Italy's Lucky 17

blueben_d

In Italy, the number 17 is considered unlucky. Some Alitalia planes have no row 17, some Italian hotels have no room 17 and in Roman numerals XVII is an anagram of VIXI which translates into "I have lived" with the implication "my life is over" or "I am dead".

Italy play Scotland in a crucial Euro 2008 qualifier at Hampden Park on Saturday, 17 November with kick-off at 1700 GMT - for the record, Italy have won four of their 11 matches played on the 17th of a month in the last 30 years.

:harhar:

This is one thing the British press (Not just the Scottish) are really bad for. Researching just absolute shit that won't have any effect at all on the outcome of big matches or tournaments and claiming we have an advantage.

If I were a football player and had to play one of my biggest cames on Friday the 13th I really couldn't give a shit.

It was the same with the English press going on about why England would win the World cup not that long ago. Reasons like, Elvis was in the CHarts when they won before and he's in it again and just loads of other pish like that.

Don't go for this sort of thing as I've never been superstitious, will walk under ladders etc (that reminds me I still can't get that paint out of my jacket :rolleyes: ).

At the end of the day, we will beat Italy, Croatia will beat England, we'll go above England in the world rankings get into the top seeded pots for the World Cup and England in the second. Go to Euro 2008 next year and reach the quarter finals.

17 is an unlucky number in Italy. Apparently the Italians are in a bit of a sweat because the game kicks off at 17:00 gmt on the 17th :D

I know 13 is considered unlucky because that's the number of people at Jesus's last supper but why the hell is 17 considered unlucky?

Your question made me curious, so I looked it up on a couple of Italian sites. This is what I found:

It goes back to Roman days. The number 17 in Roman numerals is XVII. According to this site I found, as the anagram of the Roman numeral's anagram is VIXI, Latin for "I lived", which would mean being dead. That is why it is considered an unlucky number.

Friday 17 is considered an unlucky day, because Friday is the day on which Jesus was killed.

Furthermore, if Friday 17 comes in November, that is the unluckiest day of all, because November 2 is memorial day to the deceased in Italy, and November is therefore called "the month of the deceased".

So, there you have the whole story!

Found this on a site...