le guen saying how he needs barry

minstral

Le Guen eyes top spot but won't risk Ferguson

STEPHEN HALLIDAY

(shalliday@scotsman.com)

PAUL Le Guen has placed Rangers' final UEFA Cup Group A fixture against Partizan Belgrade at Ibrox tonight firmly in perspective by leaving Barry Ferguson, his captain and most influential player, out of his squad.

With qualification for the last 32 of the tournament next year already secured, the Rangers manager has decided Sunday's visit to Govan of runaway Premierleague leaders Celtic is of far greater significance than making sure his team gain at least the point they require this evening to top Group A.

There is a dual purpose in the omission of Ferguson, with the in-form Scotland midfielder one booking away from a UEFA Cup suspension.

Le Guen does not want to lose him from the first leg of their last 32 tie in February, but he is also keen to ensure Ferguson is fully fit and rested for Sunday's Old Firm showdown.

Dado Prso and Nacho Novo are among the others Le Guen may leave out tonight with Sunday in mind.

While Rangers' title race is already almost all but run with a 16-point gap separating them from Celtic, it is clear the task of reclaiming some pride and credibility against their traditional rivals is dominating Le Guen's thoughts.

"Barry is not in the squad," he confirmed. "I don't want to take a risk, I don't want him to be suspended for the following game. I will make other changes. Some players will rest, or will be on the bench at the beginning of the game. The pitch will be very demanding and we play on Thursday evening then early afternoon on Sunday, so I have to make some changes.

"It is impossible to play two massive games with such a short time between them. We must cope with the situation."

As he tries to juggle his resources, however, Le Guen appreciates that the incentive to win their UEFA Cup group remains a powerful one for Rangers.

It would mean they face a theoretically more beneficial last 32 draw against one of the third-placed teams from the other UEFA Cup groups.

Slipping to second place, which would happen if they lose to Partizan and there is a winner in tonight's other Group A tie between Auxerre and Livorno in France, would see them paired with one of the eight Champions League drop-outs who include CSKA Moscow, Benfica, Werder Bremen and Shakhtar Donetsk.

STEPHEN HALLIDAY

(shalliday@scotsman.com)

PAUL Le Guen has placed Rangers' final UEFA Cup Group A fixture against Partizan Belgrade at Ibrox tonight firmly in perspective by leaving Barry Ferguson, his captain and most influential player, out of his squad.

With qualification for the last 32 of the tournament next year already secured, the Rangers manager has decided Sunday's visit to Govan of runaway Premierleague leaders Celtic is of far greater significance than making sure his team gain at least the point they require this evening to top Group A.

There is a dual purpose in the omission of Ferguson, with the in-form Scotland midfielder one booking away from a UEFA Cup suspension.

Le Guen does not want to lose him from the first leg of their last 32 tie in February, but he is also keen to ensure Ferguson is fully fit and rested for Sunday's Old Firm showdown.

Dado Prso and Nacho Novo are among the others Le Guen may leave out tonight with Sunday in mind.

While Rangers' title race is already almost all but run with a 16-point gap separating them from Celtic, it is clear the task of reclaiming some pride and credibility against their traditional rivals is dominating Le Guen's thoughts.

"Barry is not in the squad," he confirmed. "I don't want to take a risk, I don't want him to be suspended for the following game. I will make other changes. Some players will rest, or will be on the bench at the beginning of the game. The pitch will be very demanding and we play on Thursday evening then early afternoon on Sunday, so I have to make some changes.

"It is impossible to play two massive games with such a short time between them. We must cope with the situation."

As he tries to juggle his resources, however, Le Guen appreciates that the incentive to win their UEFA Cup group remains a powerful one for Rangers.

It would mean they face a theoretically more beneficial last 32 draw against one of the third-placed teams from the other UEFA Cup groups.

Slipping to second place, which would happen if they lose to Partizan and there is a winner in tonight's other Group A tie between Auxerre and Livorno in France, would see them paired with one of the eight Champions League drop-outs who include CSKA Moscow, Benfica, Werder Bremen and Shakhtar Donetsk.

In actual fact he was saying that he DIDN'T need Ferguson in the Partizan Belgrade game

STEPHEN HALLIDAY

(shalliday@scotsman.com)

In actual fact he was saying that he DIDN'T need Ferguson in the Partizan Belgrade game

Bull-shit! doh

As he wanted him for the celtic game because he rated him as a player.

