*** The Official Cheltenham Festival 2021 Thread ***

ianb1547

Complete with the required number of asterisks to make it an 'official' thread

Post your tips, comments, concerns, naps or observations.

The Festival runs from Tuesday 16 March until Friday 19th.

I will also keep a running total of tips/winners (and places) to see who knows their onions on the greatest horse racing festival we have.

A couple of sites that might help are

https://cheltenham.attheraces.com/

https://www.punterslounge.com/cheltenham-festival/cheltenham-tips

Good luck guys......and feel free to post any other sites, e.g. ernie

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

She seems to win every time I don’t bet on her horse, her and Bryany Frost :lol: 

Bryany Frost might be a better shout for Cheltenham.

Reminds me of my uncle, we're all sitting round a table after a funeral or something talking about the horses. He says, "The thing I wish I'd seen in horse racing is Nijinski running against Red Rum."

About five of us looked at him and went, "Whit?"

Guy was a multi-millionaire. From being a bookie.

2 minutes ago, theblueoysterbar said:

Bryany Frost might be a better shout for Cheltenham.

Reminds me of my uncle, we're all sitting round a table after a funeral or something talking about the horses. He says, "The thing I wish I'd seen in horse racing is Nijinski running against Red Rum."

About five of us looked at him and went, "Whit?"

Guy was a millionaire. From being a bookie.

Just clicked on she’s flat :lol: 

I’m only pay attention to Cheltenham tbf lol

5 minutes ago, ianb1547 said:

What way do we think the Irish v GB will go?

I think the Irish will take a beating this year

I think beware of Willie Mullins without Elliott there. He's going to want to stick it right up Gigginstown. 

Reckon there's a chance Elliott's owners could transfer registrations and send horses over under someone like Olly Murphy as well though.

For anyone not familiar with 'The Festival' the tips from @hammer93 are running in the following: -

16 March       3.40pm      Mares Hurdle                                           Concertista         11/10 (Bet365)

17 March       1.55pm       Brown Advisory Novices' Chase            Monkfish              4/6 (Bet365)

18 March       1.20pm       Marsh Novices' Chase                            Envoi Allen           8/11 (Bet365) 

image.thumb.png.789ce48c7d6f8d00c291dd99027be216.png

Left handed, undulating. Stiff fences; the fourth last comes soon after a turn at the top of the hill and catches out plenty. The last half mile is uphill, although the lead changes hands on the run-in less frequently than expected. Horses who race prominently often fare well on the chase course, especially in races up to 2m 4f 100yds. The hurdles course has just two flights in the last six furlongs, resulting in more emphasis on stamina; large-field races over two miles often go to hold-up horses, as there can be a tendency to go for home too soon.

To the naked eye, or to the layman, Cheltenham looks very stiff, but the two courses are actually totally different and I rate the Old Course much the quicker. So, especially on that, you need a horse that can travel easily within itself. Without one of those, you invariably find yourself snookered, because you’re always trying to get into a position to improve. Ideally, therefore, you need a horse that can get into a gap as soon as one appears, because there’s so little time to manoeuvre. If you have to think about going for a gap, nine times out of ten it’s too late - someone else will have got into it before you. As for the uphill finish, it only rides really testing if you’re on one that’s tying up. Then, it feels like an eternity from the last to the line.

See Elliott's horses are running under Denise Foster's licence. 

Ernie recommends his horses in Chases and Hurdles by Johnson, Kennedy and Russell at Cheltenham as top selections. Asked him last week if that should change if his horses run under someone else's registration and he said not to bother with them.

Thought that was a bit odd, but the guy obviously knows a lot more than I do.

8 minutes ago, theblueoysterbar said:

See Elliott's horses are running under Denise Foster's licence. 

Ernie recommends his horses in Chases and Hurdles by Johnson, Kennedy and Russell at Cheltenham as top selections. Asked him last week if that should change if his horses run under someone else's registration and he said not to bother with them.

Thought that was a bit odd, but the guy obviously knows a lot more than I do.

Gold cup tips is all I want, only bet on horses twice a year you can guess the other race.

Archived