Signing policies

3 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

If we had such a policy we’d never have seen the likes of Gazza amongst others 

and I’d not be having that 

Don’t know why NI players are coming into it - that’s daft. Scottish yes because of our European commitments. 

I think you always have to have exceptions - if we had a team full of young players but were crying out for an old head in the centre of the park to complete the jigsaw then a policy shouldn't get in the way.

Sensible post. Most of these should be constraints under any sensible trading model.

Which we claim to follow but obviously haven’t.

Would add selling players when their stock is high.

Seen so many times players have a good season and then they’re denied a move and they down tools. Or just revert back to previous levels.

15 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Sensible post. Most of these should be constraints under any sensible trading model.

Which we claim to follow but obviously haven’t.

Would add selling players when their stock is high.

Seen so many times players have a good season and then they’re denied a move and they down tools. Or just revert back to previous levels.

Glen Kamara being the prime example of this IMO.

Won 55, had a strong Euros and was constantly being talked about for a move that Summer, while we were linked with Gustavo Hamer, probably as a replacement.

It never happened, for whatever reason, and just after the season started he signed a new deal (something which clubs apparently do a lot if they promise a player they can move on and then they don’t let them).

Obviously we had Seville the following season, and he was key to that, but he was never the same player for us in his final two years before we finally sold him.

5 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

That was 30 years ago . It's like comparing apples and oranges to how football is now , Scottish football is now and how we have to operate and our standing in the game in terms of finances are now

51 minutes ago, cr3_bear said:

That was 30 years ago . It's like comparing apples and oranges to how football is now , Scottish football is now and how we have to operate and our standing in the game in terms of finances are now

My point is that it’s restrictive. And that’s not good 

2 hours ago, Blueshoff said:

I think you always have to have exceptions - if we had a team full of young players but were crying out for an old head in the centre of the park to complete the jigsaw then a policy shouldn't get in the way.

I agree. The OP’s policy would limit who comes to our club and that’s not good. 

6 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

and I’d not be having that 

Don’t know why NI players are coming into it - that’s daft. Scottish yes because of our European commitments. 

I imagine Gazza would have fallen into the DOF’s one veto a season category. 

NI fans are a massive part of our fan base and I’d argue players like Steven Davis understood more about the expectations of playing for us than half of Scotland.

Understand they don’t count towards homegrown, but I think the fans would be more patient with a side that had 3/4 Scottish/NI players in its core 11, than with players from abroad who could be perceived as just coming for the cash

28 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

I imagine Gazza would have fallen into the DOF’s one veto a season category. 

NI fans are a massive part of our fan base and I’d argue players like Steven Davis understood more about the expectations of playing for us than half of Scotland.

Understand they don’t count towards homegrown, but I think the fans would be more patient with a side that had 3/4 Scottish/NI players in its core 11, than with players from abroad who could be perceived as just coming for the cash

I’d never want to choose a player based on his nationality. Except of course when it counts towards our European quota. 
What if he was NI but spent his whole career/life in say USA. And what if he was a catholic and rabid Celtic fan?  Some interview that would be.  

It’s not feasible and way too restrictive on our already restricted pool of players that want to play in the SPFL. 

i”d still bawl and shout at them no matter where they came from 

For context, I used those 4 rules on the previous 2x seasons transfer business. Whilst I’m sure they could be tweaked and aren’t perfect, it’s interesting to see which signings it would have blocked (without the DOF/manager using the 1x veto per season). 

Blocked: 

Ben Davies

Dessers

Danilo

Lammers

Allowed (although arguably not compliant with the 1 in 3 Scots/NI rule):

Yilmaz 

Matondo

Colak

Cantwell

Raskin

Lawrence

Souttar

Cifuentes

Dowell

Butland 

Balogun

Diomande

You argue by the above, those rules aren’t strict enough. But it would have stopped us spending circa £16million in transfer fees and circa £110k p/w in wages (reportedly) on 4 players who you could argue aren’t contributing and are a big reason why we can’t sign new players currently (harsh on Danilo but it looks like we’ll never make our money back on these 4 players). 

Considering I didn’t make those 4 rules up with a view to excluding specific players (and tried to explain why we should do them), I think it’s a strong argument that we need something like this in place for the DOF/board to follow. 

On 17/07/2024 at 12:20, Blueshoff said:

It is about the team, not individuals. You need different types of characters and characteristics in the squad. I've seen teams who are outmatched in every position win games because they played together as a team. I do think that Clement will build a mainly youthful team with experience sprinkled about. A Defoe type signing would be great to have around the squad and if the op arose to get a player like that then we should take it.

The core going forward will be younger players I think.