Le Guen has now gone and as far as I am concerned that's it from me on him. I just want to get on with following the club and looking forward to the future!

Le Guen has now gone and as far as I am concerned that's it from me on him. I just want to get on with following the club and looking forward to the future!

Here here. Let's learn our lessons from this sad chapter in our history and move on to bigger and better things. Learning the mistakes of your past can benefit you in the future. Let's just hope we all learn our lessons not to think someone will be an instant success. and also....

Never expect great things from SHEEEEEEBO!!

:lol:

AND where exactly does he say he wanted him for the Celtic game ?

He obviously would want to use him but that is not said anywhere in the article by Mister Le Guen.

He obviously would want to use him but that is not said anywhere in the article by Mister Le Guen.

Le Guen said that he wanted to rest Ferguson as we had important games coming. As Ferguson was one of our best players.

he rated barry then and just used barry to get out of ibrox.

Le Guen said that he wanted to rest Ferguson as we had important games coming. As Ferguson was one of our best players.

a simple paste of the actual quote will suffice,

I still can't see where Mister Le Guen actually says that

I think you may find that Stephen Halliday said that

le guen gave the story to the reporter. :rolleyes:

So these were Stephen hallidays words and not Le Guen's actual words

that's why they use quotes.

All Le Guen said about Ferguson in quotes was that he didn't want him to be suspended for next game. No quote about how highly he rated him or needing him more than any other player.

Stephen made that interpretation,.

All Le Guen said about Ferguson in quotes was that he didn't want him to be suspended for next game. No quote about how highly he rated him or needing him more than any other player.

Hey! Alba climb off your high horse (probably a rocking horse) Your'e wrong again.

I personally watched an interview on Rangers World where he said,he wanted Barry fit an rested for the Celtic game. :rolleyes:

Hey! Alba climb off your high horse (probably a rocking horse) Your'e wrong again.

I personally watched an interview on Rangers World where he said,he wanted Barry fit an rested for the Celtic game. :rolleyes:

and that has what to do with this thread ?

Stupidity is no excuse !

and that has what to do with this thread ?

Stupidity is no excuse !

That's it!! am no talking to you anymore. (hah)

Alba -- mate,

You clearly support the wrong team. I figure those guys that wear those funny hoop things are more your speed.

Get with the programme! We're RFC supporters!

No you appear to be Barry supporters

when was the last time any of you lot actually attended a game yet you all feel the need to question those who attend every game.

Alba -- mate,

You clearly support the wrong team.  I figure those guys that wear those funny hoop things are more your speed.

Get with the programme!  We're RFC supporters!

No you appear to be Barry supporters

when was the last time any of you lot actually attended a game yet you all feel the need to question those who attend every game.

Whats wrong with being barry supporters ? He is a bear , i think you support some other team , why don't you let us convert you? It is so much better to be a bear :lol: <bouncy>

Alba H - Just WHY are you so hateful of BF?

I personally think you were in love with the PLG idea so much you blame the END of PLG on Barry and cannot forgive him.

GET REAL - PLG brought on his OWN downfall. Its my opinion he wanted out and USED BF to get out.

PLG is one happy man right now - and WE all should be too.

As someone else said GET WITH THE PROGRAMME.

Your BF comments are becoming a pain, not to say BORING.

WE welcome you to once again become a RANGERS supporter encompassing all the squad, including BF and all PLG's signings. Even SEBO!!

No offence intended, BTW.

<_<

Alba H - Just WHY are you so hateful of BF?

I personally think you were in love with the PLG idea so much you blame the END of PLG on Barry and cannot forgive him.

GET REAL - PLG brought on his OWN downfall. Its my opinion he wanted out and USED BF to get out.

PLG is one happy man right now - and WE all should be too.

As someone else said GET WITH THE PROGRAMME.

Your BF comments are becoming a pain, not to say BORING.

WE welcome you to once again become a RANGERS supporter encompassing all the squad, including BF and all PLG's signings. Even SEBO!!

No offence intended, BTW.

<_<

:lol: <tankkk> RESPECT MY AUTHORITOIRE :lol: <tankkk> <tankkk>