Darren Ward

ibleedblue

The Express claims Sunderland's keeper, Darren Ward*, is high up on Walter's signing targets.

Can't be any worse than Soutar.

*EDIT This should be Darren Ward. Had written it from memory from reading the express before I left the house.

There changed it for you, don't know anything about him, but hasn't Gordon displaced Ward?

Guest therabbitt
wheres paul gallacher??? he was decent enough as a back up keeper. or even better cudiccini at chelsea.

Paul Gallagher not that wee striker that was with Blackburn for a while??

On the goalkeeper front, Rangers are on the verge of picking up Sunderland's Darren Ward on loan until the end of the season. The Welsh internationalist played a pivotal role in Roy Keane's side's promotion run last season, but was replaced in the summer by Scotland No.1 Craig Gordon. Ward's arrival at Ibrox will open the door for Roy Carroll to complete his move to Derby.

Smith last week refused to let the Northern Irishman quit before finding a replace- ment as back-up for Allan McGregor but with Ward on his way, Carroll will be allowed to complete his return south.

Keane has confirmed he is willing to offload some of his fringe players. "If clubs come in wanting to take our players on loan and, if I think it is right for us, I'll put it to the player."

Roy Carroll is prepared to dip into his own pocket to secure his move to Derby County - he'll give Rangers the money to buy his replacement.

The Northern Ireland goalkeeper is so keen to come back to England and play for Paul Jewell that he has volunteered to come up with the £50,000 loan fee needed to sign Darren Ward from Sunderland, reports the Daily Mirror.

Carroll has been on the verge of joining the Rams for a fortnight and has even been down for personal talks.

But Rangers boss Walter Smith would not let him go until he found suitable cover.

Much-travelled Ward has emerged as his top target, but Sunderland are demanding a 'rental' fee for the rest of the season - and Rangers do not want to pay for it.

However Carroll has grown so frustrated by the stand-off that he has told Rangers to take the money from him to allow him to get on with his career.

Tell me the £50k was not the "snag" Watty was on about?