If Barry Ferguson is over rated...

Danny

It's incredibly trivial, but I wanted to post it anyway.

I hear a lot of comment about how Ferguson is over rated, especially by the 'haters' who would rather he upped sticks and left Ibrox. Some say he's merely good and not great/world class and suggest that fans in England etc laugh at the notion of him as anything other than an ok player, and that he's nowhere near one of the best in Britain.

So, it begs the question; why the hell is he so highly rated in video games?

I know it's really silly, but video games are compiled with the assistance of football connoiseurs who rate these players - after all, companies like EA and Konami employ games makers and not football professionals to actually make the game - how the hell is a geeky game coder going to know how good Barry Ferguson or Frank Lampard is?

And yet, when you look at how highly Ferguson is rated in these games, it suggests he is an extremely highly rated footballer outside of just the Rangers fans who support him.

Gentlemen, over to you :)

Actually, people like Champ Mngr & Football Mngr use companies like Opta to provide them with statistics for players the world over. Now Opta is an independant company with noaxe to grind, the work purely on facts & stats ... if they tell a story, then it is usually the correct one.

Bert Konterman was highly rated in Championship Manager.

Point taken, but I can't recall a single football game I've played where Ferguson was rated lowly or even average.

Actually, people like Champ Mngr & Football Mngr use companies like Opta to provide them with statistics for players the world over. Now Opta is an independant company with noaxe to grind, the work purely on facts & stats ... if they tell a story, then it is usually the correct one.

I was actually thinking more along the lines of the FIFAs and Pro Evos, but I take on board what you're saying.

Sebo scores goals in FM

Chris Burke is good

Neil Lennon has great stats

Zlatan Ibrahimovic is the best player in the game

Freedy Adu was awesome at 14, But gets worse every year

Mark Kerr, Martin Lauchan, Lee Wilkie, Alan Archibald, Kenny Arthur and others were well good in previous games.

Kris Boyd is fit

David Murray sells the club

All major flaws in the game and there are many more

wouldnt trust your fifa/pro evs, spec pro ev... fifa made henry poor because he was on the cover of pro ev. pro ev made adriano a beast because hes on the cover of their game. :P althoug barry is a dif story and will not appear on any ;)

Barry Ferguson when fully fit and on form is a tremendous player. He has been injured a lot in recent years and that good form has been diluted somewhat at times. He is a moaner but that is his personality.

Overall an really good player, but just a shade off the top tier IMO.

Jesus H Christ - we're using computer games to determine a player's quality now... :D

It may be of interest to this debate that I was the Rangers researcher for Championship Manager/Football Manager series for around 4 years. As such, any research that went into these games (considered the best football simulations out there in terms of the quality of the research) was purely subjective.

I did have a website that allowed other Rangers fans the chance to contribute but for the most part the whole game was based on individual researcher's opinions edited (if necessary) by the Head Researcher for each league/country. As such, although the general quality of the research was usually very high, not every part of it was always accurate or objective.

Barry Ferguson is a player of a high standard - I rated him as such. But I also realised his limitations though and the game took into account what league he played in and that helped ensure his ability (while being high for a SPL player) wasn't in the same league as those midfielders performing consistently well in better European leagues for better teams.

The same is arguably true for real life. Not many people doubt Ferguson's credentials. Over the years he's been a fine player for Rangers, had some great games for Scotland and also did well at Blackburn when free from injury. However, it's very difficult to judge his place amongst the elite because, quite simply, he's not competed with them often enough.

LMAO...I've seen it all now...this from the guy who said the fact that other clubs are not banging down our door to get the 'second best midfield player in Britain' is not evidence of his ability and how how is seen in the world of football. Quality.

LMAO...I've seen it all now...this from the guy who said the fact that other clubs are not banging down our door to get the 'second best midfield player in Britain' is not evidence of his ability and how how is seen in the world of football. Quality.

Why didn't you address the post though rather than picking holes in my argument, which, btw, was slightly engineered to address the point you originally made. Personally I disagree that it matters (hence the apparent hypocrisy)- I don't recall many English clubs banging down either of the OF's doors for Larsson or Laudrup.

