World Cup refs targetted Crouch

Former referee Graham Poll says officials at last summer's World Cup were encouraged by Fifa to "look out for" England striker Peter Crouch.

Crouch, 26, is banned for the Euro 2008 qualifier against Israel on Saturday and Poll says that is no surprise.

He told BBC 5live: "Fifa's head of refereeing said, 'look at Crouch, he's a pain and he gets away with a lot. We need to mark him out and look for him'.

"We were shown videos of him. I tried to defend him, being English."

Poll added: "Before last year's tournament in Germany, we watched England's warm-up games.

"We had been out there for two or three weeks before, and it was pointed out the way he used his arms.

"Now, Crouch has been picking up cautions in qualifying and is out of Saturday's match."

Recalled Wigan striker Emile Heskey could be set to partner Michael Owen in Crouch's absence on Saturday.

Crouch will be available when England take on Russia in another crucial Euro 2008 qualifier next Wednesday.

Is this the same Peter Crouch who clearly pulled Brent Sanchos hair to gain an unfair advantage and score a goal which ultimately stopped England from possibly drawing with a team who had the worst odds to win the World Cup :rolleyes:

The same Greame Poll who was sent home in shame after forgetting that he had already booked a player twice when he booked him for a third time? :rolleyes:

They never cease to amaze me, always the victim!

Crouch always gives away stupid fouls. For a guy who is so tall, he shouldn't have to gain an unfair advantage.

He wasn't being targetted, just diciplined for stupidity.

What a lying moany cunt. He did an interview on Hardtalk on BBC last week and was giving it all the "poor me" stuff. Said people in the FA had it in for him and spent twenty minutes bitching about how he had been just about best mates with John Terry then felt betrayed when he criticised him in his biography or something.

As for Crouch, i nearly got chucked out a pub during that game for winding some English gits up about having to cheat to sneak a win against what was basically a Dundee defence. Fucking robot in disguise as well, transforms into a shit footballer.

With all due respect to the violins, is this not the same Peter Crouch who once elbowed a defender's face in the box so he could get a header and subsequently scored from it?

He's no angel, mark my words.