Common sense needed from Roddy Forsyth

OlegKuznetsov

Common sense needed from Rangers youth

By Roddy Forsyth

Last Updated: 1:09am GMT 08/02/2008

Last week's reference to a song which mentions the traditional sectarian divides in Northern Ireland - which was bellowed lustily in the youth dressing room at Murray Park and was clearly audible outside - prompted the usual depressingly abusive responses from certain quarters.

Rather more soberly, one reader asked, 'What was the point of the story?'

The point, it should hardly need to be said, is that when a club is under a warning from Uefa about choruses and chants, which it blames on a small and obdurate section of its support, it implies a want of discretion or common sense when similar noises emanate from its own premises.

And as for the demented purists who insist that the lyrics quoted here were not correct, they will find that the version in these pages was the original parody of 'I Was Born Under A Wandering Star' and not one of the bastardised variations that have appeared from time to time over the years.

Meanwhile, the land to which the parody refers has moved on, to the extent that those previously sworn enemies, Ian Paisley and Martin McGuinness, are prospering so well in their coalition government that they are now sardonically known as the Chuckle Brothers.

I'm genuinely baffled how a youth team singing an admittedly "non bastardised" version of this song merits a first, let alone second, article.

Did he condemn the Fields of Athenry sung by Pearson and Hartson even if we are to deny the IRA add-ons by both players which were clearly audible?

With John Reid's well publicised past of singing and indeed coaching IRA songs, let alone being key player in the illegal Iraq war, did Roddy question his appointment as Celtic Chairman?

Also, have UEFA banned this song? Have either the SPL or SFA banned this song? Are there any grounds to ban this song? Any comments on the "orange b******s", "huns", "masons" and "IRA" chants by Celtic this season.

Roddy, what is your point? I know that there are those keen to use any stick to beat us, but where is the stick? I can only assume that after writing such a trite piece, the flak has triggered some defence mechanism. If you lack common sense, then don't go criticising kids for the same thing, particularly when you're wrong. Balance would be appreciated in certain journalists. Are you running some kind of competition with your new stable mate, Spiers?

mate the comments on the original story are great every post seems to be some bhoy saying we "breed" them. what a mankey lot <cr>

Never saw those ones, but I do enjoy the Herald/Scotsman ones. I often wind up the tims on that.

They can't handle the facts relating to Celtic's founding as an exclusively Catholic club and the Catholic players who played for us before MoJo.

I'll have a look now. Incidentally, I posted my comments on the new one.

These newspapers through their polemic, inaccurate articles and by allowing the nonsense in comment sections afterwards are the ones making problems worse instead of better.

Forsyth is an embarrassment.

It's funny how he can allegedly hear some Rangers youth players singing a non-offensive song but can't hear thousands of Celtic fans sing offensive ones every other week?

Yet, some would have us believe there is no agenda.

These newspapers through their polemic, inaccurate articles and by allowing the nonsense in comment sections afterwards are the ones making problems worse instead of better.

It's funny how he can allegedly hear some Rangers youth players singing a non-offensive song but can't hear thousands of Celtic fans sing offensive ones every other week?

(tu)

Guest Andypendek

EXCITING NEW COMPETITION!!!

hearts v dundee utd - player cautioned by police, fans throwing objects at players.

rangers v someone - some singing.

can you guess, dear reader, which is the more newsworthy?

the first reader with the correct answer drawn from the hat

wins a copy of the Roddy Forsyth guide to principled reportage.

Pathetic really - some kids having a laugh. Not to be taken so seriously. There must be a dearth of real news or maybe some cannot be bothered to search for it.

Is this article seriously about "I was born under a Union flag?" <cr>

Can't wait to hear what he thinks about our racist obsession with singing "Flower of Scotland" at the start of international games. What a twat doh

I very much agree with every point.

EXCITING NEW COMPETITION!!!

hearts v dundee utd - player cautioned by police, fans throwing objects at players.

rangers v someone - some singing.

can you guess, dear reader, which is the more newsworthy?

the first reader with the correct answer drawn from the hat

wins a copy of the Roddy Forsyth guide to principled reportage.

:lol:

I enjoyed that one Andy! (tu)

What is that all about?

He sets to defend the first article and ends up obliterating it's premise. There isn't a premise... hes a tosser! :angry2:

He has obviously assumed wrongly and made a fool of himself and insulted the youth team and our club in the process. The second article should have been a full scale apology.

Sad day when a journo preys on wee boys for an article. :2g:

What is that all about?

He sets to defend the first article and ends up obliterating it's premise. There isn't a premise... hes a tosser! :angry2:

He has obviously assumed wrongly and made a fool of himself and insulted the youth team and our club in the process. The second article should have been a full scale apology.

Sad day when a journo preys on wee boys for an article. :2g:

That mob have made a career preying on wee bhoys ! :sherlock: