed to take the right option and could win a match on his own,but for me the thing that separates him from anyone else is his finishing. He would run length of pitch then pass the ball into the net ,and when a square ball was on in front of goal he'd always give it .Lauders and Coop come closest to Gazza.

I think even the subs bench confirms the concept of an all time Rangers eleven.

Either way it's time to honour these great men from the past.

Think it's time we had an American style 'Rangers Hall of Fame'. A place where all our legends could be honored, where memorabilia could be displayed and using technology where video clips could be played on demand.