Walter rallies troops

JR

Prove You're Winners

by Lindsay Herron

WALTER SMITH has called on his players to take the next step in the resurgence of Rangers by becoming winners again in the CIS Cup Final on Sunday.

Of course, returning to Hampden for a major final will be a special occasion for Smith, who enjoyed so many of these in his previous term with Rangers.

This is the longest spell Rangers have gone without winning a trophy since the late 1960s and he knows victory must be secured over Dundee United to show everyone that Rangers are back.

He said: "We now have an opportunity to go and win something and it is important that the players take the next step.

"I suppose there is an extra ingredient to the final given that it is Dundee United where I enjoyed some League Cup success as assistant manager.

"Jim McLean worked tirelessly at Tannadice trying to be successful and it was the League Cup that gave him and Dundee United the breakthrough.

"On a personal level it has been a really good tournament for me over my career and obviously very good for Rangers too.

"We know that Dundee United have a strong side. Craig Levein has worked very hard in the time he has been there. Indeed, he joined United just before I came back to Rangers.

"He has instilled a great desire to win in their team. There has been an upturn in their fortunes in the league and he has done an excellent job.

"We need to bring to fruition the desire of winning. We have been on a good run recently and hopefully we can continue by lifting the cup.

"The build-up is terrific, even if this year is a little bit shorter than normal. It's always great to be involved in a final and we hope it is another one we can look back on with satisfaction."