Sands away

esquire8

Just now, OrangeRab said:

Not sure that’s right. King was 18 when he last played for us. He’s probably 3-4 years away from being close to his peak.

Don’t think any of us would trust him starting against celtic. But doesn’t mean to say he can’t be 4th or 5th choice CB. (And we will go into next season with 2 back ups in the squad at least). Fill a home grown spot. Potentially go out on loan to get experience.

I don’t personally rate him but I don’t think it’s black or white if he isn’t good enough then sell him when the boy is still a kid.

In many ways he fits perfectly what you want from your 4th choice CB. Ticks a home grown squad box. Won’t sulk at not playing each week. Young and improving. Unlikely to have to call on him to play. Injury free. Low wages. 

He wasn’t even trusted to play against Partick, and Sands who had already stated he didn’t want to even be here was played ahead of him. 

4 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Not sure that’s right. King was 18 when he last played for us. He’s probably 3-4 years away from being close to his peak.

Don’t think any of us would trust him starting against celtic. But doesn’t mean to say he can’t be 4th or 5th choice CB. (And we will go into next season with 2 back ups in the squad at least). Fill a home grown spot. Potentially go out on loan to get experience.

I don’t personally rate him but I don’t think it’s black or white if he isn’t good enough then sell him when the boy is still a kid.

In many ways he fits perfectly what you want from your 4th choice CB. Ticks a home grown squad box. Won’t sulk at not playing each week. Young and improving. Unlikely to have to call on him to play. Injury free. Low wages. 

Beale literally said he didn't have any other centre backs so he's not even looking at him as 4th choice b the sounds of it

We could get money for him so if he's going to be 4th/5th choice it makes more sense than having him in the stands.

I'm not sure about King, but it is pretty frustrating that we're so often happy to throw a senior player into a position that they aren't comfortable in instead of giving a young guy a game in his natural position. 

Sands was poor against Partick and barring a game or two in the CL qualifiers, he's always looked uncomfortable and unsure in that position. It's a low bar to clear but King couldn't really have done worse.

21 minutes ago, The Specky Liar said:

Beale literally said he didn't have any other centre backs so he's not even looking at him as 4th choice b the sounds of it

We could get money for him so if he's going to be 4th/5th choice it makes more sense than having him in the stands.

Yeh but there’s a big difference between a player now at 18/19. And in a years time. They tend to improve at that age. Clubs don’t just get rid of their whole academy teams of 18 year olds because they’re not good enough to start for the first team yet. 

The idea is you introduce them to the squad as an option that barring an injury disaster you don’t have to play them much. 

How much would we get for him. Not much probably, and he’ll be on fuck all wages.

Just doesn’t make sense to me to write players off at that age. Lowry still isn’t playing. Doesn’t mean we shd just sell him.

30 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

He wasn’t even trusted to play against Partick, and Sands who had already stated he didn’t want to even be here was played ahead of him. 

Yeh I have no doubts he isn’t good enough at the moment. But he’s not 26. He’s just turned 18. If we hadn’t had such an injury crisis and he’d been forced to play we wouldn’t be discussing him. It’s very rare for a CB these days to be regular starters for their clubs before 21. Would have thought he was perfect for 4th choice for next year. Rather than waste wages getting someone else in. 

5 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Yeh but there’s a big difference between a player now at 18/19. And in a years time. They tend to improve at that age. Clubs don’t just get rid of their whole academy teams of 18 year olds because they’re not good enough to start for the first team yet. 

The idea is you introduce them to the squad as an option that barring an injury disaster you don’t have to play them much. 

How much would we get for him. Not much probably, and he’ll be on fuck all wages.

Just doesn’t make sense to me to write players off at that age. Lowry still isn’t playing. Doesn’t mean we shd just sell him.

I'm not saying get rid of him because he isn't good enough now, I'm saying it's something we need to consider because we aren't in a position to have an asset sitting in the stands. He's been linked with half the EPL, we could get a couple of million.

28 minutes ago, The Specky Liar said:

I'm not saying get rid of him because he isn't good enough now, I'm saying it's something we need to consider because we aren't in a position to have an asset sitting in the stands. He's been linked with half the EPL, we could get a couple of million.

Yeh I’d take that and run if we cd get it.