Custom Watercooling for PC.

TMB

Anyone tried this?  I've been reading about it recently and must say I'm tempted to give it a try.  Seems like all the parts can be had for about £100 and it looks so damn impressive.  Reservoir, pump, tube, maybe recycle my existing aftermarket rad. 

Yeah, I have an AOI cooler on my cpu, but I've asembled two custom loops for my friend in the past. When Zen gets released in jan I plan on doing a full custom loop for myself in my new TJ07 case, plan on getting two waterblocks and running a crossfire setup in my loop as well.

Edit: Here are a few pics of the last loop we built.

received_10154035100591339.jpeg

received_10154035101076339.jpeg

1 hour ago, Yata said:

Yeah, I have an AOI cooler on my cpu, but I've asembled two custom loops for my friend in the past. When Zen gets released in jan I plan on doing a full custom loop for myself in my new TJ07 case, plan on getting two waterblocks and running a crossfire setup in my loop as well.

Edit: Here are a few pics of the last loop we built.

received_10154035100591339.jpeg

received_10154035101076339.jpeg

After all that you have terrible cable management :P

Just now, aird said:

After all that you have terrible cable management :P

Yeah, my mate took these photo's after moving about a bunch of parts and hadn't done any cable management. The case is also a peice of shit imo, far too heavy and cluttered. We both have Tj07's for our next two builds and they have way more space inside for a custom loop, I even plan on using hard PETG tubing (which will probably be a fucking nightmare to work with)

3 minutes ago, Yata said:

Yeah, my mate took these photo's after moving about a bunch of parts and hadn't done any cable management. The case is also a peice of shit imo, far too heavy and cluttered. We both have Tj07's for our next two builds and they have way more space inside for a custom loop, I even plan on using hard PETG tubing (which will probably be a fucking nightmare to work with)

Mines isn't much better to be fair.

I regret cheaping out on my case after i tried to cable manage it.

I prefer a nice open air cooled case, less faffing about, less noisy(pumps tend to be noisier than fans) & cool damn near just as well.

I knocked up a new gaming rig over the weekend, those brown and beige noctua fans run as quiet as a mouse & the fans on the GPU(zotac 1070 amp extreme) only run up under heavy load while gaming, the 2x 140mm fractal fans on the front are fine for now but will probably be swapped out for some noctua PWM`s in the future to knock a decibel or two off the noise generated at the front .

The PSU is a fanless Seasonic platinum & the SSD`s are fitted on the otherside of the motherboard backplate. The case is a Fractal Designs Define S & still has space for 1 more 140mm fan on the front(or replace all 3 front fans with a 360mm rad for water cooling), 1x 140mm on the bottom next to the PSU and 3 across the top, which again can also be used for a 360mm rad.

I`ve dabbled in water AIO systems twice in in the past but found good air flow coupled with high quality fans are hard to beat for value, so my advice is unless your desperate to push your components to the absolute limit or it`s purely for `incase` aesthetics then i`d steer clear. :)

IMG_20161001_151315.jpg

4 hours ago, calio said:

I prefer a nice open air cooled case, less faffing about, less noisy(pumps tend to be noisier than fans) & cool damn near just as well.

I knocked up a new gaming rig over the weekend, those brown and beige noctua fans run as quiet as a mouse & the fans on the GPU(zotac 1070 amp extreme) only run up under heavy load while gaming, the 2x 140mm fractal fans on the front are fine for now but will probably be swapped out for some noctua PWM`s in the future to knock a decibel or two off the noise generated at the front .

The PSU is a fanless Seasonic platinum & the SSD`s are fitted on the otherside of the motherboard backplate. The case is a Fractal Designs Define S & still has space for 1 more 140mm fan on the front(or replace all 3 front fans with a 360mm rad for water cooling), 1x 140mm on the bottom next to the PSU and 3 across the top, which again can also be used for a 360mm rad.

I`ve dabbled in water AIO systems twice in in the past but found good air flow coupled with high quality fans are hard to beat for value, so my advice is unless your desperate to push your components to the absolute limit or it`s purely for `incase` aesthetics then i`d steer clear. :)

IMG_20161001_151315.jpg

Ooft! Nice rig.

Cheap watercoolers are generally a waste of time and money. You get much more bang for your buck with air.

Besides you have a fairly basic system and im sure you said you have no plans to overclock. So it would defo be wasted on you..

If you are just doing because you like how it looks. Theres far cheaper solutions out there. You might still look like fanny but atleast you can save some money!

I seen a guy on youtube make a custom reservoir out of acrylic.  A simple box shape that can then be put in a drive bay to save space.  I may try something similar since it looks easy to build and is very cheap to put together.  Wasn't sure how much water I could get in it being a dual 5.25 bay but it should be enough for water cooling.  Here's an example of one:

example reservoir.jpg

I'd recommend an AIO cooler for the CPU instead with a decent paste. A lot better than air cooling and less hassle than full loops. With a full loop you'll need to drain it at times, keep it clean etc. While an AIO still gives plenty of overclocking headroom without the hassle.

My friends loop has leaked over the years taking out an expensive sound card and recently the pump on his new loop blew. You can get an AIO for the GPU too but a decent aftermarket card should be quiet enough.