Microsoft want to be pals with Sony

barkie

The Financial Times is reporting today that Stan Glasgow, President of Sony Electronics, has stated that there have been discussions with Microsoft to incorporate a Blu-ray drive into the Xbox 360. After the death of HD-DVD Microsoft announced that they would be discontinuing the HD-DVD add-on, leading on to discussions between Microsoft and Sony regarding the possibilities of a Blu-ray add-on, or even a fully integrated drive for future SKUs. The result of this would be an increased price point for the Xbox 360, along with a portion of all hardware revenue going to Sony. Yes, that means Sony would be making money off of every 360 and PS3 sold.

Of course, Microsoft are being coy about this entire thing, stating that they have "made no such announcement. Games are what are driving consumers to purchase game consoles and we remain focused on providing the largest library of blockbuster games available." Nothing new there, then. Nothing's confirmed yet, but we're intrigued to see where (if anywhere) these talks will lead

How will Xbox owners feel if M$ release all new xbox360s with blu ray and future xbox games are blu ray only ?

that will mean splashing out on another drive.

Could be, could also be Sony trying to give it large at Microsoft about HD-DVD failing :P

I'm not gonna buy a Blu-Ray player for Xbox360 anyway (I'd rather buy a regular Blu-Ray player, but that's expensive right now).

And it'll be years before they even start making games on Blu-Ray.

About paying for yet another drive: I never paid for the HD-DVD player, since I wanted to see wich format would come out on top.

I'd imagine Microsoft coming out with one soon enough, but it has yet to be seen what price it will be. If they sell them for like €70 I'll get one, but not if they charge €150 ;)

edit: Where did you get this ? Sounds like bullshit with the part of Microsoft having to pay Sony for using Blu-Ray, since Sony doesn't have the patent on Blu-Ray.

Yeah, I read it by now on the XBox-forums.

Microsoft denies it, but so did they about the Elite.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Someone said something good on those forums by the way:

The BR-DVD addon would be a useless endevor, by the time all of the other manufacturers (within the BRDVD consortium alliance) start rolling out players the level of competition would be too high.

Expect to see a price war between the big 8 manufacturing companies this summer. I expect BR-DVD players to drop another $100 this summer as manufacturers try to clear stock for v2.0 compliant players.

My guess is they'll just bring out an external Blu-Ray drive instead of making new consoles with a built-in drive.

Drop the price of the 360 and bring out a decent, yet not too expensive external Blu-Ray drive and Sony can go take a hike :P

I payed my Xbox 360 around €400 with Gears of War with it, if they bring out the external drive for (pure speculation here) somewhere between €100 and €150 I'll still be off cheaper than a PS3 (wich cost +-€600 over here, no games included) :P

Still waiting for my answer on the question if Sony has a patent on Blu-Ray though.