Next Season

Just wondering what everyone's opinions are for the current squad and how some players will cope in the SPL. No doubt Warburton will add more players so we don't know what positions he will be likely to fill but who will make the grade moving up. For me some may find it tough, to name one for example danny wilson against better teams and may end up as a squad player.

1 minute ago, bacon_tie_backs said:

Just wondering what everyone's opinions are for the current squad and how some players will cope in the SPL. No doubt Warburton will add more players so we don't know what positions he will be likely to fill but who will make the grade moving up. For me some may find it tough, to name one for example danny wilson against better teams and may end up as a squad player.

Seem to recall the Defense were good against Kilmarnock and Dundee, it will be interesting this preseason, hope we see some good opposition to test us.

9 minutes ago, bacon_tie_backs said:

Michael O'Halloran, SPL player of the month in November who ran them ragged at parkhead shortly before moving to Rangers?  Touted as a candidate for SPL player of the season.  Questionable SPL quality ya think?

I'd like to point out that Danny Wilson already has a Scottish top-tier winners medal.  As far as I'm concerned, the defence is good enough and only requires some cover.  We're pretty strong in the forward areas with MOH, Waghorn, McKay, and Miller.  The real focus for us, in my opinion, is midfield.  Holt is the only player that looks good enough.  I'd like to see the back of Shiels and Law although I can understand a case being made for the later.  Halliday fills a number of positons without really being exceptional so he's a squad player.  I'd like to see the manager go out and get a CDM and CAM of the highest quality he can bring to Rangers. 

6 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

Warburton obviously thinks crooks and windass have the ability for the spl. So DM is sorted and theres plenty of fighting for position up front. 

Didn't Warburton pursue Diagoraga even after he had signed Crooks and Windass?

9 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

He could have been available immediately though or some other reasons. I just don't know why you would purchase 2 players on a pre contract that you didnt have plans for

19 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Signed as squad players IIRC. So, you're right we need a top quality CDM and CAM. Especially since Law and Shiels will be moving on and the squad will be a little lightweight.

18 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

He could have been available immediately though or some other reasons. I just don't know why you would purchase 2 players on a pre contract that you didnt have plans for

There's no way we were signing Brentford's POTY as a short-term option.

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

Michael O'Halloran, SPL player of the month in November who ran them ragged at parkhead shortly before moving to Rangers?  Touted as a candidate for SPL player of the season.  Questionable SPL quality ya think?

I totally agree MOH will come good and no doubt will be a good signing but one player doesn't make a team 

1 hour ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

I'd like to point out that Danny Wilson already has a Scottish top-tier winners medal.  As far as I'm concerned, the defence is good enough and only requires some cover.  We're pretty strong in the forward areas with MOH, Waghorn, McKay, and Miller.  The real focus for us, in my opinion, is midfield.  Holt is the only player that looks good enough.  I'd like to see the back of Shiels and Law although I can understand a case being made for the later.  Halliday fills a number of positons without really being exceptional so he's a squad player.  I'd like to see the manager go out and get a CDM and CAM of the highest quality he can bring to Rangers. 

For me I think we need better quality than Danny Wilson in defense against better SPL attackers. I agree the midfield needs beefed up especially a defensive midfielder with a bit of dig, hopefully that's what crooks is there for.

19 minutes ago, ChesterPerry said:

We can win the title. People have been pointing out that we've struggled against St Johnstone, Killie, Falkirk though and I can see why there is concern, but I wholly believe perhaps with 1 or 2 additions - CM and CB and we can and will win the title

We can definitely put in a serious challenge, we proved that against Killie and Dundee were we totally run over them & couldn't handle us with our pace & movement. I think we will do well with a good CB, DM and a goal poacher (although hard to come by) and possibly a RB. Tav's been good this season but can give the ball away cheaply & im still not convinced on him defensively, we cant afford to do that in the SPL. 

31 minutes ago, bacon_tie_backs said:

For me I think we need better quality than Danny Wilson in defense against better SPL attackers. I agree the midfield needs beefed up especially a defensive midfielder with a bit of dig, hopefully that's what crooks is there for.

Out of interest, who do you rate as the better SPL attackers?

I do think we need a better defence imo because there will be some games in the SPL that we could be on the back foot quite a bit and we would need our defence to be up to the task. I would concentrade on getting two centrebacks, a rightback and possibly a striker. I would say a CDM but seen crooks is coming, I hope he can be up to the task.

30 minutes ago, bacon_tie_backs said:

We can definitely put in a serious challenge, we proved that against Killie and Dundee were we totally run over them & couldn't handle us with our pace & movement. I think we will do well with a good CB, DM and a goal poacher (although hard to come by) and possibly a RB. Tav's been good this season but can give the ball away cheaply & im still not convinced on him defensively, we cant afford to do that in the SPL. 

Have to agree re Tav. 

19 minutes ago, blueretro said:

19 minutes ago, blueretro said:

Any of the top 3 SPL sides have the ability to score against us to think otherwise would be navive