A potential stumbling block in the not so distant future

PromDeAnglais

2 minutes ago, ZZed said:

Some supporter of other clubs may have decided they don't like Tims and thus they like us.:pipe:

I used to work with a Geordie who claimed to be a Tim just because our boss was a Rangers fan. Always thought of him as a bit of a dick for being like that. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Oh we hate Bill Shankly
And we hate St John
But most of all we hate Big Ron
And we'll hang the Kopites one by one
On the banks of the Royal Blue Mersey 

So to hell with Liverpool and Rangers too
We'll throw them all in the Mersey
And we'll fight fight fight
With all our might
For the lads in the Royal Blue Jersey"

Fuck Everton.

We will only be able to judge whether a Plan B needs to be implemented either, after we have strengthened our defence upon promotion to the SPL or, after a few abysmal defensive fuck ups in the first few games,imo.

Oh, ps, I believe MW and DW will be aware of the frailties in the team at the moment and will have prepared to deal with such in preparation to our re-entry into the top league. Their attention to detail,so far, has me in no fear of our immediate future.

1 hour ago, Willis said:

Fuck Everton and fuck this gloryhunting "I must support an English team" pish.

See if the same man (Grandad) took me to both Ibrox and Maine Road and I have been following both since I was 5 years old - Rangers 1st game.. and 10 years old Man City 1st game can I pass your stringent "glory hunting pish" test..??...The OP makes a few decent points but it's all guess work. The OP will be gutted on wednesday night though..City to win 3-0...

new phone pics 530.jpg

Just now, TEFTONG said:

See if the same man (Grandad) took me to both Ibrox and Maine Road and I have been following both since I was 5 years old - Rangers 1st game.. and 10 years old Man City 1st game can I pass your stringent "glory hunting pish" test..??...The OP makes a few decent points but it's all guess work. The OP will be gutted on wednesday night though..City to win 3-0...

new phone pics 530.jpg

I said in this thread that if people have an actual conneciton like a family connection thats fine. I just dont get when people choose an English team they have no connection to.

I quite like Man City myself, I have a man city badge on my fridge :) but wouldnt say I supported them or feel any emotion when they win or lose.  Someone choosing a team doesnt have the same connection to that team as you for Man City for example.

42 minutes ago, Willis said:

Aye if someone said to me "I support Rangers because I hate celtic" id think they were a bit of a knob.

Thats similar to the problem in Northern Ireland, during the marching season the Rangers tops come out - then the rest of the year, both sides support their national team, Man Fucking U.

41 minutes ago, Bristoe1872 said:

"Oh we hate Bill Shankly
And we hate St John

With all our might

Fuck Everton.

And Liverpool, they cant talk properly either.

1 minute ago, googglebot said:

Thats similar to the problem in Northern Ireland, during the marching season the Rangers tops come out - then the rest of the year, both sides support their national team, Man Fucking U.

Its probably the same here, the amount I folk that I know that claim to be big Rangers fans, but every time I offer them a ticket, even for free they never seem to want it. What is it about football teams that make folk who dont even like or watch football think they support them? "Aye i support Rangers but I dont really like football" you dont see folk going "I hate basketball but im a Chicago Bulls man"

50 minutes ago, Bristoe1872 said:

"Oh we hate Bill Shankly
And we hate St John

With all our might

Fuck Everton.

Never heard of that before, must be old as it definitely doesn't get sung nowadays. Anyways, that's your opinion and that's mine.

The thread is actually meant to be about Rangers,  not Everton.

2 hours ago, PromDeAnglais said:

Rewind a good few years, fans were growing weary of defensive tactics against teams deemed not much stronger than ours, or even weaker. 4-5-1 in Europe was our way of saying give us all you've got, then we'll counter attack you - with some degree of success but in many instances it backfired against opposition who could be labelled as weaker than us at that point in time.

Fast forward to the more recent past. In comes a manager like a breathe of fresh air: No long balls, ball on the ground, even the keeper and centre backs getting put through rigorous passing exercises. Attacking with flair, slick passing and in numbers. The initial result? Brilliant, everyone is entertained... the pundits and fans alike are lapping up the change in style to fast-tempo, offensive minded football with the majority of results going in favour.

Am I talking about Rangers?

No, my second team Everton.

The transformation under Moyes to Martinez has been incredible on the eye of every Everton fan, from extremely defensive physical teams with the aim of disrupting the opposition as opposed to Martinez's free flowing attacking football that simply aims to score more goals than the opposition.

One major criticism of Martinez (this season mainly) has been Evertons inability to see out a game, the attacking football is still there for all to see, but now fans are growing more and more frustrated with the teams poor defending as Martinez refuses to change to a "Plan B" to defend a lead. As recently as today pundits and fans are saying that if Martinez had a fraction of Moyes defensive tactical know-how, Everton would be on the cusp of Champions League football next season, instead they find themselves closer to relegation.

This has got me thinking, there are a few similarities between the transition in tactics from a Rangers perspective (if you forget about Ally, or at least try), and compare Walter to Warburton.

Obviously, Warburton must be praised for the work he has done thus far, and I'm in no way underlying his work, but I have a slight hesitation about how we got about our return to football in Europe.

Make no mistake, the old firm has over the years punched well above their weight in Europe (not so much recently), but the success of Scottish teams in Europe has always been built on defence rather than offense.

What's your thoughts then? Would you like to see us try the same formation/tactics in Europe as we play now? Or would a more conservative approach from Warburton be required for the European stage?

Do we need a plan B in general? i.e. Old firm games and tougher away days?

Regardless, it's certainly not the worst problem to have and I cannot wait for the day that I hear Champions League anthem ringing around Ibrox again... 

TBH, I think our biggest weakness is that our CD's just aren't the best and with a bit of investment, sorted. No doubt we will also add more depth to the squad overall, including a strong DM and another striker as we enter the top tier.

As for employing a conservative approach, no not for me. That was the domain of Watty and shall forever remain his, which I found cost us in many European nights, particularly when we had players of great quality and a more attacking approach would have been more suitable.

Scotland is completely different from England though. Plan A has worked thus far and it is only going to get better, we are forgetting the fact this system has only been implemented for half a year. It took Barca a good few years to get their system working. Also, Warburton wasn't used to teams parking the bus against us, at Brentford that probably never happened and it probably never happens against Everton either.

24 minutes ago, minstral said:

If you love Rangers you do not need a second team to follow.

Being English I was properly introduced to Rangers by my late wife. Is it ok with you if I support an English team that Jock Wallace (and Stevie Kinniburgh) played for, which also happens to be my home town team? 

Not every season ticket holder is Scottish or of Scottish descent.

21 minutes ago, RFC Eagle said:

Being English I was properly introduced to Rangers by my late wife. Is it ok with you if I support an English team that Jock Wallace (and Stevie Kinniburgh) played for, which also happens to be my home town team? 

Not every season ticket holder is Scottish or of Scottish descent.

You can support any team that you wish to support. For me Rangers and Rangers only, and have no wish to support another team.

• 2 weeks later...

Regards the defensive........................Four Clean Sheets in a row.

Our free goal scoring spree over the New Year has slowed down (Holt out at the sametime) but it didn't stop us winning league games and we are still in the SC.

ie. we won because we managed to keep it tight at the back and against Kilmarnock we just couldn't put the ball in the net BUT it was the FIRST TIME this had happened this season and we are into Feburary.