Labour to repeal SNP fascist football law

Yes, I know what 'some' means. I highlighted it because it read like a patronising sly jibe.

It's not ridiculous at all. Anyone who has ever had any experience of the Glasgow political scene will tell you that Celtic fans are far more visible in the Glasgow labour movement. That's not just because of a willingness to be more vocal - Celtic fans might be more willing to make more of their footballing affiliation and shout from the rooftops about it, but there seems just to be more of them in Glasgow Labour too. It's not just a situation where if only Rangers fans and those of a Unionist/loyalist mentality stood up for themselves and were more vocal things would be radically different, although I agree that Rangers fans as a collective should be far, far more organised than we are.

The word 'some' is a patronising sly jibe? deary me.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It certainly has been a while since there was such a bad law. Every other party in Holyrood said this would happen but the SNP railroaded it. The only other thing I can think of is removing corroboration. No sheriff or judge or defence lawyer wants this but Kenny MacAskill again does not want to listen.

The rest of the civilised world doesn't want corroboration, if they did they'd have it. I can think of 100 more important things in life than a bill about offensive behaviour at a football match.

Yeah, it was the police who demanded action be taken before the politicians stepped in. The Police Federation were the first to demand an end to the 'old firm madness'. It was Stephen House who requested that the FM take action on it.

I made no reference to the west of scotland. None whatsoever.

How technically? He was elected on a labour ticket. ReEmains classed as a Labour MP (have a look at sky news, you might just see his name prefixed with the terms 'Labour MP' on the breaking news bar at the bottom despite the fact he was removed from the party 2 years ago.

The relevance of the background is the claim that there is a bias towards celtic fans within certain parties despite the fact that these people all come from a variety of backgrounds. Not all are celtic leaning.Many are protestant, unionist and in some cases members of institutions like the Orange Order. Now are you trying to tell my that these guys are biased againt protestants or Rangers fans? Or should I vote against them because an MP somehwere that has no relevance to me is?

I wouldn't wish to sway how you vote that is between you and your conscience and I certainly didn't suggest anything of your local representatives. That I doubt I would know them if I passed them in the street suggests their personal stance hasn't received much coverage.

You are the one who mentioned areas so I naturally assumed you had noted my location I was merely offering that my opinion has nothing to do with my location.

Again you don't seem to have comprehended what I said but that seems to be the common theme with your replies . If I remember rightly the Police weren't concerned about sectarianism but the potential for violence as a result of fans being 'offended' by others and being unable to express this without resorting to violence. I doubt the 'action' the Police wanted was such an appalling piece of legislation, did they draft it or was it a politician? There is also the fact that politicians have claimed the sectarian 'problem' for a far longer period than the one you mention.

I wouldn't wish to sway how you vote that is between you and your conscience and I certainly didn't suggest anything of your local representatives. That I doubt I would know them if I passed them in the street suggests their personal stance hasn't received much coverage.

You are the one who mentioned areas so I naturally assumed you had noted my location I was merely offering that my opinion has nothing to do with my location.

Again you don't seem to have comprehended what I said but that seems to be the common theme with your replies . If I remember rightly the Police weren't concerned about sectarianism but the potential for violence as a result of fans being 'offended' by others and being unable to express this without resorting to violence. I doubt the 'action' the Police wanted was such an appalling piece of legislation, did they draft it or was it a politician? There is also the fact that politicians have claimed the sectarian 'problem' for a far longer period than the one you mention.

After Jack McConnels updated Criminal Justice (Scotland) Act in 2003 the myth of sectarianism had pretty much disappeared. Then we had that cup replay and the ridiculous laws followed. The police were doing anything they could to make it look as though the cuts to their budget were going to cause a serious issue.

You've never heard of Eric Joyce? Most people have. If not for being the most expensive MP in the country then punching a couple tories in the Commons bar or his affair with a teenage party member.

After Jack McConnels updated Criminal Justice (Scotland) Act in 2003 the myth of sectarianism had pretty much disappeared. Then we had that cup replay and the ridiculous laws followed. The police were doing anything they could to make it look as though the cuts to their budget were going to cause a serious issue.

You've never heard of Eric Joyce? Most people have. If not for being the most expensive MP in the country then punching a couple tories in the Commons bar or his affair with a teenage party member.

Not knowing your location I had no idea who your MP was. Seems its not his political opinions that he makes headlines for! He's at it again by the way and being called a 'former' labour politician!

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otland-26683975

I know the Police used the 'domestic abuse' angle amongst others but I'm sure they didn't expect this nonsense of a law to be the end game. If you believe that the sectarianism claims had died out then I guess you must really have been living in LA (I know you don't).

The answer to this dilemma as the VB initiative seems to have ground to a halt due to apathy, would surely be for the DUP to extend into Scotland. As far as I am aware, there is nothing to stop them and I for one would surely give them my vote. Perhaps the VB with their connections could get this going?

Rangers, my team not my project.

Not knowing your location I had no idea who your MP was. Seems its not his political opinions that he makes headlines for! He's at it again by the way and being called a 'former' labour politician!

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otland-26683975

I know the Police used the 'domestic abuse' angle amongst others but I'm sure they didn't expect this nonsense of a law to be the end game. If you believe that the sectarianism claims had died out then I guess you must really have been living in LA (I know you don't).

It hadn't died out completely but it has diminished to massive degree.

The police didn't care what the end result was, as long they fooled the rest into thinking sectarianism was a serious issue. There were 268 charges under the Focus legislation for religiously aggravated crimes in 2012/13. In the same period there were over 4000 charges for racially aggravated crime. Which one was deemed 'scotlands shame'? or more importantly which one does politicians and police want to be seen to be making a stand against?