Bernard Tapie 'totally Ruined' Over Court Ruling

cushynumber

A businessman ordered to repay €404m (£209m) after losing a 20-year legal battle with the French state says he faces financial ruin.

Bernard Tapie, 72, brought the case over financial advice he received in 1992 from state-controlled bank Credit Lyonnais over the sale of Adidas.

The French tycoon launched a €1.2bn (£860m) claim for compensation after insisting he was tricked by the bank into selling the sportswear firm for less than it was worth.

But after losing his claim it was ruled he must hand over an earlier cash settlement he received in 2008 after that judgement was overturned. He was also ordered to pay interest on the debt and the legal costs of the case.

"I am ruined, totally ruined," Mr Tapie told French newspaper Le Monde. "But I know myself. This will not last long. If they want war, that's what they'll have.

"I am knocked out, I am very unhappy. I have not slept for a week as I expected this decision."

Mr Tapie suggested the ruling would force him into personal liquidation and he would have to sell all his posessions, including a luxury home in Paris he has owned for 28 years.

Another residence in Saint Tropez has already been seized by the French authorities and will likely be sold to pay off the debt.

It was the final chapter in a long-running legal battle involving the flamboyant businessman whose career has taken him from owner of Marseille football club to media investor and Government minister.

His lawyer Emmanuel Gaillard said his client would launch a final appeal in France's highest court.

However, legal experts say such an appeal would not spare him the obligation in the meantime to honour the repayment ruling.

This is this guy just to jog the memory:

UEFA subsequently denied Marseille the opportunity to defend their European Cup title although their European Cup win still stood as there was no proof that any European Cup games had been affected. However, following their 6-0 win over CSKA Moscow in the final group stage, there were allegations by the CSKA coach, later withdrawn, that his players had been bribed and had their drinks spiked. In 2011, Rangers striker Mark Hateley claimed that, following the first game against Marseille when he had scored a late equaliser, he had received a telephone call saying that it would be 'financially rewarding' for him not to play in the return match in France. Hateley was controverailly sent off in Rangers game against Bruges which meant that he was suspended for the Marseilles match. The final game in the group which saw Marseilles beat Bruges 1-0 and qualify for the final formed part of the French prosecution of Tapie.

I remember back in the day watching the highlights on saint n greavsie on the Saturday,cska were awful,the goalie was even diving the wrong way,thought to myself this is rigged took about a year for the allegations to crop up,Marseille were at it alright

And this bastard gets all he deserves

To this day I detest those cheating French bastards.

They should have been kicked out of football and Milan handed the trophy.

But we had it in our sights, that team were unbeatable and I would have fancied our chances against a under performing Milan

48 games undefeated from August till March says it all.

Hope the cunts left penniless and his familys inheritance all gone but I very much doubt it