atlantic league back on?

linfield1690

1 hour ago, Inigo said:

That aint gonna happen mate. Simple facts are that unless something changes, we will fall further and further behind the bigger clubs in the bigger leagues. Absolutely nothing in Scotland will allow us to compete to our potential regardless of how effective the SFA are. 

It's not pathetic to try to compete and put yourself on a more level playing field when the cards are stacked against you.

We WILL slide to irrelevance unless something major changes. It's already happening.

Do you not think the bubble will burst some time?

The financial figures being floated about in the EPL are getting beyond rediculous, what goes up must come down.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

This is the frustrating thing. I am a huge F1 fan, and also follow golf, rugby, cricket and darts. I do not watch the EPL bar 3-4 games a season. I don't really watch football on TV outside of Rangers, and the odd big game. Taking Rangers out of the equation and Football is my 4th or 5th most watched sport.

However, living in a rural area, with slow broadband, how do I access this content without Sky?

It frustrates me that most of my subscription goes towards paying for a product I do not watch.

That is a shitty situation mate, I will do a Presbyterian prayer for your fibre upgrade

4 minutes ago, Jack The Flipper said:

The financial figures being floated about in the EPL are getting beyond rediculous, what goes up must come down.

Don't see any reason to think so. It'd require some kind of massive and unexpected shift in the world economy, because their money comes from worldwide TV, advertising and merchandising. Don't see why that will change or why it's vulnerable to a bursting bubble.

Doesn't strike me as wise for our strategy to compete to be to sit back and hope an EPL bubble bursts. What if it doesn't? We need to assume that it won't and try to compete based on that worst case scenario. Which means moving away from the Scottish League. 

Personally, I'd prefer it to be the way it used to be where money wasn't king and all the wee countries could compete, but that's gone now.

2 hours ago, Inigo said:

That aint gonna happen mate. Simple facts are that unless something changes, we will fall further and further behind the bigger clubs in the bigger leagues. Absolutely nothing in Scotland will allow us to compete to our potential regardless of how effective the SFA are. 

It's not pathetic to try to compete and put yourself on a more level playing field when the cards are stacked against you.

We WILL slide to irrelevance unless something major changes. It's already happening.

This is it.

Football, and indeed sport, is restricted heavily compared to other business in the sense it is restricted by geography. 

Rangers could be run superbly well, have the huge fan base, and do everything right. The SFA could do likewise but.... it won't change things that much - we simply cannot compete due to the money on offer being unavailable to us for geographical reasons. As it stands we can't do anything to tap into these markets - we can't up sticks and move. Winning the SPL and qualifying for the Champions League is the most any club in Scotland can achieve, barring a Leicester type miracle. 

Ajax are a good example. A club that have been held up for as long as most remember as the go to example of how to run a football club. They historically are successful, and indeed, are one of Europe's most successful clubs in the modern, post war, era - and have had all time greats play for them - regularly. They can't compete, and are slowly sliding into also ran status. 

It is depressing as a football fan to see so many big clubs, great clubs, unable to compete with Burnley/Hull/Swansea for players.

The total wage bill for all paid levels of Scottish Football is somewhere in the region of £50-55m. Crystal Palace, a club who have never won a major honour, have a budget of about £55m. That just highlights how far behind we are. 

1 hour ago, Badger said:

This is the frustrating thing. I am a huge F1 fan, and also follow golf, rugby, cricket and darts. I do not watch the EPL bar 3-4 games a season. I don't really watch football on TV outside of Rangers, and the odd big game. Taking Rangers out of the equation and Football is my 4th or 5th most watched sport.

However, living in a rural area, with slow broadband, how do I access this content without Sky?

It frustrates me that most of my subscription goes towards paying for a product I do not watch. 

Bought an android box for 30 quid and upgraded my broadband to fibre so I could stream anything I want to watch.  Sometimes you might miss 15 mins of a game but for free I won't complain. 

2 hours ago, Badger said:

This is it.

Football, and indeed sport, is restricted heavily compared to other business in the sense it is restricted by geography. 

Rangers could be run superbly well, have the huge fan base, and do everything right. The SFA could do likewise but.... it won't change things that much - we simply cannot compete due to the money on offer being unavailable to us for geographical reasons. As it stands we can't do anything to tap into these markets - we can't up sticks and move. Winning the SPL and qualifying for the Champions League is the most any club in Scotland can achieve, barring a Leicester type miracle. 

Ajax are a good example. A club that have been held up for as long as most remember as the go to example of how to run a football club. They historically are successful, and indeed, are one of Europe's most successful clubs in the modern, post war, era - and have had all time greats play for them - regularly. They can't compete, and are slowly sliding into also ran status. 

It is depressing as a football fan to see so many big clubs, great clubs, unable to compete with Burnley/Hull/Swansea for players.

The total wage bill for all paid levels of Scottish Football is somewhere in the region of £50-55m. Crystal Palace, a club who have never won a major honour, have a budget of about £55m. That just highlights how far behind we are. 

Completely disagree, we have something that the EPL does not have and that's the old firm game. We have never ever really pushed the positives in our game and we've had other countries put down our product and we've just sat there and said I suppose you're right.

I remember when the English started saying the EPL was the best league in the world and it clearly wasn't, but they kept pushing it and pushing it and eventually it is what it is.

We have been naive, no business is run the way businesses used to be run. In the past if you had a great idea, an invention or whatever - that's all you needed and you would make it. Now, is different, you have to have that idea and market it well otherwise others will soak up the income streams that you're going for and nothing will be left for you.

There are exceptions of course, but that's the way modern business is conducted.

I know it's probably too late now to do anything about it, but I'd rather we tried to conduct business the right way and get back up there instead of running away to another league.

I hope you all don't forget that I was in agreement to some sort of champions league alternative that actually starred the champions from each league, that's different. Having an overseas league is just nuts in my opinion.

5 hours ago, Jack The Flipper said:

People have been saying this for years now and there's absolutely no sign of it happening. It's said out of hope rather than expectation IMO.

Football is gradually getting almost like American sports where they have one top tier professional league and the other clubs are not on the same scale and don't directly compete against them. This hasn't quite happened domestically yet but is happening at European level but in terms of domestic football massive gaps are developing and if it continues the biggest clubs are going to have to part with the smaller ones and that means European football as the main option.

The big money in football is to be made by putting the biggest clubs head to head regardless of location and we need to be able to compete on a higher level to ever dream of being able to reach that level again.

There isn't going to be an immediate jump to a pan European league but being in an Atlantic League like setup would be the required stepping stone.