Scotland vs Italy - Official Thread

Jasper

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should Boyd start on Saturday ??

Been having a debate with a few guys in the office and they reckon Miller should start ahead of Boyd on saturday due to his higher workrate etc etc . For me this is a total nonsense, Boyd should start alongside McFadden (who I see as the perfect partnership) as they both compliment each other.

Also the stats speak for themselves in terms of goals per game ratio:

Craig Beattie ..................Played 7.......Scored....1

Kris Boyd .......................Played 12 ....Scored....7

James McFadden .............Played 36 ....Scored....13

Kenny Miller ...................Played 34 ....Scored....10

Garry O'Connor ..............Played 15 ....Scored....4

Miller and McFadden for me on Saturday. They'll cause the Italian's more problems. Beattie and O'Connor should be nowhere near the squad, they are f*cken awful!

its hard, do you drop mcfadden and play boyd/miller?

move mcfadden to left mid and mcculloch to right? leaving fletcher/fergie midfield or fergie/brown. i wouldnt play fletcher if it came to that.

or do you play mcfadden/boyd, and bring miller on in second half if boyd hasnt scored (which imo, he plays, he will score) to run at italy. do we play 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 with faddy deeper. so many options, which is good.

swap mcfadden with mcculloch, muff, and i think thats what eck will go with.id imagine he'd want his strength and aerial ability in there to unsettle the tally defence and try to play miller in with flick ons. and he'll use faddy as the super sub if needed. its not what id go with but i think thats what big eck will go with.

swap mcfadden with mcculloch, muff, and i think thats what eck will go with.id imagine he'd want his strength and aerial ability in there to unsettle the tally defence and try to play miller in with flick ons. and he'll use faddy as the super sub if needed. its not what id go with but i think thats what big eck will go with.

__________Hartley__________

____Ferguson____Fletcher____

Brown_____________McCulloch

___________Miller___________

Like that?

Back 4, Hutton____McAnus____Weir____? Naysmith fit?

__________Hartley__________

____Ferguson____Fletcher____

Brown_____________McCulloch

___________Miller___________

Like that?

Back 4, Hutton____McAnus____Weir____? Naysmith fit?

yeh thats what i think he'll go for. id go with your team though, would prefer faddy in the team, either behind miller or on the left.

Not a Fletcher fan, over-rated to f*ck

id actually say it was the opposite. a majority of the utd fans dont like him and think that SAF only plays him because he is scottish. i think he is a good player, hes good on the ball, can pass and he is a big game player. my only concern for him in the itly game is his lack of match fitness. probably on played a full 90 minutes once or twice in the past 2 months.

Gigi Buffon believes that Juventus team-mate Vincenzo Iaquinta could be the man to undo Scotland's planning in Saturday's all important clash at Hampden Park.

Scotland have been preparing meticulously in their bid to prevent Italy from playing their game before picking up the pieces, as the clock winds down towards Saturday afternoon's big game.

Under the circumstances, Vincenzo Iaquinta - who is expected to start on the bench - could prove to be the key, believes Buffon.

"Iaquinta is one of the most in-form players of Serie A at the moment," he said.

"I think he can make a big contribution on Saturday.

"He has so much hunger, so much enthusiasm to consolidate himself on the international scene."

Praise For Scotland

The Azzurri number one was full of praise for his opponents.

"Scotland have good players, especially in attack, like Kenny Miller and James McFadden," he remarked.

"We will have to keep a close eye on them - they both have very good technical skills."

"I hope that I can be up for the challenge. There are certain games that you need to be at your best and this is one of them.

"We all have a responsibility and we know that we need to be ready in order to achieve our aim. The important thing is for everyone to play a crucial role in this team."

Italy may have to do without Milan defender Massimo Oddo for their decisive Euro 2008 qualifier against Scotland tomorrow.

The Azzurri flew to Glasgow this morning needing just a point to secure a place in Austria and Switzerland.

While Roberto Donadoni was relieved to welcome back Gianluca Zambrotta from injury, he has been given a late headache as Oddo limped away from the final training session in Florence.

The ex-Lazio defender’s foot was stamped on near the end of the session and he was taken to hospital in pain.

The national side’s doctor Andrea Ferretti has ruled out a fracture, but Roma’s Christian Panucci is set to step in.

Donadoni could opt for a 4-4-2 system with Mauro Camoranesi behind Luca Toni and Antonio Di Natale or an attacking trident if Vincenzo Iaquinta gets the nod.

Italy will train at Hampden Park this evening ahead of tomorrow’s 5pm kick-off.

this is apparently the scotland team for tomorrow

Gordon

Hutton

Weir

McManus

Naysmith

Brown

Fletcher

Ferguson

Hartley

McCulloch

McFadden

thoughts?

To be honest not really surprised, Hartley playing in the holding role, McFadden up front, if there is about 20 - 30 minutes left and we still need a goal to win take of Hartley and put on either Miller or Boyd (or both) with someone else coming off.

Gordon

Hutton

Weir

McManus

Naysmith

Brown

Fletcher

Ferguson

Hartley

McCulloch

McFadden

thoughts?

To be honest not really surprised, Hartley playing in the holding role, McFadden up front, if there is about 20 - 30 minutes left and we still need a goal to win take of Hartley and put on either Miller or Boyd (or both) with someone else coming off.

yeh id imagine thats big ecks thinking behind it. the tallies would probably expect miller to start, so they might not be ready for a faddy wonder strike :)

just watched big ecks and davie weirs press conference. big davie said that no matter what the result we cant lose sight of what the team has achieved throughout what has been a successful campaign. from what they were saying the squad seems relaxed and confident in what they have to do tomorrow!

Gordon

Hutton

Weir

McManus

Naysmith

Brown

Fletcher

Ferguson

Hartley

McCulloch

McFadden

thoughts?

I'm happy with that team, looks quite solid with the midfield looking strong and capable of making sure Gattuso and Pirlo don't get a chance to controll the game. I reckon this line up will give us a chance to keep it 0-0 for most of the game at which point McLeish can introduce Miller and Boyd (probably around the 65 - 70 minute mark)..... I think if we are going to score its best to do it late rather than too early, I wouldnt want us to 1-0 up after 10 minutes and have the Italians bombarding us for the remaining 80 mins....