Dailly directs credit towards his manager

OlegKuznetsov

Dailly directs credit towards his manager for revitalising Rangers as Novo accepts goals will not guarantee a start

By LISA GRAY AND BARRY JOHNSTON

WALTER Smith recently celebrated his 60th birthday but Christian Dailly insists the Rangers manager's will to win is as strong as ever.

The veteran manager may give the impression of being more laid back and chilled in his second spell at the Ibrox helm, having already played a major role in delivering nine consecutive titles in the 1990s.

But Dailly is not fooled for a minute. He believes Rangers probably would not have been celebrating a tenth consecutive league win had Smith not been the man in the dug-out for Wednesday night's 4-0 triumph at Tynecastle.

As Rangers continue to challenge on four fronts this season, Dailly insists Smith is just as driven by the need for success now than he has been at any other point in his managerial career.

"His will to win is as strong as ever, if not stronger," said Dailly. "Without a doubt, it's relentless.

"The team has just won ten league games in a row. It's no coincidence that Walter Smith is the manager and the team plays in his way. The team spirit is tremendous, it's brilliant.

"It's a massive club but, within the actual confines of the training ground, it feels smaller because it's so close knit. It feels as though you are playing with your friends and that is a big part of being at Rangers. It's one thing they have got perfect."

Dailly worked under Smith with Scotland and admits he may not have made the return journey north of the border for any other manager. As it is, the 34-year-old defender has no regrets about leaving West Ham for a short-term deal at Ibrox.

"Walter Smith being manager here was a massive influence," he said. "Having worked with him before in my career, I knew I was not going to get a better manager.

"I knew from that point of view, it would be great. Obviously I know Rangers and it's as good a club as you are going to get."

Dailly made his first start as a Rangers player against Hearts and was in superb form after earning his debut as a substitute against Panathinaikos in the Uefa Cup last week.

"It's exciting for me and I've enjoyed it even though I haven't been playing all the time," he said. "There are such good people at the club and everything is done to the highest standard from the youth level all the way up. It's a great experience for me to be here.

"It's good to do well but it's the same old story for me – whenever I'm asked to play, I'll play and do my best. I think that gets appreciated a lot. It's been nice to play in a couple of great games. The Panathinaikos game was a great European experience and it was good to be involved again against Hearts.

"I could easily not be playing on Saturday but I'm enjoying it. It's a team game and that's the main thing."

Dailly also aims to add to the Scottish Cup winner's medal he won with Dundee United in 1994 against his current employers. First up is a clash with his former club in next month's CIS Insurance Cup final, while Rangers also retain an ongoing interest in the Scottish Cup and the Uefa Cup. However, the championship is the top target and Rangers currently boast a four-point advantage over champions Celtic.

Dailly said: "Competing on all fronts is exciting and that's what I wanted to do. It's going to be a bit different and exciting and that's why I'm here."

Nacho Novo, who took his season tally

to nine with two goals against Hearts, also hailed Smith, praising his manager for the squad rotation policy he utilises and insisting Rangers have the firepower to beat Celtic to the title. Novo has been a bit-part player as Smith switches between the Spaniard, Daniel Cousin, Kris Boyd and Jean-Claude Darcheville, but the former Dundee forward is happy to answer his manager's call when needed. "The manager is trying to use the squad and keep us winning and it's been working well," said Novo "It's good for the strikers to all be getting games and scoring, as it gives him options.

"It was a tremendous performance against Hearts, our best of the season. From the first whistle we set a high tempo and never let them settle. Our attitude was right, as we knew it had to be. There are some massive games ahead that will decide things. So we need that kind of performance every time."

The team spirit is tremendous, it's brilliant.

Absolutely brilliant. We all disagree with Smith from time to time but, In Walter We Trust!

His man-management skills are second to none!

When I read articles like this, it fills me with optimism, not over-confidence but just optimism. To see the Club we love operating with a smile on its face again is more than welcome.

Lets hope its the beginning of something special once again.

The team spirit is tremendous, it's brilliant.

Absolutely brilliant. We all disagree with Smith from time to time but, In Walter We Trust!

tbh - our disagreements, and often strong at that, suggest that at times we don't all fully trust him.

The pelters the Dailly signing got is evidence, as are our objections at Buffel's absences.

His man-management skills are second to none!

They are, but they're still not perfect.

It feels as though you are playing with your friends

I like to hear this kind of thing coming out,it makes u super comfortable with the players we have going out there every week

The entire post and quote is so loaded with an underbelly of unspeakables, I wouldn't know where to begin :lol:

It feels as though you are playing with your friends

I like to hear this kind of thing coming out,it makes u super comfortable with the players we have going out there every week

The entire post and quote is so loaded with an underbelly of unspeakables, I wouldn't know where to begin :lol:

True.:D