Walter Smith

Am I the only person who is not welcoming this news with open arms?

It seems to me like DM, who I very rarely,if ever criticise, is making this appointment to paper over the obvious cracks which have appeared in the past few days. It's always going to be a winner when you bring back a legend.

Ok he will put the "Rangers" back into us but how will he get on with a small transfer budget when you consider that he always had an open cheque book the last time around? Can we trust Walter to pluck out gems for peanuts?

I say this simply because Walter never set the heather on fire when he was at Everton working with less money then he got at Ibrox and was never highly sought after he left them.

Although I will back him 100%,to me it seems like a desperate move when you have to go back to a manger who left you nearly ten years ago. We should be looking to the future not the past.

It seems to me like DM, who I very rarely,if ever criticise, is making this appointment to paper over the obvious cracks which have appeared in the past few days. It's always going to be a winner when you bring back a legend.

Ok he will put the "Rangers" back into us but how will he get on with a small transfer budget when you consider that he always had an open cheque book the last time around? Can we trust Walter to pluck out gems for peanuts?

I say this simply because Walter never set the heather on fire when he was at Everton working with less money then he got at Ibrox and was never highly sought after he left them.

Although I will back him 100%,to me it seems like a desperate move when you have to go back to a manger who left you nearly ten years ago. We should be looking to the future not the past.

i also am not overwelmed with this news, i can imagine this back firing on us.

im with you mate. (tu)

I'm with you. Walter is a legend and I am a firm believer that you shouldn't go back to the same job once you have moved

Ally definitely with Walter advising in some capacity

I would like to see Walter in an advisory capacity, Ally McCoist as manager backed up by Iain Durrant and Stuart McCall.

I reckon that would be a good mix of coaching experience with Ally, Stuart and Iain. And management experience with Walter and Stuart McCall through his Sheff Utd experience.

I would like to see Walter in an advisory capacity, Ally McCoist as manager backed up by Iain Durrant and Stuart McCall.

I reckon that would be a good mix of coaching experience with Ally, Stuart and Iain. And management experience with Walter and Stuart McCall through his Sheff Utd experience.

Get in touch with SDM now!! (tu)

Because Walter knows the players and the Scottish scene bringing him back would certainly bring about short term stability. I suppose in the harsh light of day though we have to ask the rather awkward question of why did we let Walter go in the first place, and if we brought him back would those old shortcomings simply re-emerge? Of course since he was here he has broadened his horizons by picking up experience in the EPL and on the international scene, so I think this Walter Smith would be better than the 9 in a row one.

It didn't work out too well when we brought the late great Jock Wallace back for a second term. But WS and AMcC have done a great job with Scotland in similar circumstances. The major difference of course is that games come thick and fast in club football, they will not have a couple of months of prep between games. <scared>

he hsnt exactly had an open cheque book with the scotland squad has he?

Id say the Scotland team at the minute, is better than the Rangers team.

Taking the Rangers job will not be an easy task, I just hope they dont go back to McLeish long ball tactics, that will be a huge step backwards.

I've been trying to remember why we let Walter go, I mean he was winning the league every year, so why was he not allowed to continue? I seem to remember that just before the shareholders meeting where his resignation was announced we had went out of the Champions League and the UEFA Cup in quick succession, so I assume that it was the lack of progress in Europe that done him in? It's fortunate then that the main priority of the new regime must be domestic success (even one more season of the league effectively being over by October would have been disastrous for the club).

I'm not sure Smith is the right appointment, a bit of a backwards step.

If however, if he can, he takes the job on a temporary basis while still the Scotland manager and helps McCoist with the thought that at the end of the season McCoist has what it takes to make him full time manager.

If not, it gives Murray a few months to think about who should be manager.

The league is gone, although we do NEED to finish second. Hopefully stability is all we need to secure second spot after all we are second now while being in disarray.

Although i'm not optomistic about McCoist and Smith i was excited when Le Guen came, so i've been wrong once already, hopefully I am again.

We can't get any worse.

It didn't work out too well when we brought the late great Jock Wallace back for a second term. But WS and AMcC have done a great job with Scotland in similar circumstances. The major difference of course is that games come thick and fast in club football, they will not have a couple of months of prep between games. <scared>

Take your point but the good thing about the domestic game is that you really get to know your opponents, so there isn't so much preparation involved for each game.