Efrem's Kirky double delight

GEORGIOS Efrem today praised head coach Billy Kirkwood for masterminding the all-conquering Rangers youth team's impressive double Double.

The Cypriot front man was a key member of the under-19 side which beat Celtic 3-1 in a thrilling SFA Youth Cup Final at Hampden.

A last-minute John Fleck wonder goal forced extra-time in a final the Hoops looked destined to win with a Cillian Sheridan goal.

Sub Andy Little put the Gers in front with a cute back heel and then Fleck struck in the dying seconds to complete a remarkable comeback.

Ex-Arsenal kid Efrem, who will step up into the reserves at Murray Park in the summer, reckons former Dundee United manager Kirkwood has to take the credit.

The 18-year-old explained: "I have only been here a season, but it has been a brilliant experience. To win the league and cup was wonderful.

"Billy Kirkwood has been fantastic for me personally. He is constantly giving me hints and tips and I feel I have certainly improved.

"He gave us a bit of a talking to at half-time in the final, too. He felt we had started well, but had eased off and he wanted us to lift it a bit. In the end, we got the result.

"I am leaving the youths for the reserves next season. Hopefully with the grounding I have got I can progress as a player."

The lightning-fast front man, who can play on either wing, has already featured on the bench for Walter Smith's side and has been tipped to break through soon.

He says several of the side which has landed the league and cup double for the second season running can go on and make a name for themselves.

"I think the boys who have played this season and last have shown we are capable of winning trophies and competing."

GEORGIOS Efrem today praised head coach Billy Kirkwood for masterminding the all-conquering Rangers youth team's impressive double Double.

The Cypriot front man was a key member of the under-19 side which beat Celtic 3-1 in a thrilling SFA Youth Cup Final at Hampden.

A last-minute John Fleck wonder goal forced extra-time in a final the Hoops looked destined to win with a Cillian Sheridan goal.

Sub Andy Little put the Gers in front with a cute back heel and then Fleck struck in the dying seconds to complete a remarkable comeback.

Ex-Arsenal kid Efrem, who will step up into the reserves at Murray Park in the summer, reckons former Dundee United manager Kirkwood has to take the credit.

The 18-year-old explained: "I have only been here a season, but it has been a brilliant experience. To win the league and cup was wonderful.

"Billy Kirkwood has been fantastic for me personally. He is constantly giving me hints and tips and I feel I have certainly improved.

"He gave us a bit of a talking to at half-time in the final, too. He felt we had started well, but had eased off and he wanted us to lift it a bit. In the end, we got the result.

"I am leaving the youths for the reserves next season. Hopefully with the grounding I have got I can progress as a player."

The lightning-fast front man, who can play on either wing, has already featured on the bench for Walter Smith's side and has been tipped to break through soon.

He says several of the side which has landed the league and cup double for the second season running can go on and make a name for themselves.

"I think the boys who have played this season and last have shown we are capable of winning trophies and competing."

That's the impression I got from watching the cup final, him and fleck in particular impressed me

Great to hear from the lad and I can't wait to see him debut for the first team in 4 1/2 years :rolleyes: !

Yes, I agree, but how many will actually get to play in the first team?

Walter is not for playing youths it would seem.

think that depends on sundays result. If we beat celtic i can see a few of the youngsters getting a chance in some of the 4 games we have to play in 8 days! I think effrem fleck and furman probably have the best chance of getting a game before the end of the season.