;)

It's incredibly trivial, but I wanted to post it anyway.

I hear a lot of comment about how Ferguson is over rated, especially by the 'haters' who would rather he upped sticks and left Ibrox. Some say he's merely good and not great/world class and suggest that fans in England etc laugh at the notion of him as anything other than an ok player, and that he's nowhere near one of the best in Britain.

I know it's really silly, but video games are compiled with the assistance of football connoiseurs who rate these players - after all, companies like EA and Konami employ games makers and not football professionals to actually make the game - how the hell is a geeky game coder going to know how good Barry Ferguson or Frank Lampard is?

And yet, when you look at how highly Ferguson is rated in these games, it suggests he is an extremely highly rated footballer outside of just the Rangers fans who support him.

Gentlemen, over to you :)

No comment :lol:

Why didn't you address the post though rather than picking holes in my argument, which, btw, was slightly engineered to address the point you originally made. Personally I disagree that it matters (hence the apparent hypocrisy)- I don't recall many English clubs banging down either of the OF's doors for Larsson or Laudrup.

;)

Well Chelsea took Laudrup and Man Utd were happy to take Larsson on loan when available. When Bawwy left for better things it was the mighty Blackburn, with Souness in charge, that took him. He did OK there...no more. Ask any Blackburn fan. Good player...no great. Still...if he's so highly rated in Championship Manager...who am I to argue?

I think these are correct

When barry was with Blackburn

Played.. 36 games

Motm.. 11 times

Goals 2

and also he had that career threatening injury.

Over Rated?

He was simply exceptional after a poor start. But some folks' opinions will never change.

I think these are correct

When barry was with Blackburn

Played.. 36 games

Motm.. 11 times

Goals 2

and also he had that career threatening injury.

Over Rated?

He was simply exceptional after a poor start. But some folks' opinions will never change.

Sadly that's true. They get an opinion and no matter what it never chenges because they can remember when this happened or that happened. or blah blah blah

When we first signed JCD everyone was saying he was rubbish because he didn't do well for forest. It didn't seem to matter that he was 19 at the time and lost his family. He played poor. Therefore 12 years later he isn't any better.

Sorry Danny, that went of the point there but I thought I should say it (tu)

So he's great in computer games.

Do they factor in having a Captain who ignores his Manager?

They rated Lennon at 3/100 because he lied to his.

Jesus H Christ - we're using computer games to determine a player's quality now... :D

It may be of interest to this debate that I was the Rangers researcher for Championship Manager/Football Manager series for around 4 years. As such, any research that went into these games (considered the best football simulations out there in terms of the quality of the research) was purely subjective.

I did have a website that allowed other Rangers fans the chance to contribute but for the most part the whole game was based on individual researcher's opinions edited (if necessary) by the Head Researcher for each league/country. As such, although the general quality of the research was usually very high, not every part of it was always accurate or objective.

Barry Ferguson is a player of a high standard - I rated him as such. But I also realised his limitations though and the game took into account what league he played in and that helped ensure his ability (while being high for a SPL player) wasn't in the same league as those midfielders performing consistently well in better European leagues for better teams.

The same is arguably true for real life. Not many people doubt Ferguson's credentials. Over the years he's been a fine player for Rangers, had some great games for Scotland and also did well at Blackburn when free from injury. However, it's very difficult to judge his place amongst the elite because, quite simply, he's not competed with them often enough.

Haha, thats quality Frankie. How did you manage to land a job like that? through the RST?

I played the Champ Manager so much for so many years that I just cann't be doing with them just now but always wondered exactly where the individual rating came from.

This is ridiculous. I do not rate Barry Ferguson World Class.

That doesn't mean I do no rate him at all, he is one of our best players at the moment. Whether he should be captain or not is another matter, however I just cannot see him playing in the same team as Henry, Kaka, Terry, Gerrard, C. Ronaldo or Totti.

To say he can play for a team amongst players like that is mental really.

I think the term "World Class" is being thrown around just as much as the word "Legend".