"Its Rangers For me"

D'Artagnan

Guest orangpendek

bit of perspective required, people. spiers' article on cooper seems to me a perfect example of why he's not really suited to being a football reporter - he can't tell an exceptional talent apart from a reasonable one. it's hardly, however, the lowest of the low. it's just another demonstration of why this person is in the wrong job.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bit of perspective required, people. spiers' article on cooper seems to me a perfect example of why he's not really suited to being a football reporter - he can't tell an exceptional talent apart from a reasonable one. it's hardly, however, the lowest of the low. it's just another demonstration of why this person is in the wrong job.

Agreed.

Also, to follow on from this, I think the majority of Bears fully intend to avoid this book. However, it does us more harm if we don't check up now and again on what the little twat has to say. If he is allowed to go unchallenged over his ridiculous statements and normally nonsensical articles then it causes more unrest in our ranks and gives our detractors more ammunition.

As far as I am led to believe he lost his Herald job due to his controversial articles or poor reporting style.

I would love to think that it was someone like the (ever vigilant) D'Artagnan who made his exit possible. :pipegreen: :shifty:

However, it does us more harm if we don't check up now and again on what the little twat has to say.

*Goes into bookshop*

*Picks 'Its Rangers For Me?' from shelf*

*Large cappuchino from the Costa Coffee stall in the bookshop*

*Reads book and reports back*

Unfortunately in the process some coffee might get spilt on the book, rendering it unsellable.

I don't like Spiers but some folk get just a bit too worked up about him (he's not worth it). Writing off a whole book about Rangers written by various people or even pulling your chapter from it because Spiers makes a contribution is going too far for me.

I don't like Spiers but some folk get just a bit too worked up about him (he's not worth it). Writing off a whole book about Rangers written by various people or even pulling your chapter from it because Spiers makes a contribution is going too far for me.

Can I say that thankfully you are in the minority going by posts on here and other websites.

Too late I did :harhar:

But seriously IB - I think its worth the boycott on this one - actually the boycott is not necessary - all they need to do is remove SPiers contribution.

Sounds a bit like a sort of censorship which I'd be a bit uncomfortable about.

I respectfully disagree IB

This is a journo.. who due to a personal fall out with SDM... has sought to tarnish and besmirch this club persistently for a no. of years. Having vilified the club and its support in such a concerted manner - it seems absurd that he should either make money or raise his profile by contributing to a book about the club.

Make no mistake IB - Spiers has alienated himself from the vast majority of the Rangers support - who are unwilling to either forget or forgive what he has done.

I respectfully disagree IB

This is a journo.. who due to a personal fall out with SDM... has sought to tarnish and besmirch this club persistently for a no. of years. Having vilified the club and its support in such a concerted manner - it seems absurd that he should either make money or raise his profile by contributing to a book about the club.

Make no mistake IB - Spiers has alienated himself from the vast majority of the Rangers support - who are unwilling to either forget or forgive what he has done.

It would be my guess that the majority of the Rangers support (as opposed to the section of it who post on boards like this one) basically don't give a stuff about him. He has been critical of Rangers on a fair number of occasions but he has also praised Rangers and criticised Celtic at times. Like I said, I don't like him but I think some folk might be taking it a bit too far.

It would be my guess that the majority of the Rangers support (as opposed to the section of it who post on boards like this one) basically don't give a stuff about him. He has been critical of Rangers on a fair number of occasions but he has also praised Rangers and criticised Celtic at times. Like I said, I don't like him but I think some folk might be taking it a bit too far.

You better add to that list member of the RST - and many of the various supporters clubs - believe me IB I think you would be surprised by the number.

Where's the censorship?

An over the top comparison, but would it be censorship for Jewish people to refuse to buy a book on Jewish Culture with a chapter by Hitler?

Where's the censorship?

An over the top comparison, but would it be censorship for Jewish people to refuse to buy a book on Jewish Culture with a chapter by Hitler?

Sounds rather like you're the one making the over-the-top comparison. I was talking about trying to get a chapter removed from a book.

Sounds rather like you're the one making the over-the-top comparison. I was talking about trying to get a chapter removed from a book.

