Richard Gough & Carlos Cuellar

The Artist

In my opinion,I firmly believe that big Carlos is the best central defender we have had since Goughie.Who have we had who was better than king cralos since Gough?Long may it continue,lets hope king carlos is a bear for life WATP

Says a lot for Cuellar's profile amongst our fans that after less than a year at the club he's been spoken about in such a way.

Obviously since Gough, we've had centre-halves like Amo, Moore and JAB - all of whom did very well in their time here. They had their own strengths and their own negatives but I think it's fair to say Cuellar is a more complete player than any of them.

At this stage, the only issue I have with labelling Cuellar as the new Gough is that of time. One season (albeit a great one) isn't enough to judge a player's contribution. The signs so far are very positive but I'll be interested to see just how well Cuellar does when we hit some bad form and/or he becomes the senior partner in the central defence.

I know I'm nit-picking here and I'm as excited and as impressed as any other bear with this fantastic defender. How Spain can ignore him for Euro 2008 I'll never know.

What gets me is that we might never have found him if we had not played Osasuna the previous season.

Our scouting network is worse than usless at times and we need to focus on more quality like Cuellar, there is no doubting that there are a few gems out there, we just need to be more proactive in finding them.

Hopefully the exposure we received from Champions League and UEFA cup exploits will help us attract a better calibre of player.