Cuellar Hits Out

deviltrout

http://news.asianbookie.com/news.cfm?id=18991

Carlos Cuellar was the toast of Scottish football two weeks ago when the Rangers midfielder was named the SPL Player of the Year but no one still seems to know his name in his native Spain.

"No one called from the federation to congratulate me," complained the 26-year-old from Madrid in an interview with the internet site of the Spanish sports daily Marca on Monday.

Despite his stunning season in the Scottish Premier League, with Rangers in second place and also still in contention for the Scottish Cup and UEFA Cup, Cuellar feels ignored by Spanish national coach Luis Aragones.

However, with Scottish domestic games regularly shown live on Spanish television, Cuellar feels that Aragones can't claim to not know about what he's done this season.

"I don't think the door to the national team is entirely closed but it's much harder to get through it from here," added Cuellar, with a turn of phrase similar to the way he's spun around many opponents on the pitch at Ibrox.

Cuellar has yet to be capped by Spain and is not expected to feature in Aragones' squad for the forthcoming Euro 2008 finals but he still has much to look forward to in the coming month or so.

"The truth is that we can lift four titles this year, added Cuellar.

"We already have alreday won the Scottish League Cup, we are very well placed in the league, and in the UEFA Cup and just one step away from the final.

"It's going to be complicated to win everything but we are all aiming to have conquered the lot by the end of the season."

Rangers, without Cuellar who was suspended, went down 3-2 at Celtic in the Old Firm derby on Sunday to hand their bitter rivals a five point advantage at the top of the SPL although they still have three games in hand.

Cuellar moved to Rangers from Spanish first division side Osasuna, where he had spent the previous four seasons, last summer for a fee of four million euros but he now looks like a bargain buy.

"The coach (Walter Smith) gave me a lot of confidence from the first day I arrived and I responded by wanting to do the best that I could. I arrived here with a lot of enthusiasm and although life is very different to Spain, I think I've adapted well.

"The Spanish league is obviously much stronger than Scotland. In Spain, there are many more good teams. Here, it always seems to be between Celtic and Rangers although the three teams who are fighting for the UEFA Cup place are quite good as well and can make life difficult.

"But I'm very proud to have won the SPL Player of the Year award. It's diffcult to win it and it's a reflection of the good year that I and my team mates have had," added Cuellar, whose Rangers contract lasts until 2011.

Quite worrying that he realises it will be difficult to break into the Spain squad whilst playing in Scotland. If he has real ambitions to play for his country then we could be in trouble!

I remember Klos having this problem with Germany. Christ can you imagine if they hadn't played Gazza for this reason...

It's stupid, and TBH I wouldn't be happy with a manager that ignores players for playing in certain leagues. Cuellar's a decent player, playing regular matches (no fucking joke), and in a decent run of form. I'm not expecting him to walk into the team, but a place on the bench at least.

Ah well fuck em, King Carlos knows we appreciate him,he gets the recognition he deserves here (even some of the tims admitted he deserved his award).

It will be very difficult for a player in the SPL to get in Spain's squad, they don't rate it as a serious league.

I don't even know if he's as good as/ worse than/ better than other contenders, I would imagine there'll be a load of good central defenders in Spain.

, I would imagine there'll be a load of good central defenders in Spain.

I'm sure there are, which is why I don't expect him to walk into the team. Considering how he works in this team (he works harder than any foreigner should care), imagine how hard he'd work for his national side.

He deserves at least a place on the bench, it's not that unreasonable.

Alright, now I'm confused, didn't McGeady win player of the year?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/s...rem/7357815.stm

Sorry to highlight it, but I'm slightly confused here. Also, this crowd were doing an article on Cuellar stating people don't know him that well back in his homeland. In the very first line they called him a flipping midfielder doh

As usual the title of the article, and the thread, bear little resmblance to what he said in the quotes provided. Where does he 'hit out' at the national manager?

My title was more appropiate IMO

Alright, now I'm confused, didn't McGeady win player of the year?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/s...rem/7357815.stm

Sorry to highlight it, but I'm slightly confused here. Also, this crowd were doing an article on Cuellar stating people don't know him that well back in his homeland. In the very first line they called him a flipping midfielder doh

Think Mcpieholegreetyface won the player's player of the year (why I don't know), but Cuellar won the public vote thingy. I'm sure there is two!

Ah, alittle more searching and I found

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/s...rem/7347583.stm

Thanks Poetry in Blue (tu)

I just cannot understand how the players of Scottish football could have picked it over Carlos!?!?

I missed this link (was staying in the country with no computer access at time) glad to see some people still have common sense! :rangers:

"I don't think the door to the national team is entirely closed but it's much harder to get through it from here," added Cuellar

"No one called from the federation to congratulate me," complained the 26-year-old

The first is a reasonable statement, as well as being obvious. The second is hardly 'hitting out'. It could range from a slight moan to an unconcerned statement of fact and doesn't mention the manager.

"I don't think the door to the national team is entirely closed but it's much harder to get through it from here," added Cuellar

"No one called from the federation to congratulate me," complained the 26-year-old

The first is a reasonable statement, as well as being obvious. The second is hardly 'hitting out'. It could range from a slight moan to an unconcerned statement of fact and doesn't mention the manager.

You're nitpicking to a level I'm proud of old bean.

You're nitpicking to a level I'm proud of old bean.

It's not nitpicking old fucking bean. Cuellar has not been in the press slagging/hitting out/attacking the Spanish manager....OK? I seem to remember you moaning about the BBC doing this.

While I can understand the press doing it, I fail to see why a Rangers fan would.

Spain and italy rarely pick players who dont play in their respective leagues. Spain have only recently started selecting players who play in england as some of their best like torres have moved there. i doubt cuellar will ever get picked for spain while playing for rangers as they see the scottish league as very poor quality.