Games Consoles

bluenose_jr

I'm getting a new 50" plasma question is, should I upgrade my console?

Ive got a PS2 & a stack of games:

Will blu ray fade away, PS3 games are pretty dear?

Is a 360 the way to go

Is a Wii only good when its 2 player

Should I stick with my chipped PS2

You can D/L every DS game & you can take it on planes etc

Blu ray at the moment is battering HD DVD 70% to 30% in sales at the moment so i don't think it's going to fade out soon.

Although time will tell if Sony have another Betamax problem.

Get a PS3 but i am also biased, the wii is good for a quick game now and again, the fixbox ati graphic chip pops out when it gets hot and you get the rrod error although i think they have sorted this on the newer stock so don't buy an old one if you are going to go for these.

A 50" is a bit extreme, but i have heard that macs are now coming with blu-ray drives and if the stats are correct that barkie stated then you cant go wrong with a ps3. The xbox 360 doesnt even have a hd dvd player so it would be an optional extra and as the price of games their is very little in difference.

It will also depend what type of gamer you are, if it is serious then i would suggest a ps3, if it more family go for the wii bit i cant see why you would go for the xbox but i havent had one.

I would have a look about for tvs(i dont know much about them) but i would scrinp on some features just to get a few extra inches.

I think it depends on what you're looking for.

I have a Wii but that's just cos I love Nintendo games and platformers. In reality the graphics ain't much better than the PS2 and gaming's all you can really do with it, unless you link it up to the internet which seems daft if you've already got a PC. Plus a majority of the party games are shite.

The X-Box has a lot more gamers games, ie. FPS, sports etc. The online aspect's meant to be really good too. However, I can see Microsoft being the first to upgrade again, making the console obselete.

The PS3 seems your best bet. It has blu ray built in, the online aspect is going to get really good this year and the games (from what I've seen so far) are top class.

Forget which one sells most or has the best advertising or is the cheapest, the PS3 looks like it's the one that'll slowly become the best of all due to its potential. I'm getting one myself in a couple of months once I've saved up enough dosh to get a good bundle.

Wii

Pros

[+] - Nintendo games (Mario Galaxy, Metroid, Zelda)

[+] - Price (cheapest)

[+] - Multi-player / party games

[+] - Internet browser

[+] - Virtual console (SNES, NES, Megadrive and N64 titles for download)

[+] - Runaway leader in sales should prove attractive to developers

[+] - New control scheme - Resident Evil 4 and the upcoming Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 title utilise the wiimote really well

Cons

[-] - Not HD

[-] - No media capabilities

[-] - Not much in the way of serious third party support so far

[-] - Online matchplay is somewhat cumbersome

[-] - Not much more powerful than last generation of consoles (PS2, GC, Xbox)

[-] - New control scheme - some developers have thrown any old shit onto Wii to cash in on the success

Game Selection

According to Gamerankings...

1 game(s) with an average rating of more than 95%

3 game(s) with an average rating of more than 90%

8 game(s) with an average rating of more than 85%

13 game(s) with an average rating of more than 80%

Key titles: Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime: Corruption, Zelda: The Twilight Princess

Pros

[+] - Fantastic games line-up

[+] - Xbox Live - best online service by a distance

[+] - Marketplace - XBLA, Xbox games for download, HD movies,

[+] - HD

[+] - Massive software attach rate attractive for developers

[+] - Achievements / Gamerpoints - when used correctly, encourages extra play and prolongs life-time of a game

Cons

[-] - No HD movie playback as standard (HD-DVD player is £120 extra)

[-] - Not wireless as standard (£60 extra)

[-] - Xbox Live has a subcription fee (£40 per year)

[-] - Reliability (this has now been addressed somewhat - refer to forums for Falcon models if you go down this route)

[-] - Achievements / Gamerpoints - when used incorrectly, encourages e-penis

Game Selection

2 game(s) with an average rating of more than 95%

11 game(s) with an average rating of more than 90%

29 game(s) with an average rating of more than 85%

76 game(s) with an average rating of more than 80%

Key titles: Halo 3, Gears of War, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Call of Duty 4, Orange Box

PS3

Pros

[+] - Decent games line-up now. MGS4, GT5, Killzone 2 due in 2008. FFXIII probably 2009.

[+] - PSN - Free, Home due in 2008

[+] - PSN - PS1 games for download, additional content planned - Remote play with PSP

[+] - HD

[+] - Blu-ray out of the box

Cons

[-] - 40G model has no backwards compatibility

[-] - No wireless headset for voice-chat as standard

[-] - Price - most expensive

[-] - Worst seller of the three - might discourage some developers

[-] - 360 trumps it's software library

Game Selection

0 game(s) with an average rating of more than 95%

13 game(s) with an average rating of more than 85%

32 game(s) with an average rating of more than 80%

Key titles: Uncharted, Motorstorm, Ratchet and Clank, Call of Duty 4, Resistance

Personally, right now, I'd choose the 360. I'm all about the games, and right now, 360 takes that crown by a fair margin but I don't think you can go wrong with any of the current consoles - they all have a lot to offer. The best scenario this generation is to have a Wii and then either a 360 or a PS3 (or all 3 if possible obviously). The experiences offered by Wii and the HD consoles is so different that it's worth exploring both.

Hope this helps.