I think IB you will find Manticore is admitting its perhaps an over the top comparison - but its an apporpriate analogy in my opinion.

You better add to that list member of the RST - and many of the various supporters clubs - believe me IB I think you would be surprised by the number.

I don't think so but I'm not going to argue back and forth about this at length. I think I've made my opinion clear enough.

I think IB you will find Manticore is admitting its perhaps an over the top comparison - but its an apporpriate analogy in my opinion.

Maybe he was (and comparisons with Hitler are almost always absurd) but trying to get a chapter removed from a book is censorship. There's no getting away from it.

Maybe he was (and comparisons with Hitler are almost always absurd) but trying to get a chapter removed from a book is censorship. There's no getting away from it.

Surely only the publishers can exercise the right of censorship.

Its a boycott - pure and simple.

I don't think so but I'm not going to argue back and forth about this at length. I think I've made my opinion clear enough.

It was great enough to ensure Spiers' removal from the lucrative Chief Sportswriter position at 'The Herald'.

I do note since his departure it's circulation has increased while almost every other broadsheet falls - including the Scottish version of the Times interestingly enough.

Also, when you talk about censorship and 'absurd' similes about the German war effort, what's your thoughts on a Scottish broadsheet newspaper having an embargo on letters from Rangers fans for 3 years and the Rangers support being compared to Nuremberg rallies?

EDIT:

PS: May I also say over 3000 people at the last 3 Rangers AGMs have also voiced their displeasure at the media problems we face. Not all of them post online and while I'm also pretty sure the majority are arguably apathetic to liars and charlatans like Spiers, there are also more than the few thousand online fans who are aware of his continual lies and bias over the years.

Only the publishers can exercise their rights in that regard.

Personally I am not trying to get the chapter removed.

Just saying I would buy it if said chapter were not included.

If you think that's censorship then fine. I think it is me exercising my rights as a consumer.

In my opinion it would only be censorship if the writer had no other outlets for his opinion.

Am I being censored because my view is not included?

Did I say any of that? Of course you will apologize right?

Yeah, right!

No, whats funny is that you and others have painted this guy as the anti christ and have him as the most anti Rangers or Pro-Celtic guy out there and yet - it seems he is a Gers fan too after all!

Yeah, too right I am laughing at that

Bauba, I think its well known that Speirs claims to be a Rangers man. He also claims to attend a Protestant church regularly.

D'art talked some weeks ago about elements of our support who are 'self-loathing' and don't miss an opportunity to have a go at their own or to apologise for any imagined fault.

I think Speirs falls right into that category and I certainly won't be buying this book. Speirs is free to spout whatever nonsense he likes about sectarianism (he's certainly a weak writer on football matters) but I am also free to refuse to subsidise his attacks on the club I support and the fans I belong to.

Just saw this post mate. We could debate if its censorship if it is not an authority who removes it but I think that's away from the point.

Personally, I think fans objecting to Speirs involvement is about raising standards, not hiding from facts or other viewpoints. If the editor wants to have a book which contains a critical approach to the club and what is happening there, rather than just 12 chapters of "Rangers are wonderful", then the person chosen should be someone with a track record of objective, honest journalism.

Just saw this post mate. We could debate if its censorship if it is not an authority who removes it but I think that's away from the point.

Personally, I think fans objecting to Speirs involvement is about raising standards, not hiding from facts or other viewpoints. If the editor wants to have a book which contains a critical approach to the club and what is happening there, rather than just 12 chapters of "Rangers are wonderful", then the person chosen should be someone with a track record of objective, honest journalism.

Absolutely spot on CG.

the person chosen should be someone with a track record of objective, honest journalism.

Which rules out the Botanical Tooth Fairy.

Of course his people (actually I suspect it's just him) have tried to rubbish the objections, claiming we will not debate/ confront the issues.

An idiotic arguement for anybody watching RM and/ or FF.

The fact is he has put himself into such an anti Rangers/ Rangers fans position that he can not be seen as part of our debate about our culture.

Fact is this book is dead. Its target audience has told the publishers to gtf.