Murray rejected Rangers bid

Possible re-post. Admin delete if neccessary:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11788_3404188,00.html

I will only sell to the right people to take the club forward, says owner Murray

Sir David Murray has revealed he rejected a buy-out bid for Rangers last summer because he did not believe it was in the best interests of the club.

Murray, who is approaching 20 years in charge of Rangers, has previously admitted that he wants to hand over the helm eventually.

But the owner has re-iterated his desire to only sell Rangers to the 'right people' who can take the club forward.

He told Rangers TV: "I repeat this again, I will not sell the club to anybody who I don't believe is in the best interests of Rangers.

"I could have sold the club last summer when we had an opportunity to do a deal. But when I examined it, I genuinely did not believe it was in the best interests of the club.

Good shape

"Yes, eventually, I will go. All I can say is that when I do move on, I will hopefully leave the club in good shape and leave it to the right people to take Rangers forward.

"As I come up to my 20th year, I have won 13 titles and 28 trophies overall. I have been reasonably successful, I have enjoyed the highs and gone with the pain of the lows - that is part of being chairman of a big club like Rangers.

"If you haven't got the broad shoulders, then don't take it on and leave. But I am happy to take on the responsibility, it goes with the ticket.

"We won the CIS Cup recently and that was very satisfying for all Rangers fans, including myself, and I would love to win more this season, that is what we are striving for.

"I have always tried to be honest and treat everyone correctly. You can't keep everyone happy, everyone has an opinion, but I think throughout my stewardship I have always tried to have an integrity, and hopefully I will be judged that way when I finally leave."

Revamp plans

Rangers have £750million plans to revamp Ibrox, including rebuilding the stadium to a 70,000-capacity based on the Sapporo Dome in Japan.

Speaking about the situation, Murray added: "There has been a lot of cynicism about this, but that is the way of things here in Scotland. But I had further meetings last week with councils and developers.

"As soon as it is possible, and all legals are drawn up, we will make an announcement.

"There is a wonderful opportunity to regenerate the whole of the area, the stadium, the areas across the road and the whole Hinshlewood area of Govan.

"I hope our supporters will be pleasantly surprised when we make an announcement as soon as we can."

I guess the most positive thing to be said is that there is obviously something serious within these plans.

Murray is a blowhard at times (aren't we all!) but he wouldn't be making various quotes like these if he didn't have something in mind. I guess the scale and content can be debated but it's good to know work is being done to improve the stadium.

The details will certainly be very, very interesting.

Nae name mentioned I note. I smell, I smell s h h e e e e i i i i t t e ! :sherlock:

The fact that there is no name mentioned doesn't make it any less believable. I wouldn't expect him to disclose names. However, saying all that, I also don't believe him. Someone may have approached, but I doubt any bid was made for Murray to refuse it.

Nae name mentioned I note. I smell, I smell s h h e e e e i i i i t t e ! :sherlock:

The fact that there is no name mentioned doesn't make it any less believable. I wouldn't expect him to disclose names. However, saying all that, I also don't believe him. Someone may have approached, but I doubt any bid was made for Murray to refuse it.

What about that Irish bloke, I'm sure he's a politician and businessman, his interest was in the papers back then.

I'm not sure what SDM would have to gain from lying about this.

It is unlikely to make Rangers more attractive because all he's doing is saying it's hard to buy because you have to give a crap about the club.

It is unlikely to make Rangers more attractive because all he's doing is saying it's hard to buy because you have to give a crap about the club.

It could look as if he does genuinely care about the club though and he won't just jump at the first bid. Truth be told, he really doesn't give a shit and would probably jump at the first bid that met his asking price.

It could look as if he does genuinely care about the club though and he won't just jump at the first bid. Truth be told, he really doesn't give a shit and would probably jump at the first bid that met his asking price.

My point is that if it's harder to buy, there will be less bids?

My point is that if it's harder to buy, there will be less bids?

One could also say that he's not had any serious bids so he's attempting to place any interested parties under pressure.

Doesn't help our long-term plans if he keeps talking about how he wants to sell.

What about that Irish bloke, I'm sure he's a politician and businessman, his interest was in the papers back then.

David Burnside? His interest seemed to disappear when he was elected as MLA for South Antrim. The way he went about it seemed all wrong to me, and i don't think he was ever serious.

That would also be my assessment.