Wii

Pros

[+] - Nintendo games (Mario Galaxy, Metroid, Zelda)

[+] - Price (cheapest)

[+] - Multi-player / party games

[+] - Internet browser

[+] - Virtual console (SNES, NES, Megadrive and N64 titles for download)

[+] - Runaway leader in sales should prove attractive to developers

[+] - New control scheme - Resident Evil 4 and the upcoming Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 title utilise the wiimote really well

Cons

[-] - Not HD

[-] - No media capabilities

[-] - Not much in the way of serious third party support so far

[-] - Online matchplay is somewhat cumbersome

[-] - Not much more powerful than last generation of consoles (PS2, GC, Xbox)

[-] - New control scheme - some developers have thrown any old shit onto Wii to cash in on the success

Game Selection

1 game(s) with an average rating of more than 95%

8 game(s) with an average rating of more than 85%

13 game(s) with an average rating of more than 80%

Key titles: Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime: Corruption, Zelda: The Twilight Princess

Pros

[+] - Fantastic games line-up

[+] - Xbox Live - best online service by a distance

[+] - Marketplace - XBLA, Xbox games for download, HD movies,

[+] - HD

[+] - Massive software attach rate attractive for developers

[+] - Achievements / Gamerpoints - when used correctly, encourages extra play and prolongs life-time of a game

Cons

[-] - No HD movie playback as standard (HD-DVD player is £120 extra)

[-] - Not wireless as standard (£60 extra)

[-] - Xbox Live has a subcription fee (£40 per year)

[-] - Reliability (this has now been addressed somewhat - refer to forums for Falcon models if you go down this route)

[-] - Achievements / Gamerpoints - when used incorrectly, encourages e-penis

Game Selection

2 game(s) with an average rating of more than 95%

11 game(s) with an average rating of more than 90%

29 game(s) with an average rating of more than 85%

76 game(s) with an average rating of more than 80%

Key titles: Halo 3, Gears of War, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Call of Duty 4, Orange Box

PS3

Pros

[+] - Decent games line-up now. MGS4, GT5, Killzone 2 due in 2008. FFXIII probably 2009.

[+] - PSN - Free, Home due in 2008

[+] - PSN - PS1 games for download, additional content planned - Remote play with PSP

[+] - HD

[+] - Blu-ray out of the box

Cons

[-] - 40G model has no backwards compatibility

[-] - No wireless headset for voice-chat as standard

[-] - Price - most expensive

[-] - Worst seller of the three - might discourage some developers

[-] - 360 trumps it's software library

Game Selection

0 game(s) with an average rating of more than 95%

13 game(s) with an average rating of more than 85%

32 game(s) with an average rating of more than 80%

Key titles: Uncharted, Motorstorm, Ratchet and Clank, Call of Duty 4, Resistance

Personally, right now, I'd choose the 360. I'm all about the games, and right now, 360 takes that crown by a fair margin but I don't think you can go wrong with any of the current consoles - they all have a lot to offer. The best scenario this generation is to have a Wii and then either a 360 or a PS3 (or all 3 if possible obviously). The experiences offered by Wii and the HD consoles is so different that it's worth exploring both.

Hope this helps.

Cheers thats a big help

Get a PS3 if you want to watch HD movies. Regardless of whether blu-ray goes down the tube (unlikely) PS3 has a dvd upscaler anyway. Great games coming out that you won't get on Xbox like Gran Turismo 5. Depends on your taste I guess. Personally I thought games like Gears of War and Halo 3 sucked and a much bigger fan of PS games but that's just me.

This all about taste and opinion. I just got a 360 and think its amazing, with so many cracking games!! It already has its own GT5 in Forza 2!!!

Have to agree with brissyger that Halo 3 sucked, the first one was amazing but with the third it just gets so so boring putting 30 rounds into another flood dude!!

You can't use the old 'XBox has a better library of games' excuse with any real sense I don't think. Theres one reason for this...it's been out longer than the PS3.

I think we all know that within a year, PS3 will be wiping the floor sales and games wise with any other console on earth. Look how long the legacy of the PSX and PS2 lasted, no danger with a PS3.

With a HDTV also, stunning mate.

I say dont go for the wii out of any of them. I had one, its great for a few months, mates around etc, get it back to one player and your a bit bored, especially in a lazy mood when you dont want to wing around that wiimote and just want to sit and button mash the shit out of some germans on medal of honour :lol:#

Also the wii doesnt play dvds, or hd stuff, and it just didnt do alot to what my mates ps3 could do.

PS3 is my choice, beautiful design, high definition gaming, i have a 40gb but its plenty for me, dont care about the nonbackwards compatibility all the games i had on ps2 look shite if you play a ps3 game now anyway.

Xbox 360 is cool too, but i cant stand the controller, maybe because i grew up with nintendo, then playstation (SNES controller was the basis of the playstation controller as sony and nintendo made the playstation together :lol: ironic eh?)

ALSO..

Companies, gamers alike are all saying yes yes, ps3 isnt BRILLIANT now, but the games will come out for it, and it will eventually be the best, its graphics when running at full in about a year or so will be alot better than the capability of xbox 360, nevermind like 3 times that of the wii.

The bottom line is, I don't know one person who owns both Xbox and PS3 who doesn't prefer the PS3.

And don't worry about no backwards compatibility on the 40gb version, there's that much shit you can download for free for the PS3 that it'll keep you amused anyway.